LC Torana Grill and Headlight Surrounds

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#26 _Donyboom_

_Donyboom_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

We are currently working on the LJ Headlight Surrounds, once these are completed we will move on to reproducing the LC Headlight Surrounds. At this early stage we could only give a broad estimate of Mid-Late 2013 availability for these.

LC Grilles are currently under development and we could only estimate that they will be available in 2013.

Any news on the lc grills?

#27 evl666

evl666

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Car:71 LC 73 LJ

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

I'm going to bump this...how are the lc surrounds going???

#28 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

Considering we dont have LJ ones yet i'm guessing there not. 

Good things come to those who wait.....And Phils will never be any good going by the phone conversation i had with Phill himself. 

Cheers. 

#29 evl666

evl666

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:02 PM

Yes my mate had problems with Phil but I believe his current lj ones come from the same press as rare spares do which have only just become available this week. But lc are the ones that people are desperate for!!!

Edited by evl666, 06 June 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#30 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

I think a lot of people had troubles with Phill. He ended up callign me himself after i bitched to his useless sales team long enough, and we had about a 45 minute conversation. 

What i got out of it is he's not interested in reproducing correct items, just producing something close enough. 

I will never buy from him again. 

I ended up about $20 out of pocket for having the displeasure of dealing with him as he refunded me the purchase price but not return postage of the pile of shit items which as i said to him "i wouldn't have even used to feed my dog out of"

Cheers. 

#31 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

Lol,

Yes my mate had problems with Phil but I believe his current lj ones come from the same press as rare spares do which have only just become available this week. But lc are the ones that people are desperate for!!!

Interesting if they are from the same place.... Does rares do no research and development and or manufacturing of their own ?

#32 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Lol,
Interesting if they are from the same place.... Does rares do no research and development and or manufacturing of their own ?

The LJ headlamps rims that Rare Spares have been developed by Rare Spares and nothing to do with Phil they will be available in about 6 weeks
Les

Edited by les, 06 June 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#33 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

The LJ headlamps rims that Rare Spares have been developed by Rare Spares and nothing to do with Phil they will be available in about 6 weeks
Les

LC?

#34 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

LC Maybe made after the LJ taillamp rims are finished

#35 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

just talking to a fella on another site Les and he went to rare spares in canterbury on sat and they mentioned to him that you's arent going to remanufacture the lj headlight.i dont think this fella at rs is up to date that you;s have indeed already made them and will be out shortly as mentioned above.

cheers Maz

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 12 June 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#36 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

just talking to a fella on another site Les and he went to rare spares in canterbury on sat and they mentioned to him that you's arent going to remanufacture the lj headlight.i dont think this fella at rs is up to date that you;s have indeed already made them and will be out shortly as mentioned above.

cheers Maz

Thanks Maz
I will be there tomorrow I will check it out
Les

#37 _uglybob_

_uglybob_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

So no news on the repro LC grills still then?

#38 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

The LC Grilles are still in the pipeline - under tooling. We do not expect to see a new off tool sample until 2015.

Edan.

#39 evl666

evl666

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:23 PM

Bump again....it's 2015 now so how are we going with the Lc headlight surrounds and grills?

#40 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:15 AM

LC grilles are a pain in the arse, almost impossible to make a reasonable repair. i would join the que for a new one.

Regards

#41 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

Unfortunately the factory who are developing the LC Grille have experienced great difficulties in producing this item to the standard of quality required. At this stage we can not advise whether they will be successful or not. We will post updates as they become available.

#42 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

Have you guys fixed the tooling for the lj headlight surrounds yet?

#43 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

Question?
We're the LC grills made from a liquid alloy poured into a mould OR a sheet of alloy placed in a press and pressed out?
DazM

#44 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

Pressed sheet. 

It frequently amazes me that we had the technology to do things 45 years ago which current technology cant replicate. 

Cheers. 

#45 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:14 PM

DJ
You took the words out of my mouth.
Firstly, market research if there is a demand for the product. Maybe not!
If so, research how they were made. Who was the previous manufacturer? And so forth.
Maybe the demand doesn't out weigh the effort, if this is the case fair enough.
DazM

#46 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,118 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:17 PM

Me thinks you might be waiting a long time for these

#47 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

Unfortunately as GMH were producing for a current production car at that time along with spare parts crash repair requirements, that estimated usage from then to now dwarfed current demand here now 40+ years later. Therefore attempting to reproduce this complex stamped large scale part in low production run volumes is challenging for the restoration market. I believe Bomber is correct and it was likely pressed potentially with a secondary or third stage pressing operation also occurring. We are persisting however only time will tell if it is successful or not.

Edan

PS The old GMH supplier of the LC grilles are long out of business unfortunately

#48 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:46 PM

I wonder what happened to the tooling. Not just for grilles but heaps of other panels. I'd be very interested in a set of new guards for my poor old HR.

Regards

#49 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:18 PM

I actually thought that Rares bought the tooling for guards etc from Holden and Ford in the distant past to be able to make these.

#50 evl666

evl666

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

I have just cried a little tear over the grills! How about the Lc headlight surrounds?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users