Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Name:BURTY
  • Car:UC torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Finally got around to starting a thread on my UC to LX conversion. Thanks to the inspiration of Dirtbag and the like I fired up the angle grinder and started cutting! Attached File  IMG_2593.jpeg   383.43K   37 downloads

This is how the Torrie started.

#2 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Got her up on the ramps and unbolted the taillights, left some big holes!Attached File  Pic_1025_049.jpg   16.26K   30 downloadsAttached File  Pic_1025_050.jpg   16.74K   27 downloads

#3 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Back end of my Donor car. Still havnt got around to cutting the UC at this stage.Attached File  Pic_1004_035.jpg   20.93K   24 downloadsAttached File  Pic_1004_036.jpg   21.16K   23 downloads

#4 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Finally cut the UC. The first cut was a bit nerve racking, but once it was done we got into it.Attached File  Pic_0215_098.jpg   16.42K   38 downloadsAttached File  Pic_0215_104.jpg   15.66K   26 downloadsAttached File  Pic_0215_105.jpg   14.06K   29 downloads

#5 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Passenger side tacked in.Attached File  Pic_0110_072.jpg   15.65K   29 downloadsAttached File  Pic_0110_073.jpg   16.53K   22 downloads

Had to do it. One last look with the LX and UC taillights side by side.Attached File  Pic_0305_112.jpg   30.76K   30 downloads

Attached Files

#6 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

Wow, cool thread. Looking forward to seeing it develop.
It's unbelievable how horrid the UC lights are compared to LH/X.
Keep the pics and progress coming :)

#7 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

the first part of any uc to lx conversion should be to send all the uc parts to Stinga.. can we sticky that somewhere??

seriously though, looks like your all over the tail light swap. look forward to seeing more of it.

was the uc grill any good? still got it? sell it to me??

#8 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Both sides done, well welded in at least. Much work still to do. While the back of the car was accessable we also removed the spare tyre well.Attached File  Pic_0215_097.jpg   16.13K   31 downloadsAttached File  Pic_0311_115.jpg   13.92K   27 downloads

This is all I did on the rear before starting on the front. It was fun moving the car on and off the ramps with no fuel tank!

#9 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

Stinga,
Im sorry but most of the parts went to another forum member (see UC 5000 thread). Still have the bonnet (immaculate) and the bumpers (99%) just a few scratches. Problem is transporting the parts from Darwin $$$$.

#10 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

The method I decided to use on the front end is similar to dirbags bulid, cutting back the gaurds rather than replace the inners and outers from a LX or LH. Bit of mucking around but the gaurds were in such good condition it was worth it.

Finally got the Torrie back on the ramps ready for some more cutting.Attached File  Pic_0322_123.jpg   17.29K   31 downloads

The bonnet from the donor car bolted straight on and helped in deciding where to start cutting. Once again thanks to Dirtbag for this info.

#11 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Once the cutting was done the nose cone was used as a template to cut the sheet metal that would be welded onto the front of the gaurds.
I sound like a broken record but thanks to Dirtbag again! Pretty much all of the work done so far I have taken from his thread building his brothers hatch, credit where it is due.Attached File  Pic_0402_129.jpg   11.3K   27 downloadsAttached File  Pic_0402_130.jpg   12.22K   25 downloads

#12 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Bolted the nosecone onto the front end and spot welded the sheet metal cut outs th the front of the gaurds.Attached File  Pic_0411_134.jpg   15.19K   35 downloads

Notice the wedge missing from the top of the gaurd. The UC gaurds taper at the front more than the LX so they had to be cut back a bit to adjust to the shape

#13 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

After removing the nosecone you can see the sheetmetal tacked onto the front of the gaurds.Attached File  Pic_0411_136.jpg   13.99K   33 downloads

Attached File  Pic_0411_135.jpg   13.85K   19 downloads

Also the headlight mounts from the UC rectangle headlights have been cut off. The lower box section and lower edge of the radiator support panel had a bit of cutting to accomodate the LX nosecone.

That will do for tonight. Will post more updated photos in the next few days.

#14 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Looked like a good Uc before the chop. U goin to fit Lx dash too? I also have a UC hatch and want to do same thing but use all LX panels inc inner gaurds.

#15 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Not going to change the dash, I quite like it. Even though i am changing the front and back to look like a LX I am not trying to fool people that it is an LX, I just didnt like the rear taillights especially. I will be quite happy to own up to the fact that is a UC the dash will give it away anyway!

The car was pretty much immaculate when I aquired it a couple of years ago and it is great to drive.

The way I figure it is that I want it to look the way I want it to look even though it is not and never will be a geniune LX SS, Some people like genuine everything fair enough, others wont like me taking a grinder to a UC becuase that is what they like.

None of the running gear is original. 308, Tremic 5 speed, 9 Inch diff, Twin 2 1/2 inch stainless exhaust, Simmons Wheels etc..........

The colour has even grown on me (opaline blue) with the SS black outs it doesnt look too bad.

#16 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Yeah it would look great if you kept the colour, my uncle had a LX hatch painted same late 90s.

#17 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

Great to finally see some progress shots Burty! I like the 'dirtbag' style conversion on the front.
@ Stinga - sorry mate I beat ya to it... At least the parts aren't going to waste right? :P

#18 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

A couple more shots of the front of the gaurds tacked on and after welding and grinding, the nosecone now bolts onto the front of the gaurd.

Attached Files

#19 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Attached File  Pic_0322_125.jpg   31.97K   26 downloads

With the nosecone bolted on it is starting to look a bit different. The UC gaurds dont curve in as much at the base so they will have to be

bolted in with a sheet metal bracket.

#20 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

Attached File  Pic_0322_124.jpg   34.52K   35 downloads

My young bloke likes how it is starting to look and already got his eye on it. (maybe in 30 years or so!)

This shot shows how the front/ base of the gaurd doesnt curve in as much as the LX/LH.

#21 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Garth,
Bolted any of those UC bits on yet. Havnt noticed an update for a while.

#22 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

This is one of the more recent photos. The two piece front scoop doesnt quite line up with the front flares (cant really tell in these photos)

The front flares will require a bit of cutting and re fibreglassing to match the sides of the scoop, I am considering making the scoop one piece while doing the other fibreglassing.

I do like the way it is starting to look, so far the build hasnt been too bad and at times my neighbour Franky and I sit down to solve problems when they come up. I try to return the favour with his build.

I would recommend when doubts arrise getting another point of view, glad I did sometimes before making that extra cut with the grinder!

Attached Files

#23 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thats pretty much where I am up to at the moment. I did cut the front flares in the last day or two, just need to take a couple of pics before fibreglassing.

Also anyone wanting pics of areas not clear in my photos let me know before the bodywork starts, I dont mind taking more shots as most parts are still accessable at the moment.

#24 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

Garth,
Bolted any of those UC bits on yet. Havnt noticed an update for a while.

Not yet, I just got back from a business trip in the U.S. (well, not all business - I did stop in at Summit Racing to get some bits for the UC). Should have some more progress shots soon...

#25 burty

burty

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Garth,
Like everyone else, I get motivated and get stuck into it for a while and then get sidetracked for a few months. The work above was done in 3 stints over the last 6 months, doesnt sem like lots of work when you look at 10 to 20 photos but it took hours.
Anyway Im back into it again now and aiming to finish the metal work ready for the body work and sound deaden the interior and get it back together before christmas aswell as install a drop tank. Sounds a bit ambitious but we will see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users