#51 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Needs a track day so I can kick Waynes butt.
http://www.wakefieldpark.com.au/maps

#52 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

Hi everyone

I think that Toranafest should stay in Newcastle. It is a bit of a long drive for Victorians but its all part of the "FEST"!
I missed this years event but I have been to the previous 6 and loved them all. I have already started planning for next years event.

You guys have everything sorted, the venue, the climate, etc.

The Canberra guys are a great bunch and I am sure they would do well, but it just wouldnt be Toranafest.

I can only imagine the amount of time you put into this event, smaller scale events take a lot of time. A bi-annual Toranafest could work but not too sure about moving it.

Anyway thats just my thoughts.

#53 _Yella Fella_

_Yella Fella_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Keep it in Newcastle.

#54 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

In 2002/3 we were going to take over T/fest and create a moving festival that a different local club would host somewhere in their state, moving every year........at that time, the HVTC was in a similar situation with time and cost bearing heavily on members, but with less members than today. At that time, the event was either moving, or shutting up shop!!
For a number of reasons (including issues with the Nationals in 2004) HVTC continued to run the event with even more support from here, and Mick McCardle in particular waving his magic wand......

Maybe a 2yearly Newcastle event with alternate years hosted in other locations, possibly in some more rural locations to bolster those economies........The planning would be immense and would need to start 18mths to 2yrs in advance for each location, getting local councils, businesses and other authorities involved.
Recreating the Norwell event up here (but with no stuff ups) would be a great event.....

I still dream of ToranaWest.........just gotta talk a transport mob into donation of transport for the winners to the next years Toranafest......

#55 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

In 2002/3 we were going to take over T/fest and create a moving festival that a different local club would host somewhere in their state, moving every year........at that time, the HVTC was in a similar situation with time and cost bearing heavily on members, but with less members than today. At that time, the event was either moving, or shutting up shop!!
For a number of reasons (including issues with the Nationals in 2004) HVTC continued to run the event with even more support from here, and Mick McCardle in particular waving his magic wand......

Maybe a 2yearly Newcastle event with alternate years hosted in other locations, possibly in some more rural locations to bolster those economies........The planning would be immense and would need to start 18mths to 2yrs in advance for each location, getting local councils, businesses and other authorities involved.
Recreating the Norwell event up here (but with no stuff ups) would be a great event.....

I still dream of ToranaWest.........just gotta talk a transport mob into donation of transport for the winners to the next years Toranafest......

I like the sound of ToranaWest.

#56 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

Leave it in Newcastle! Where else can you have such a beautiful location with beautiful cars. Plus it seems like you have it pretty perfect with the weather gods too. Why change it? Each year there are more and more entrants!

Plus, Canberra is unfair for the oldies, the cold will make their arthritis play up even more!

#57 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

with all the trouble canberra has with summernats why in gods name would you want to hold it there?
besides it's a shithole to boot :stirpot:

#58 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

Like i said earlier.... It would be like hosting bathurst at phillip island.... I understand everyone wantong to get along, but serioisly as it grows, more people travel the distance and make,the "pilgrimage" , leave itmas it is, frOck the whimgers, drive the distance, the travelling is half the fun....yip yip..

#59 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

Something not yet mentioned is the demographic of the locals who would drop in for a look.

Newcastle has always been a bit of an across-the-board petrol head town.

Canberra not so much.

#60 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

You guys are neglecting the OP.

As President I see that Toranafest is putting too much physical, emotional and in some cases financial strain on our members to run each year. We need a breather!

There is a danger that it could flop without the club putting in the same commitment and effort, all it takes is one half-arsed show and the numbers won’t recover the following year.

I think it’s better to have the same passion from another club in a different location and have strong shows each year than a risk of losing it altogether.

s

#61 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

Where else can you have such a beautiful location with beautiful cars

Hamilton island. :)

#62 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Maybe scale it down , back to a few years ago , not the numbers of cars , but the extra activities being offered , I say this purely to ease the work load . Newcastle is a good spot to hold it , and their efforts for the best show every year , is hard to keep up year after year .

#63 _WhiteKnight_

_WhiteKnight_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

i think every NSW Torana Club should put their hands up to help out as this event should
not leave the shores of Newcastle.

cheers Keith

#64 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Here here

#65 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Needs a track day so I can kick Waynes butt.
http://www.wakefieldpark.com.au/maps

Are you in fairy dairy land again hotrod ???

#66 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

For what it is worth, here is my 2-bobs worth

A friend of mine from the ACT mentioned about the changes of venue for Toranafest before it came onto the forums and he is not a forum member.

He agreed with me that it was not a good thing and that Toranafest in Newy should stay just that, and could possibly lose some interest if taken to say Vic, SA or even Perth.

Some ideas to help with the running of Toranafest.

1/ Get a community group like Rotary or Apex to direct the traffic into the Fest and they would then get a donation or they maybe able to help in some other way.
NB : Visiting clubs may also help as proposed by others.

2/ Limit the number of cars to attend, first in, best dressed.
Maybe a bit harsh but I believe there should be a limit drawn some where so that the organisers and venues are not over-whelmed.

Where else can you get an 80 room Toranafest Motel that turns into Toranafest Town, the atmosphere is fantastic, the array of Toranas is mind boggling, the noise of the exhausts is music to my ears, the stories told are like Disneyland's "Frontier Land" where there are tall tales (BS) and true, besides that, I get to meet up with my mate Bubble Boy again :spoton:

If the venue for Toranafest does change then I will probably go to Canberra (ACT), Bathurst (NSW) and VIc but will not go to SA, WA and Q'land.

This is mainly due to my wealth and health.

Even though Canberra is only a 2hr drive for me, the 6 - 7 hr drive to Newy is a part of the Toranafest “experience” and I will keep on making the "pilgrimage" while ever my body holds out.

Regards .... Barry

#67 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

Are you in fairy dairy land again hotrod ???

Simple answer = PfffffTT!!!!!!

#68 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

I think barry has hit the nail on the head here if it aint broke dont fix it i would hate to think how much time effort and money it takes to put on such an event the HVTC do an outstanding job maybe if other nsw torana clubs could help out we could keep this event in newcastle either way i will travel to wherever its held been the last 2 years and had a blast both years one of my favorite weekends all year wouldnt miss it for quids

Ice

#69 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

I think barry has hit the nail on the head here if it aint broke dont fix it i would hate to think how much time effort and money it takes to put on such an event the HVTC do an outstanding job maybe if other nsw torana clubs could help out we could keep this event in newcastle either way i will travel to wherever its held been the last 2 years and had a blast both years one of my favorite weekends all year wouldnt miss it for quids

Ice

I hate to agree with him .... but .... +1. (unless Hamilton Island is on the drawing board) :)

#70 _sprintmaster_

_sprintmaster_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

Please leave it where it is,maybe all the other clubs could chip in also with a financial donation to ease the financial pressure a bit
and share the work load around amongst us in some way or another.

#71 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

I don't agree with limiting the number of cars, the people go their to see variety and torana's not a sausage roll van and 5 places to get coffee.

I know this year there isn't much more room for more cars but i think people would rather have more cars then more shops/rides. If you want to make it more of a fare type event move it somewhere else, if your heart is attatched to Newcastle then find another spot in Newcastle. A sports ground, or there is an airforce museum somewhere we went to the day before toranafest which would fit 1mil torana's and quite a lot of fare type events.

I myself prefer more cars than less. But having only been to t-fest twice and currently not having my lj on the road i don't think i will get a say in the matter.

#72 _WhiteKnight_

_WhiteKnight_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

^^^^ Hayden you are entitled your say as you are 1 of us "Torana Lover" i nbelieve there enough space for another 100 or so cars

cheers Keith

#73 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

a sausage roll van and 5 places to get coffee.

LOL, is that your description of Newcastle?

s

#74 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

I am hoping to get over to Newcastle in 2013 with Bullitljv8 in our cars and with families in tow.
My two cents worth, host the event in Newcastle on uneven years 2013, open the event to be hosted by interested Torana clubs across this beautiful country on even years, 2014, 2016........

Thoughts??

"Cheers"

Alf

#75 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

and that ^^^ would be the best idear yet.

cheers gong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users