Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LC GTR

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi all,

Been using this forum for years now as a reference point for my build so thought it was about time I shared my project.

My first car back in the early 90's when Torana's were a dime a dozen and the average price was $2k for a decent one was a late 73 LJ S two door. Was originally blue (wedgewood), with a black interior, 173, 3 on the tree. When I brought it was repainted glacier white with LJ GTR blackouts, but no flutes, XU1 front rotors and calipers, mild 161 and a M20, and Sprintmasters dated 1975.

Was a great first car, and spent many hours on it, replacing rusty floors, changing carbs, extractors and 2 1/4 exhaust, etc. Had no money in those days so all was done on a mega tight budget. Broke a few axles and centers doing the things that 18 year olds do! Eventually went all nostalgic and the original route painted the blackouts white with pressure packs (remember no money) and put back the Torana S badging. Fitted 5.5" steelies on the front and 7" x 13s on the back, with Torana hubcaps and trim rings. Will post some pics when I scan them in.

Only recently tore down the 161 which had oversized valves, 60 over block and a lumpy cam. The head is now on my new 202. Before I tore that motor down I started it up after sitting for a good 10 years in my LC shell. Fired up as soon as the fuel hit the carby, and sang a beautiful tune straight out of the extractors. You can't keep a good red 6 down!

Have a listen, you might have to save the clip locally to view it.
http://i1189.photobu...ne/463c13dc.mp4

This was all happening in the early to mid 90's, when parts were still plentiful, and those in Victoria will fondly remember the wreckers called Pick a Part when a new Torana would arrive every week or two for raiding. That place was a gold mine, scored heaps of stuff there some of the most memorable were a GTR dash, overriders, under dash parcel tray, original push button radios, original speakers, nasco mud flaps, engine splash guards, door handle scratch plates etc. I was a bit of a genuine accessory fan back then too. Only if I had realised that Torana's would disappear from wrecking yards, would have brought five of everything.

Unfortunately that car was written off five or six years later by a 65 year old who ran a stop sign and had her license for two weeks! Ended up buying a VK 5.0 after that for towing duties. Anyway kept the LJ and pulled all the bits off it that were salvageable. The shell had a bit of rust by then and with the front end crumpled it went to Sims metals. Kept pretty much everything else. Glad I did, as you all know its getting much harder and expensive these days to restore a Torana.

Now I have a LC GTR awaiting a full rebuild. Have had it sitting the garage (like many of us having to finish house reno's first). Brought it 10 years ago off a mate as a bare shell in highfill. Came mini tubbed with a shortened 9", 8" Cragar pro stars and Mcreary G60's. Also had the front end complete, GTR sway bar, head light surrounds, a couple of GTR badges but that's about it.

Unfortunately the original engine and box is long gone. Luckily has all the tags which Bazza checked and all the numbers line up to indicate its a genuine 02/71 GTR. No engine number was listed on the VIN broadcast sheet so no chance of tracking down the original block anyway.

This car has been in storage for a good 20 years and the previous owner was planning to build it for the strip as a turbo red 6. Body was in amazing condition for its age. It was all panel beaten ready for paint. Virtually no rust at all just a little bit of surface rust under the roof, so I and my panel beater are very lucky.

When I first got the car I was keen on the tubs and the 9" and was planning on dropping in a 308 and four speed. I was also considering converting it to an LJ. Thankfully I didn't butcher it back then. The desire these days for original cars and the rarity of hearing a screaming red made me stick with a 6. 10 years ago still heard plenty of nice inline 6's getting around but not so these days. Also the new Vic Roads regs VSB14 did not help where the largest Holden V8 now allowed is a 253. Also wish now it had a standard floor pan, but would cost me more to put a standard floor in than it probably cost to get the tubs done all those years ago. In addition to the tubs the chassis and floor are under the back seat has been stepped up for more clearance. It also means that it sits incredibly low with standard height springs at the back, so will have to put in slightly higher springs for a standard ride height. See photos below with standard height springs.

Note the photo the notch in the rear of the wheel arch is being removed by the panel beater and the original radius returned. Pics were also taken when she was used as long term storage!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Currently the car is sitting in a panel shop hopefully will be painted by the end of this year. It's originally Indy Orange, as much as I like to look at Indy Orange its just not the color for me. When I think of an LC GTR I think of orange. If it was an original car with original drive train all matching numbers I would have stuck with Indy Orange, but considering its far from original I will pick a color I like. I can already hear everyone cringe but its never going to be sold, and can always be re painted, and will be kept in the family and handed down to my son. I'm going with Phantom Grey MK1. Always liked grey Torana's, most in the 80's and 90's were resprayed in gunmetal but wanted to stick with a period correct GMH color. I think Phantom Grey MK1 was released a few months after my LC was build. I like Phantom Grey MK1 on a GTR because looks understated with the GTR stripe and blackouts, rather than hey everyone look at me I'm orange. I think most will hear me coming before seeing me coming. Forum member GTR-1's LC GTR was my inspiration for the color choice, to me that car looks amazing.

In regards to the engine, always dreamt about getting a Tate built 6 since I was a young lad, reading all about Brock's 72 win as a youngster. Sat down with Mr Tate and had a chin wag about putting together a 6. Was considering sticking with a 161 or 186, being period correct and I have one of each at home. Tate was a bit concerned about the lack of availability of good 186 pistons, and recommended a blue or black 202 short motor, with my 161 head. Found a good standard bore block in a VH at pick a part, that's now been taken out to 30". It's your typical Tate special with all of his tricks set to put out about 230 or 240HP.

Was debating over the intake being XU1 Strommies, SU's or Webbers. The cost these days to get a good set of strommies is a bit out of hand, then u have to rebuild the things. Grabbed one of the 1 3/4 strommies on the early Volvo's as a cheaper alternative but Tate didn't like them. The sheer cost of Webbers, and setting them up is a bit out of hand, and Tate did not recommend them for a street engine. So we ended up deciding on the SU's.

It's going to wear a set of early 1 3/4 SU's which have been rebuilt by Wilson Carburetors on a Lynx M091 manifold. John at Wilson's is one of Ian's mates. The manifold has also been opened up and the dividers removed. Was considering a new set of SU's from Midels but Tate does not like the current Redline manifold, and I don't like the look of the bowls on the new SU's. Again wanted it to look period correct. After buying a second hand set and getting them rebuilt they came up a treat, and don't look too new :). Ended up being a couple hundred cheaper than buying new anyway.

Pic below was test fitting on a dummy block before rebuilding.

Posted Image

Pic below is post carby rebuild. Elected not to have the pots cleaned up and polished to look more period.

Posted Image

Also got a blue electronic dizzy rebuilt with mechanical advance, and an ASR street series sump. I had Genie mandrel bent extractors which I brought back in the 90's for my original Torry which have been blasted and Jethot coated. Trying to use as much as I can from the old girl to keep the legacy alive.

Posted Image

I have a HX improved cam, which is a Clive Cam's special. Clive described it amongst other things as has having a lumpier idle which us young folk love so much! For those that don't know Clive is another contact in Ian's circle of mates and a great bloke too. Get him talking about all the XU1 cams he ground for Wade, and his memories back in the day.

Posted Image

Clive also machines an extra groove in the lifters for improved lubrication, and cleans up the face.

Posted Image

I will be running a 4 speed, and will probably stick with the Aussie. Got a couple of M20's lying around so will have to get one rebuilt, with a M21 gear set.

Bit torn with the rest of the drive line. Thinking to run LX rotors and calipers up front, which is what I put on my old Torry, and the bits are sitting in the shed. Was a good update at the time over the XU1 brakes. Down this route will throw my banjo out the back running 13" steelies all round. Seems to be a waste of those tubs though, especially considering they will be eating into a little bit of back seat space but will look more original. Also broke a few banjos with a mild 161 so will be marginal.

Posted Image

My other plan is to stick with the shortened 9" which has HQ drums and stud pattern, use dropped Stubtech spindles up front with P76 rotors, HQ calipers and stud pattern. Was planning to run 14 x 5 or 6" HQ stock steelies (not GTS) on the front and 14 x 8" HQ widened steelies on the back with 235's, all painted black with no caps or trims. This option will however make the M21 the REAL weak link.

Bit torn which way I will go. Thinking with the 13s might get away with less hassle at Vic roads, however if the pits team pickup the modified rear shock points, and LX front brakes will need an engineers cert for both of those. Thinking might as well go the whole hog but again 9" is overkill and will probably rob a bit of performance and balance. Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

See pic below hmmm which way to go?

Posted Image

Always loved the look of the LC's or HK Monaro's running around Bathurst, or the old 60's American factory muscle cars on the strip with standard black steelies, just looks tough and old school. While modern large diameter wheels look good, and each to their own, it's just not me or the look I'm after.

My aim is for the car to look like it was built in the 70's or 80's, using as many period correct parts available at the time. The only modern concessions are the Jethot silver coating on the extractors which will hopefully fade with some use (should have done it black!). A VH electronic dizzy and blue block, if you call 1983 modern that is.

Well I could not bare to see 3.3 on the side of my block so I ground it off before Tate sent it away to Crankshaft Rebuilders. Going to make a cast of the 161 engine block badge and mould one to stick on the side of my block. That was Tate's idea when I said I was thinking of building a 161. Makes sense, don't have the original block and the dollars its costing would be criminal to sacrifice 41 cubes for the sake of a badge!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will update this thread and post more pic as the build progresses. Sorry if the pics appear a little large for some of you. Any ideas or advice is always appreciated.

#2 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Great write-up Steve, I'll be following this one.
Keep up the updates.
Cheers
Marty

#3 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Stevo,

can you post a photo of the dividers that are removed from your manifold, I have the same manifold and wondered if these could be removed, he must of " re welded up the hole "that's left when they are removed ?

cheers grant.

#4 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Marty sure will do have heaps of updates to add floating around in my head and plenty of pics. Will try to do weekly updates.

Hi Grant yeah I was lucky brought them second hand and the dividers were already removed. Tate was also happy they had been removed. When we discussed the carbs and manifold before I purchased them he also suggested removing the dividers on the Lynx manifold. Looks like the top of the divider is solid cast, and the bottom leaves a small hole when cut out due to that indent underneath. They welded mine up and did a reasonable job. Even if it was rough it would never be seen under there. Will post some pics soon for you.

Cheers.

#5 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

Hi Grant. See pics below. The finish underneath is a little rough but gives you an idea where it's welded. The finish inside is much better. They seemed to have left a slight hump. Have not been match ported to my head yet so I'm sure Ian will clean them up a bit better.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Update #02

Had to buy a KC tall rocker cover to clear the rollers. Trying to keep the shiny bits to a minimum and opted for the raw unpolished finish.

When they say raw they mean raw. It was pretty rough with lots of inconsistent bubbles little casting dags and lines. There were even ridges between some of the fins, and it had a funny shine to it. When I picture raw cast aluminum I think of a Charger E49 rocker cover, smooth but a nice flat finish. Love the look of those but this was nothing like it.

Set about sanding it back both by hand and with a dremel down the ridges.

Posted Image

In the end spent bloody hours sanding it down.

Thought of painting it rocket red and leaving the tops of the fins exposed alloy. Did a bit of reading and found others had used VHT Cast Aluminum SP995 for a raw cast like finish on various components. Gave it a crack and came out ok. Still a touch shiny but I'm happy for now. Will see how it looks when it's on the freshly painted block, might change my mind again.

Posted Image

My eventual plan when I have more time is to slice up two Holden rocker covers. Cut the mount plate off one, and cut the mount plate off the other but leave 10 to 15mm of the wall to raise the height of the standard cover. Weld them together to achieve the roller rocker clearance and the original look. I know u can buy the spacers from aussiespeed but where is the fun in that, and it doesn't look as original.

#7 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Update #03

ASR did a nice job of modifying my old LJ sump to their Street series standard. Brings it up to 5.5 liters capacity.

The paint job was a touch average with paint flaking off on one side but that doesn't matter. A Torana sump has to be painted Rocket Red so it will be stripped back anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Update #04

Had to pickup a clutch for Crankys to finish the engine balancing with the flywheel and clutch attached.

Flywheel is a standard Holden cast flywheel from my old LJ which is crack tested lightened and doweled to locate it.

How much it cost to machine would have been about the same as buying a new YT flywheel! Should have asked how much beforehand. Oh well at least it's another genuine GMH bit on the car.

Tate put me onto Derry at BGT in Dandenong. Derry modifies the factory RPM pressure plate and puts in extra side straps to stop the clutch from moving about or falling apart under load.

Posted Image

Exedy clutch plate supplied.

Posted Image

#9 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

thanks steve.

can see now.

#10 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Update #05

Pretty slow going at the panel shop in the past 12 months :( but some progress. The shell was sand blasted in a past life so the shop is rubbing it all back by hand rather than blasting again and risk warping panels.

The roof, rear panel, boot and rear quarters have all been rubbed back and any little nicks and dings cleaned up.

Posted Image

The wheel arches have been returned to their original radius and the notch to clear the McCrearys is gone. It was just ugly and wrong looking.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Top of the drivers door was the only rust found so far so I was extremely fortunate with this shell.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Below are a few pics of my first Torana which I learnt to drive in. Was sadly written off about 15 years ago. Kept most of the bits and will be using as much as possible from the old girl on my LC.

Brought her back in 1990 and she needed new floors and a few bits and pieces to get her roadworthy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A few years on got sick of the sprintmasters and blackouts so went all white and the rusty doors replaced with a good set from an LC.

Threw on 13x7's on the back with 225's, and 13x4.5's with 185's on the front with hubbies and trim rings. Also put on the overriders and nasco front mudflaps and put all the original Torana S badging back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sunday cruise down the mountain.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Update #06

Finally made a decision to get the car up and running with 13's for the least painful and cheapest path to registration.

Will look at doing the 9", HQ brakes and 14's at a later date as phase II of the project.

Have a pair of 13" x 5.5" rims for the front and a pair of 13 x 7's for the rear from my old LJ. They have 225 60 Eagers on them with decent tread however they would be a good 18 years old so probably not worth risking it with such old tyres.

Done a bit of research and called around no manufacturers make a 225 13" tyre any more which is a real shame. Will have to run a 205's on the back.

Even then the 205's are limited. The Falken ZE912 looks decent seen them on a few Toranas but the reviews are mixed on this tyre.

Also like to look of the Federal 595. This is the only road based high performance tyres I could find in 13". The rest are either track only or road touring based.

http://federaltyres....performance/595

While they are generally considered to be a budget tyre they seem to have a number of good reviews especially from the enthusiast and drift communities. They are available in a 185 and 205, so will run the 185's on the front.

Found the below pic of the 205 60 13's, on a rim look pretty good.

Posted Image

Here are my 13 x 7"s with good old Eager 225's. Will strip them and paint them black.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

Update #07

Pulled apart the old GTR front end.

Was blasted years ago by the original owner but not sealed so plenty of surface rust. Hit it will the wire wheel on the grinder only took an hour to get it quite clean. Will have to get some smaller wire wheels to get into the tight spots and then give it another once over.

Noticed I have a crack on each side of the support arms that bolt to the chassis. The cracks are at the point where they bolt up to the crossmember. Will have to get them properly welded up before painting the lot with KBS rust seal.

Nice and grotty after years of my neglect :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cracked on both sides at the same spot. Not sure if its from wear and tear or someone trying to take these arms off as they are bolted and spot welded.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Nice work mate. I'll be watching this thread with interest. Good read.

#15 _toranatime_

_toranatime_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

That crossmember crack is very common on all lc and lj torana's. I have just V'd them out and welded them up on mine, but will probably work out some sort of re-inforcement in that area to stop it happening again.

cheers

#16 _Blackxu1_

_Blackxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I like what your doing bud looks sweet put the sprint masters back on it

#17 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Cheers Jordan and Nathan appreciate the kind words.

My old Globe Sprintmasters are safely tucked away. Sold a couple of things over the years but will always hang onto them. 74 or 75 casting from memory. Will throw them on when I get sick of the steelies.

Thanks Kieran you have put my mind at ease didn't realize its a common issue. Didn't happen on my LJ or my mates so thought it was a one off. Called a couple of chassis shops to repair it but everyone is booked out well into next year. Don't think they are interested in the little jobs.

Was contemplating fixing it myself but doubted myself it being structural. Was thinking the same thing, V it a bit weld it up then plate the top of it and weld. I have a mig and am impatient. Just want it fixed so I can paint it and put it all back together. Will give it a go myself, my welding skills are ok been doing a bit more general welding over the last year. Looking at the original GMH welds they are not that perfect anyway.

#18 _Blackxu1_

_Blackxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

I like the steelys aswell I'd like to get a set for mine with brand new caps and dress trims and a sweet set of red walls cheers man can't wait to see it finished mate. Good to see you stuck with the six banger

#19 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Update #08

Time to paint the engine. Ended up going for KBS Motorcoater in rocket red and created a post here with more info http://www.gmh-toran...ed/#entry717379

Went from bare blasted cast iron.

Posted Image

Posted Image

To beautiful gleaming orange. Appears very glossy when wet as per the photos, however some of the gloss has subsided and appears to be more of a semi gloss on the cast iron bits since it has dried. Will post some dried pics when it's all together. Sump will be painted rocket red too just needs a scuff back first so will do that later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 _Richie_Sebring_

_Richie_Sebring_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

very nicely documented stevo...cool story, good reading and your a few steps ahead of me which is real handy so thanks for taking the time to share the details, i just found those same front end fractures on my cross member supports...haven't started on the block yet but have restored my steelies and they will be staying, can only hope i end up with a block half as good as yours is shaping up to be. keeping an eye cheers

#21 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words Rick really appreciate it mate. Haven't done much with Christmas getting in the way!

Ah okay yeah going to tackle those cracks myself have a few ideas how to fix it so will post pics and info when it's done.

Yeah steelies rock!

#22 _Richie_Sebring_

_Richie_Sebring_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

yes please do mate, i found these the other day at http://www.rodshop.c...olden/lc-lj.htm

Posted Image

pretty pricey joint..so yeah very interested to see what you do

#23 ljv8

ljv8

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Ah yeah was looking at their kit when considering a v8 transplant. Thanks for that completely forgot about those strengthening brackets. Was planning to weld the crack and plate across the top. I think it will be worth making up some of those too so it's completely reinforced.

Thanks mate.

#24 _Linesy_

_Linesy_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Great read Stevo, Things are looking real good! Top Job, I'll follow with interest.
When I see those sixes it makes me wonder why I'm putting my 308 back in.........

#25 _toranatime_

_toranatime_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

I think those brackets would be quite good, i might make up a set aswell haha.
The car is looking great, can't wait to see some more progress mate.

Cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stevo, LC GTR, Phantom Grey, Tate, GTR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users