Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

This bit is very similar to the 300ZX

P4230004.jpg

Ha Ha - Snap!

Edited by Toranamat69, 29 October 2013 - 02:15 AM.

#52 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

I had thought long and hard about the bracing concerns when i bought the kit as well.

I have spoke to an engineer regarding the same thing.I will be using a chassis strengthening kit with extra support arms from the rear of crossmember to the strenghtened chassis rails as well.These will be fitted after the custom extractors are made to suit.

Waddingtons- yes, you did freight the crossmember back to Vic 3 times and i recieved the engineered product back three times and i am still left with a product that doesnt fit. Therefore i have to take it on at my expense to get it engineered after it is modified to fit an engine that 95% of torana owners would fit into their own cars(308 with torana engine mounts with a torana style sump).Extractors werent a conrcern as they are being custom made to suit.All of the questions were asked in your showroom,in victoria,with photos that i showed the salesman of the engine,car and explained what i wanted.

Now to go and cut the engine mounts off and put them back on so i can get a bolt through the holes.

#53 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Damien,Im a bit lost for words. We helped you so much with the modification of an already engineered product.

We paid for freight back and forward to you in SA three times... You didn't want to modify your sump to suit (which would of been the easiest and cheapest for all concerned as it was a very small modification).

We have since rectified the problems with the jigs and have sold multiple Torana ifs front end with great feedback. As you can appreciate we cant try every set of headers or sumps on the market to suit as this would send us broke. We have since made a conversion style sump to suit this application. Many thanks,

Castlemaine rod shop.

The first time you sent him an LJ front. Do you really expect the customer to pay the freight when you send the wrong product?

DSC_0108_zps7e9cb2dd.jpg

after numerous emails, measurements and phone calls, it was pulled back out and sent back to Victoria. Turns out it was built in the LC/J jig and that was why it didn't fit. CRS paid for the freight and that was cool.

The second time you paid for freight because a 308 with a Torana sump does not fit even though the customer told you that was the combo they intended to fit and it is probably one of the most common engine combinations used in a Torana. Again why should the customer pay the freight for your mistakes.

Then when the customer receives the "fixed" IFS. The customer not only finds the motor still doesn't fit but also that the engine mounts are crooked.

DSC_0164_zpsaa8baff1.jpg

Then the final insult is to blame the customer for your incompetence.

We have since rectified the problems with the jigs and have sold multiple Torana ifs front end with great feedback. As you can appreciate we cant try every set of headers or sumps on the market to suit as this would send us broke. We have since made a conversion style sump to suit this application. Many thanks,
Castlemaine rod shop.

You admit that you have rectified the problems with the jigs and made a conversion sump to suit the IFS yet are at a loss for words when a customer complains about your incompetence. If you are still at a loss for words then maybe you could try thanking Damo for helping you with your R&D.

If you can't be bothered doing the R&D to see what engine combinations fit with the IFS then be honest and tell the customer that haven't tried that combination.

What engine, sump and steering rack configurations are your satisfied Torana customers using?

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 29 October 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#54 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

^^^^

LS2LXHatch I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately this is typical of the attitude with a vast majority of Australian businesses. It's all the customers problem ..... he brought it so its now his problem "Not Ours" (we just take money and that's our only liability).

How many people have we read about that have been left with heartache and thousands out of pocket with companies like Mr Spares (UPC/Tony Edwards) who state it fits X and when it doesn't they say its now your problem, we have sold plenty and your the only one who has issues. Pathetic when one look on the internet forums tells you that is total BS.

Its not like Damo has a quad cam V8 toyota and supra gearbox or an LT5. Its nuts how these guys even get business. They don't obviously do real R&D and test these so called bolt-on performance parts because if they did they would fit.

The real scary part is that if they can't even make them to bolt-up  fit - what the hell does that say about the actual engineering and design of the item?

Sorry to pollute your thread Damo but it shits me to tears that these people are selling stuff they obviously shouldn't be.  I have seen time and time again over 30yrs+ of hotrodding but the actual reality is that the majority have no clue about engineering, quality control and do zero real R&D.

Edited by LXSS350, 29 October 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#55 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hooley Dooley!

I could think of 5 sumps off the top of my head that are pretty well used in the normal build, most of which are near identical, again there are at least 5 exhaust manufacturers that I can think of that do off the shelf pipes to run in the Torana.

You can't tell me that buying one of each product even sourcing "seconds" from the manufactures for r&d are going to send the company broke? For what the value of steel and parts are worth for ONE front end would just about pay for these items alone...

I cringe to see what sort of quality assurance goes into some of these "bolt in" items because it's pretty obvious that Damien's front end wasn't trial fitted to any Torana front cut, or even have an engine block sat on the mounts, or perhaps it did with waddingtons made mounts....

I'm glad I've seen this because the IFS Front end I had the money ready to purchase will now be better spend elsewhere.

Goodluck Damo,

#56 chickenman

chickenman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Car:75 LH

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

Very disappointing!!! frustrating!!!!

Being a Damos watching this front end going in has been a palm to forehead and followed by alot of head shaking. (followed by a few brews going down). It has been very clear that simple R&D has not been followed and actually fitting the setup to a run of the mill torana could not have been done. It had then been returned on a number of occasions and still not even fitting in the simple places like mounts and sumps clearance is very disappointing!

I feel Damo's frustration as he has forked out good money and left now with something that he has to modify himself. The amount of his man hours he has now put into modfying a so called bolt in product is rediculous. I would feel sorry for a person that does not have the fabrication skill's Damo has to rectify the problems.

I just hope the actual coilover suspension is a improvement and the front geometry is sound otherwise it lis alot of his time and money it the toilet! Unfortunately this wont be found out until its all together?????????????

I have also been the victim to apparent bolt in parts. Return to maunfacture and told that "mine" must be different. WTF??? Its a stock torana! Ended up in major cuting into K frames etc. Its very frustrating!!!!

Big picture Damo!!!!

#57 _Romper_

_Romper_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

LXDamo Sorry to go off topic, but your Willwood front brakes, do they have dust boot's or no ??

Also what was the damage on the brake setup and does it bolt directly to Torana stub's ??

Cheers

#58 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

LXDamo Sorry to go off topic, but your Willwood front brakes, do they have dust boot's or no ??

Also what was the damage on the brake setup and does it bolt directly to Torana stub's ??

Cheers

brakes should bolt up if not just modify the sump......

#59 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:27 AM

brakes should bolt up if not just modify the sump......

LOL

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

Q: My brakes don't fit my torrie?

A: Silly boy it's because your running a sump that we have not engineered!

Q: What do I do now?

A: Not our problem now that we have your money in "our account"  - Good Luck. .... LOL

#60 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

^^^ LOL

Might have to be a general disclaimer on all goods i buy now.

Windscreen wiper blades? will i have to modify my sump to make them fit?  no.. i won't say that!!

Romper- yep the dynalite calipers have dust boots, but they wont bolt up to your torana stubs.Not sure how long mine will be staying on there,but they'll do for now as they fit 15" rims over them.

Cheers Chickman, always good to have someone to bounce idea's off of and to always have a four pack in their hand everytime they walk through the door helps no end.

So the engine mounts are back on now.about to head back to the shed after a bite to eat and see if it all fits in again.... hmmm

#61 _Slippo_

_Slippo_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

This bit is very similar to the 300ZX

P4230004.jpg

Ha Ha - Snap!

What did you use to brace it with

#62 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Good sense of humour about it Damo! That's funny. Indicators don't work..... what...... bloody sump.   

^^^ LOL

Might have to be a general disclaimer on all goods i buy now.

Windscreen wiper blades? will i have to modify my sump to make them fit?  no.. i won't say that!!

#63 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

They look like VT commodore braces. Smart idea!

#64 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

What did you use to brace it with

Not my car, I just found the pics on this site and like the idea,  and yes they are VT.

http://www.aussiev8....rollover-5.html

Pretty interesting thread but it makes me wonder why you would bother fixing that car, I would have reshelled with the yellow UC personally.

#65 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Dear Castlemaine Rod Shop/Waddingtons

Since you are reading, how about some photos of the IFS' you have sold that have been fitted to Toranas?

If you could include which sumps/mounts are used it would be very helpful for us all

I would like an IFS for my LX however I do not want to throw away the money I have already spent on the sump or mounts

#66 TK383

TK383

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Blue one

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

That's Jason's Hatch - he has a long history with that car, including many hillclimb race & championship wins.

He also runs ME Dale crash, so had the facilities to fix it.

It was never going to be reshelled unless it was beyond repair - it wasn't & now it's better than new.

#67 tefa

tefa

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Name:Teflon
  • Car:LX 4 Door SL

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

WOW! What a drama...What was supposed to be the advantages in the IFS system apart from header clearance? What geometries ect for handling did they propose etc?

Seems like a massive drama for tubular front-end?

#68 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Tefa,

Apart from the header clearance, i narrow the track up an inch each side as well to fit my tyres and rims in easily.

It wasnt supposed to be this hard.....

But, i will be continuing on.

A small update though.

During my time at home i thought i would like to have this bloody thing back in the car and to a point where the car could at least be moved around on its own wheels.

I started where i left off last time, boxing up the front of the crossmember.

DSC_0332_zps1110adcd.jpg

Internally braced it a bit and then boxed up the front, plug welding though the front and then fully welding the outside

DSC_0335_zps999cf0f5.jpg

boxed in the ends as well and it will be strong enough now.

DSC_0338_zpsa4594a4e.jpg

Had to put a scallop in for the steering rack clearance.

DSC_0340_zpsdc178e1f.jpg

I refitted the engine mounts so they are at the same angle as my original K frame.Spent nearly a whole morning taking measurements from both crossmembers before i was happy to cut the bloody things off!!

so with that all done, after a few days and a few beers, i re-assembled it and fitted it back into the car. So it is rolling again which is a start. Modified one of the front support arms to get better thread depth. This is how much i had to put in

DSC_0355_zps239341e9.jpg

So thats where i got to before heading off again.

The other front support arm will be made up while i'm at home next time hopefully.It needs a 3" bend in it to clear the alternator and will have the ends of the original arm welded into it. Happened to find a nice peice of 1/2" thick walled boiler tube at the old man's for that. Cheers Dad!!

so its ready for the engine to be dropped back in and bolted up to the gearbox. Hopefully ready to go and get the pipes made...albeit 3 months later than it should have been.

Just a quick word on other people's projects here.

I read pretty much everyone's build threads here and thanks to all of you for the inspiration to keep going building this bloody car.

I may not post in your threads,but i do get alot of ideas and that always is a good thing for motivation, probably not the wallet though!!

Cheers,

Damo

#69 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

I read pretty much everyone's build threads here and thanks to all of you for the inspiration to keep going building this bloody car.
I may not post in your threads,but i do get alot of ideas and that always is a good thing for motivation, probably not the wallet though!!

Well said, and back at you too

#70 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Christmas time ill be round with "Uncle Jack" and we can stand back and have a good laugh about it.

But we all have shit to deal with that's how the dice rolls with modified cars, how many times have you been there to help me out!

Just can't wait to see a motor back in it

9yrs......

#71 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Is there no way you can move the alternator to keep the front support arms straight?

A lot of their strength comes from the force being applied directly along the centreline of the rod.

Do you have any pics of the top mount for your rear coil overs?  I like how they don't protrude into the inside of the car.

#72 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

Ha Ha, ignore the last line ^ .  I meant that for SmartE's thread - looking at 2 at once

#73 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

All good.Thought coil overs? inside the car?  thats not until its on the road and i play with the rear suspension!!

Ha Ha, ignore the last line ^ .  I meant that for SmartE's thread - looking at 2 at once

And Marc, There will already Uncle Jack and his hangover cure at my place christmas time. Sometimes i'm not sure whether to laugh,throw my hands in the air or kick the s&*t out of it. But it will be good to catch up for sure.I'll see if i can get the chickenman to head out as well.( I think i can lure him with Jacks)

#74 chickenman

chickenman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Car:75 LH

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

Jacks!!!! did someone say Jacks.

#75 _NewsuxLX_

_NewsuxLX_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

wooooooooweeeeeeeee!!!!! whata drama!!!! Well damo your alot more patient then me, I would have thrown that excuse for a k frame through their shop window!!!! and then demanded my money back! and to think they got on here and whinged about you! what a joke, after reading this thread i can see why LXSS350 is so passionate about these type of things in the other suspension and steering threads, Good on you for persisting with it.Shes a great looking rocket mate.

Cheers jake 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users