TORANAFEST THE FUTURE

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#26 _gtrtorana_

_gtrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'm right up for holding it in Canberra and also the idea of sharing it around the states in the future.

#27 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Way back when, the QLD Monaro club used to run Cruisetime, they roped in QLD Torana Club to help out to spread the load on the say.

Maybe other clubs might be able to chip in and help out. ?

The offer has always been there from the QTCC to help out in whatever way we can (well, since Ive been Pres anyway). The offer still stands.

As for sharing it around other states each year, I dont like the idea. It has taken HVTC 20 years to get the event to where it is today. I dont think anyone else could possibly do the event justice without a heavy involvement from Mick and HVTC. The Canberra idea may just work so long as there is (and already seems to be) strong support from the seasoned organisers. No doubt the Canberra guys will be getting some intensive training helping out with 2013 to ensure 2014 is a seemless transition of venue.

My concern with different state each year idea is that the hand over of the event will not be as well managed as the HVTC\CTC proposal which leaves too much room for frOck ups. I know that I would want to be involved in at least two events before I accepted the responsibilty of the QTCC hosting the show.

All the same, I doubt that is going to happen. It is the HVTC's baby and I know I wouldnt be handing over my hard work unless I was 100% sure it was in good hands.

#28 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Well coming from an SA person, I am quite happy with the possible change in state. It makes it much easier for me to attend, and I won't have to take too much time off work to go

hold it in mildura or hay making it more central for a few states [just an idea]

#29 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

My concern with different state each year idea is that the hand over of the event will not be as well managed as the HVTC\CTC

Is there a way to be involved partly? I'm sure your experience could help with some organisation, etc.

Would a joint venture get too political?

One good thing about having at different locations is getting more of Aus. involved, you'd expose more of the town's locals to Toranas as well as having other Aus. Torana owners being able to participate.

There's also opportunity for some interesting cruise locations.

Rather than just random locations, probably best to choose locations where many Torana owners live to ensure attendance.

Are there any stats as to where the most Torana owners live?

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 22 October 2012 - 05:34 PM.

#30 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

yes there is queensland, and this is my point

One good thing about having at different locations is getting more of Aus. involved, you'd expose more of the town's locals to Toranas as well as having other Aus. Torana owners being able to participate.

There's also opportunity for some interesting cruise locations.

that will also allow the cars to be seen by the people that walk around there streets looking for something to do on a sunday.
cheers gong

#31 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

While I agree that hosting the event in different states each year would expose the event to more of the community nationally, the organisation would be quite difficult. Even at a basic cost level, how do you ensure you can run an event and cover costs when you cant be guaranteed of X participants? Newcastle gets at least 250 entrants each year so the income can be estimated and costs accounted for quite easily. If the venue moved to say, Brisbane, where it has never been held or tested, there is no absolute guarantee 250 people will enter. What about the additional cost of flying VIP's? Who wears that? Sponsorship? Will the same sponsors by used even though they do business in a different state to the event? Is the hosting club then required to find the additional sponsors in 12 months? The list goes on and on, but what I am trying to demonstrate is that moving the event from one place to another is no easy task, plus it has associated risk. In my position representing the QTCC I would be thinking very carefully and gathering a lot of data before exposing the club to any potential losses.

That is my view as a club committee member.

As an entrant, have it in Brissie for sure. I could drink all day and get the missus to pick me up :spoton:

#32 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Why doesnt the sydney torana club hold it one year and give the hvtc a break then it still can be held in nsw just saying thats all

#33 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

^^^^^ Your dreaming again Icey

#34 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

^^^^^ Your dreaming again Icey

Why cant they handle it

#35 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

There is no where that will suit everyone you may lose some northerners but you will gain some Southerners and mabey a few from the west. I jumped on where is and worked out the distance from CBD to CBD, Newcastle : Sydney 161, Canberra 436, Brisbane 788, Melbourne 1027, Adelaide 1557, Canberra : Sydney 286,Victoria 660, Adelaide 1191, Brisbane 1204. Sorry to any one from the other capital city's you are not close to either destination.

#36 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

perth is not close to any of yourse either :P

#37 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

To be Neutral for everyone, move it to Tassy :party:

The trouble with Tas is that I am not so comfortable in having to bring the sister to a Toranafest. :stirpot:

#38 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

The trouble with Tas is that I am not so comfortable in having to bring the sister to a Toranafest. :stirpot:

And it would mean that only Toranas with V8's or V6's fitted could attend .... under the 2 Head rule !!! :clappin:

#39 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

now now dont start these jokes has i can tell you the only tassy people that have 2 heads are the males,,, 1 on the shoulder and 1 in the pants

cheers gong

#40 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

Posted Yesterday, 09:30 PM
There is no where that will suit everyone you may lose some northerners but you will gain some Southerners and mabey a few from the west. I jumped on where is and worked out the distance from CBD to CBD, Newcastle : Sydney 161, Canberra 436, Brisbane 788, Mackay 1788, Melbourne 1027, Adelaide 1557, Canberra : Sydney 286,Victoria 660, Adelaide 1191, Brisbane 1204. Sorry to any one from the other capital city's you are not close to either destination

Qld doesn't stop at Brisbane! :)

Edited by Statler, 23 October 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#41 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

I can see the event only growing bigger by moving it around a bit... No doubt there will be more Toranas from Victoria & South Australia coming along to an event in Canberra, after they attend their first event, they are addicted and declare that they are happy to travel to Newcastle the following year.

Down here in Vic on the weekend, they had 102 Torana's attend their annual Maroondah Dam Cruise, I'm tipping many of these have never ever heard about Toranafest (I still mention it to Torana owners who have never heard of it).

A change is as good as a Holiday, as long as the HVTC guys are always the ones in control and continue to run it every other year, I think its going to continue to grow!

#42 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

Newcastle gets at least 250 entrants each year so the income can be estimated and costs accounted for quite easily. If the venue moved to say, Brisbane, where it has never been held or tested, there is no absolute guarantee 250 people will enter.

Yeah, I see what you mean. This is where some market research would come in handy as well as a lot of pre-planning.

Some ideas would be to get expressions of interest from the local clubs, seeing how many of their members would be interested in attending, pre-sale tickets may be an indicator. What are the numbers like at their current events and when's the best time to hold them so they're not too close together.

Finding out which city has the most registered Toranas (if the authorities will divulge such information).

Then it'll be up to promotion and you may have to put the news out over a year in advance. The Corvette Clubs rotate it by state and each state has years to plan it.

The Mustang roundup in Melbourne gets 400-500 cars (way more than NSW) so there is a venue down there capable to hold the numbers.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 23 October 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#43 _LC_138_

_LC_138_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

Well, All Torana Day here in SA attracts well over 100 cars, this year is only our third one. You can assume a fair few of us would make the trek interstate if it was closer than what it is now. I don't think moving it yearly is a bad idea at all!

#44 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

And it would mean that only Toranas with V8's or V6's fitted could attend .... under the 2 Head rule !!! :clappin:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa Laz
with all the which State we should have it in going on, Tassy seems to me the most Neutral of all the State's and everyone has to Travel then
:driving:

#45 _REDLJ_

_REDLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts and reccomendations.
The HVTC over the years have gained much experience with the running of Toranafest.If our members at our AGM vote to have 2014 in Canberra then we will work with the CTC and give them all the support they need if they indeed wish to take Toranafest 2014 on. There is quite a bit of discussion at our club level to go yet as you all can imagine.
So lets just take 1 step at a time. We should have an answer at the end of November.
Over to our members!!!!
Regards
Pete

#46 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Fantastic idea to travel the show , not saying its a circus but thats what they do to get maximum exposure to every part of australia ... it would certainly take some planning and commitment though ..

#47 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

Phunny Bugga Laz

Will throw my 2 bobs worth in shortly with a few ideas that may or may not help HVTC

Barry

#48 _WhiteKnight_

_WhiteKnight_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

I think its a frOckING stupid idea moving it else where, Toranafest has its foundation in Newcastle & thats where it should stay, as
i stated in the meeting we all had Motto Farm back last year (Presidents/Vice Presidents & Committy members of the respective clubs that were there ) i said in front of you all we could all band together & help out. Whether it maybe funding of some kind or whatever, i personally don't want to see it move to any other location whether its closer or further away. So what happens if its moved Ronald McDonald House in Newcastle suffers because of it, in my eyes that not fair to them, as a lot of you guys know pretty well you also know that i am pretty passionate when it comes to Torana's & Toranafest.
thankyou i have had my whinge for the nite.

cheers Keith ( X President )

#49 _trna76hb_

_trna76hb_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Toranafest= Newcastle

ian

#50 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

i haven't been to toranafest yet but i hope to make it next year. i think it should stay where it is, even though it would be a long travel for some its established in Newcastle.
each state has there own events as stated the VTC maroondah dam cruise in vic is in a way our main event every year with numbers growing strong every year and im sure other states have similar annual meets that are growing and have high attendance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users