Help me find Austin's LJ GTR

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hey there guys,

A couple of years ago my great uncle Austin passed away and his beloved LJ GTR Torana was sold by my great aunty to a couple in Barooga, Victoria. I attempted to purchase it off her for market price but she didn't want to be responsible for selling me such a powerful car (she wouldn't accept that my LX had much more power with it's injected v8).

I eventually tracked down the couple in Barooga to find they had sold Austin's car to a bloke from Western Australia some time in the last year. He flew over to Victoria and drove it across the Nullarbor to WA.

My family and i would love to have his car back in our possession for both sentimental reasons.... and because it's a tough car! I don't have many details except for photos (Austin had built a 202 and installed that himself so it is not the original engine) however everything else on it is original so i believe.

The couple in Barooga sent me through a bunch of photos i will attempt to post on here.

If anyone has any details regarding the whereabouts or any information about the car that would be most appreciated.

I would also like to know what kind of green it is?? I am still waiting to hear back from the previous owners regarding the VIN number.

Cheers,
Rhys

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _Macka_

_Macka_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

If I am not mistaken this is the mock up LC to LJ GTR that appeared in the LJ Torana brochure. So whist l am not of its monetary value l think its nostalgic value is quite high. That is assuming I have the right car.

There is a thread about it on the forum that I am sure someone will point us to.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

If I am not mistaken this is the mock up LC to LJ GTR that appeared in the LJ Torana brochure. So whist l am not of its monetary value l think its nostalgic value is quite high. That is assuming I have the right car.

There is a thread about it on the forum that I am sure someone will point us to.

Yes there is a thread on the forum about that GTR. Probably in the swap meet ebay threads.
It isn't an LC converted to LJ. It is the first Adelaide LJ GTR made in late 1971 and was also the promo car used in the Feb 72 sales brochure as well as in magazine ads and posters, both as a GTR and touched up to look like an XU1.

#4 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hi all

If it is the same car (and it certainly looks like it with the LC bits under the bonnet), it was sold in Kyabram Vic in May '72. I have all the tag details recorded.

The colour is Lime Green Metallic with black and white houndstooth inserts.

A forum member was asking about it with a view to purchasing - he was from WA.

Cheers

Bazza

#5 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Holy shit,

Yes that is his car, was the first one to roll off the line in Adelaide and he bought it brand new in Kyabram (where he lived for over 60 years).

Any help finding the thread would be great. Thanks for all the info already guys!!

Cheers,
Rhys

#6 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Is this the one?

G'day guys & gals,

I'm new to this forum.....seems like there is a wealth of knowledge here....well done.

I'm currently looking at buying an LJ GTR which is not currently registered, but was last registered in Victoria and is supposedly a 2 owner. I'm in WA, so it's a bit scarey to buy something from distance without verification.

I have been sent photos of the ID tags which are as follows:

Body ID

LJ 82911

Body No 1 - A

Trim 1832 - 40 Y

Paint 567-13127

Compliance Plate

11/71

ALJ 00012A

Skinny Tag

82911J

L188747

The car has apparently been verified by the Vic Torana Club (to the current owners) as being genuine, but I am a little nervous as the compliance plate is attached to the vehicle by 2 gutter bolts!

I haven't asked the seller (yet) to provide me with the actual body number stamped on the inner guard or the engine number. The photo does show that the motor is a 3300.

Look forward to a reply via the forum or PM.

Cheers
Daggsey

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

http://www.gmh-toran...age__hl__lj gtr