Speedmaster TDS diff, good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Easy question for those in the know.

Are Speed Master Traction Drive System diffs good?

I clicked on their website and i think it might be linked to procomp, which im pretty sure are crap. Plus a mate told me to stay away from Sydney Speed Supplies.

Im looking at a 9 inch.

Whats your opinion?

If they are crap i'll go to Diff Technics, they are about $700 dearer.

#2 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

The paperwork from Speed Master gives me a few choices i can make, they are-

A- 3rd member centre- Thru bolt alloy 3.250 or standard

B- Pinion support- daytona, super daytona, oversize, extended.

C- yoke- 1310 or 1350

D- mini spool- 28 or 31 spline

E- full spool- 28 or 31 spline

F- Torque worm- 28, 31 or 35 spline

G- gear set- 3.25, 3.5, 3.7, 3.89 or 4.11.

and in small writing it says all gear sets are 8620.

I was told the thru bolt alloy3.250 was really good, and get the super daytona pinion support, 1310 yoke, and 3.89 ratio. But i dont know the whole torque worm stuff. I just wanted a Tru Trac.

#3 _pinklx_

_pinklx_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

speed master used to be milodon aust, then become procomp, its sydney speed generic brand of the 90's, was all crap.

#4 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

ok i thought so. I thought i read somewhere that 3rd member was a good brand, but maybe not.

#5 _carmro_

_carmro_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

definatly procomp / sydney speed supplies & numerus ebay sellers, stay right away its all junk its all copied and its not made of what they say it is , i bought one of there torque worm lsd it looks like its was made in a shed with a grinder all internal gears have grinder marks , its just sitting on the shelf and will never be used, also the hex allen key bolts that hold it all together are not hardened they striped the centre out when i had it check out by a diif shop (Driveline Industries, Carrum Downs VIC 03 9785 1433), total junk and waist of my money, i will never buy anything cheap again, same old story you only get what you pay for.

#6 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Thanks Carmro. I rang the fella earlier today and asked him the brands used, and he told me he makes them himself. That sent alarm bells for me straight away. I didn't want to pay $4,500 for a diff that was a no name diff. And now reading your comment, that confirmed it for me.
So far I'm looking at Diff Technics now, but will call a few other places like Qpaac in the morning.

#7 _pinklx_

_pinklx_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

guys if u want cheap and u want quality n fast freight, www.summitraceing.com do ur self a favour sign up and just keep each order under $1000 just bought a genuine eton trutrac for around $450, got it in a week. sss is all rubish. we all know it, dont let name changes fool u.

#8 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yeh the bloke that was organising my diff gave me a few details and didnt mention SSS, but when i googled SpeedMaster a link came up to procomp and SSS. So wasnt sure if SpeedMaster were a good brand they were selling through a few places or what. The number i was givin wasnt SSS, it went straight to the diff builder which is contracted by SSS. But as soon as he mentioned no name parts that he built i didnt wanna go there.
Im on the blower now to a few diff builders and should have someone organised to do it by this arvo.

#9 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Also it's cheaper to buy the whole centre assembled (not paying tax on each bit or assembly), make sure if you go through Summit or similar that you use econo freight or you will loose the savings.

#10 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Im just going to go either Sydney Competition Warehouse or Diff Technics. Just waiting for tiotal quote from SCW now. I saw in the Diff builders thread on here a pic of 1 that someone got built and it looked good.

#11 _pinklx_

_pinklx_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

altra 9 in brizzy are also very good.

#12 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

Yeh I was thinking bout them, but it's a 7-7.5hr drive from here, whereas Sydney is 5-5.5hrs. If I was living up there already I would go to altra 9.

#13 _carmro_

_carmro_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Glad to hear shan620 that we helped another person to not get ripped off by these copy cat company's that are quick to take our money but when there's a problem your history, ive been caught a few times now by them and it will never happen again, it's all inferior made junk made to look like the good name product, and I don't care what anyone says, Sydney speed supplies, procomp electronics, speed marster, and all the other names they trade under, not to mention all there eBay name's they trade under, at racing world, Sydney speed supplies, muscle car hq, don't have and never will have a good name, ask any one that know's of them in the car world and you will be amazed to find how many bad reports you will get, it's happening so much more today with so many items being made by cheaper labour countries we really need to research before we just hand the cash over, this is just one company, sorry to go on and on but the mor people that are aware to this the better our cars are, as for you diff why don't you get it freighted its cheaper than driving that way you can use any one Australia wide.

#14 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

I'd prefer to drop the car to the diff builder, that way I know everything is spot on and all brackets etc are right.

#15 _pinklx_

_pinklx_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

bro they are all made in a jig out of the car anyway so haveing it there is erelivent. freight for a houseing and axles from altra9 to grafton cost me 84$ and was overnight from when sent. quality is awesome.

#16 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

I'll call altra9 in morning aswell.
I need mine shortened aswell by a fair bit, and they need to know where to weld coilover mounts etc.

#17 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

just called Altra9, he's going to do up a official quote but from the prices he's given me over the phone its up to $9750 so far. Thats diff, brakes and rear coilover setup.

#18 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

Dropping car off to Diff Technics early Wednesday to get diff made.

#19 _carmro_

_carmro_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Good choice Shannon, at least you won't be ripped by con at diff Technics, ask him about his thoughts on the company were all talking about and post back.

#20 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Yeh he's a good bloke to deal with, he calls me every 2 or 3 days with reports on the progress that's been done. I pick the car up off him around 15-16th January, so I'll ask him about speed master. Lol

#21 _carmro_

_carmro_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

sounds like you found a good shop to deal with, post some pics of work being done if you can be good to see, we need to try and rub these bad business' that copy products ect out of our hobby, all they do is take our money with lies.

#22 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

Yeh I'll put pics up wen I pick car up on 16th January. Unless he sends me some photos before hand.

#23 _shan620_

_shan620_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Very happy with Diff Technics work and he kept me informed of progress during the build.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users