Electric window wiring

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

G'Day all

I have read a few posts about installing electric windows but havent seen anything about how to wire them.
Does anyone have an electric drawing on how to wire them?

Also has anyone used these blue wire motorsport ones and what are your thoughts?
http://bluewiremotor...70689016711

Thanks

Edited by the gts, 02 January 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

I'd expect it to be similar to factory, the main switch bank and the individual switches on each door all receive a power feed and an earth, and each motor has two wires from the switches (the individual ones tee into the wiring from the main bank). The motors are not earthed, and the direction is reversed by the mechanical operation of the switches which changes the polarity of the two wires depending on direction. This means two wires to the doors without switches, and three (plus earth) to those with switches. All the wiring needs to be quite heavy gauge to support the current draw, even if you previously had power windows its probably worth replacing the lot to get a good feed as it can make a big difference.

That kit says it comes with instructions but I can probably scan the factory diagram if you want.

#3 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Pretty simple to do, this is basically how I did mine.. (I used billet switches with a small light inside them)

Attached Files

#4 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Not too sure 76LX, did Torana ever have an electric window option???
No matter the kit looks like all is there for an easy installation. Wiring diagrams and so on. And yes use heavy duty wiring if you need to add any more than the kit supplies.
Be careful fitting the wires through the door openings, best is to drill and grommet the holes in the door and door jam and feed them through a flexible conduit that way.
I was thinking of fitting the same to my hatch when I get it back from the panel shop ( and also the power door locks ).
http://bluewiremotor...r-window-kit-2d
http://bluewiremotor...ystem-universal
http://bluewiremotor...-1-boot-trigger
If you are keen to start a thread to show any tips and problems that may ( or may not ) come across would be helpful to other forum readers/owners.

Any other guys fitted these systems, would be good to hear feedback of the quality of the kits.

Edited by mika03au, 02 January 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Also has anyone used these blue wire motorsport ones and what are your thoughts?
http://bluewiremotor...70689016711

I am not sure but I think this kit just replaces the window winder handle with an electric motor using the existing window mechanism. The loop at the end of the motor comes with adaptors to suit the window winder spline. You remove the handle and the motor will turn the shaft instead. Not the same as a proper electric window setup.

Similar to this one on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com....=item3f18da7209

Posted Image

A few people have replaced the front window regulators with VN-VS electric window regulators and the rears with VY or VP-VT

Torviki Front Windows
http://www.gmh-toran...-power-windows/

Torviki Rear Windows
http://www.gmh-toran...-power-windows/

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 02 January 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#6 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

I used VN/S regulators in mine (did it a few years back) and the billet switches from Electric-life, http://electric-life...exd.asp?id=1111

WIred up similar to above schematic I posted..they work excellent.

#7 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Appreciate you highlighting the installation LS2LX.
Am sure most people doing an electric window installation would be doing it to do away with the window winder. Leaving a box or cover where the spline is defeats that purpose.
The Torviki link is great...thanks.

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Not too sure 76LX, did Torana ever have an electric window option???

Don't think so, I was thinking HQ-WB and forgot to mention that... :blink:

#9 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

when i had the VP ute i fitted power windows and used vz switches in it,i fitted 2 change over relays to it simple to do and it means that you wont fry up switches.the best part is that you can use small switches PM me if you want some diagrams
Phillip

#10 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I was thinking of using VS switches in the console if I didnt get the Blue Wire Motorsports kits, the relay would be a great idea, the switches probably dont like 10 - 15 amps through them!
PM sent.

#11 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Any switch that is designed for full current will be fine with it, but some of the factory ones are a bit fragile physically if not used with care

#12 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Another good addition to power windows, in my opinion, is to use a Power Window Module from a VN Calais.

It allows time delay on the power windows, so when you've removed your keys from the ignition you still have power to your windows for about a minute (saves having to place keys back into the ignition to power up the windows once you realise you've left them down! :P)

Also provides auto down for the drivers window which is a handy feature too.

#13 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Thanks guys.
I definately want the commodore style motors and thought the blue wire stuff may actually be the commodore parts but in a kit, fair enough it might be a bit more expensive but i just dont have the time to chase parts up.

My car is at the stage where I am just completing an electrical drawing in microsoft excel so am pretty keen on info as to how the electrical side ties in with the rest of the car.
My plans are to make a carbon fibre console that will be modified to fit the 2002 style switches in it as I like the switches in my monaro.
Antelope what does the power window module look like, does it just have a time delay relay or 2 in it? I am hoping to find a time delay relay to turn off water pump a thermo fans after the ignition is turned off, Hella has an adjustable one but it is over $100 and special order. I may just use a turbo timer or possibly make my own timer.

Edited by the gts, 02 January 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#14 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

VN switch gear is basically the same wiring as HQ, you just have the addition of the module (which is a little black box like an oversized relay, I think its actually labelled from memory).

VN wiring diagram:
Posted Image

#15 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

My plans are to make a carbon fibre console

Be cool to see how it comes out !

I mounted my switches in the factory console... (center switch is power door locks)

Attached Files

#16 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Antelope what does the power window module look like, does it just have a time delay relay or 2 in it?

They look like this:

Posted Image

It would have some sort of time delay relay, or similar, for the windows but probably not easily adjustable. I couldn't see why you could not use it to control power to your thermo fan and water pump after the ignition is turned off but as I've said, not easily adjustable, and if you wanted to keep the thermo/pump on for a longer period of time then you would need to adjust it some how.

#17 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Good idea to use the VN window control module,but does it need the body control to make it work ??

#18 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

VNs don't have a BCM (so no)

#19 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Ok after 3 attempts at drawing this here it is,thought i would post it here so others can see it too.
How it works is in the rest position both sides of the winder motor are connected to earth,when you operate the switch in the down direction the down relay supplies positive to the motor on the LHS and down it goes,when you operate the switch in the up direction the up relay closes,supplying positive to the oposite side of the motor and up it goes.
The relays must be change over relays,the above will operate 1 window,when i done the VP ute i mounted the relays under the dash and used VZ from memory door switches (mainly because of price) and they mount in the console
Phillip

Attached Files

#20 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Does the vn window controller also sense full up and full down of the windows and shut them off so they dont keep running if finger is still on the switch? Or is that something done in the electric winders themselves?

#21 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

I think it does, it controls the auto down of the drivers window on a single press (which stops automatically) so that would make sense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users