SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:50 PM

Thanks racean69 - it's good to be back into it.

I get it Lenny, but it keeps you busy I guess? And that's worth lots. "Don't let the old man in", as Clint Eastwood says. 😬

Just spoke to the painter - no worries on fitting the engine/subframe combo at his shop, he has the stuff we need and it's his preferred way. T5 off for a rebuild tomorrow. I planned to do it myself, but just need it done now.

The flare kit is being spray puttied after being rubbed back, as we speak. I still can't quite believe it's happening, 2000 and bloody 8 I started this, back when we thought $1800 for a rolling Torana shell was expensive... 😳

#177 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:44 PM

It's just the flare kit, but finally getting colour on the thing is a big deal. Lots more to go, but considering I thought it was never going to happen, I am stoked. 

Attached File  IMG_5429.jpg   93.89K   6 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5438.jpg   144.19K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5459.jpg   73.89K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5471.jpg   70.93K   5 downloads

#178 _Johnnie27_

_Johnnie27_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:09 PM

omg this colour is stunning 

#179 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:26 PM

Possibly the best colour ever!

#180 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:28 PM

Well, I figured if I am going to put all this effort in, I want people to see it a million miles away. ✅ 😂 Thanks fellas. Just have to get the rest done.

#181 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 September 2020 - 09:12 AM

Well, I figured if I am going to put all this effort in, I want people to see it a million miles away. ✅ Thanks fellas. Just have to get the rest done.

Ha Ha, Sam nobody misses you in a Torana mate. Every time I take one of my toranas out everyone wants to stop and talk about muscle cars, take photos or give you the thumbs up as you drive by. 

#182 jeffblanco

jeffblanco

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Name:Mando
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:15 PM

Well, I figured if I am going to put all this effort in, I want people to see it a million miles away. ✅ Thanks fellas. Just have to get the rest done.

Yeah, but not from the moon.

Regards Mando.

#183 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:23 PM

True dat Lenny. it's been over 20 years since I drove one, so have forgotten... And back then they weren't so rare.

Just standard Barbados Green Mando, but in 2pack so brighter than the acrylic version. And I like to delight our moon dwelling friends, too. :-)

Rear quarters and roof being blocked now. 

#184 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 02:24 PM

Hey all, I need some opinions here, because frustration levels have hit the roof.

Since getting the flares painted, nothing has happened to the car to my knowledge. I say that, because I can't get hold of the painter. He does have some health issues I aware of, and am happy to work with on that. However the initial timeline for this car to be painted and back in my shed has well and truly gone, and I have got bugger all communication from him since the flares. I don't want to shitcan anyone as I don't know what is happening the other side, however this frOcking car has been a long process already and here I am, closer than ever, and it is just as far away. I am at snapping point. The options I see are below, please let me know if you have an opinion on the next move, or a better idea or the number of a Sydney-based painter (NOT a one-man show) that does what they say they will do:

• Sit back and just wait, it will come good soon enough.
  • Go around with a car trailer and pick the car up, pissing up the wall the deposit (around $5k remaining), find another painter and start again, again. I have gone past numerous times already, though, and he ain't there...
  • Go to fair trading and put in a complaint (all expectations were emailed and agreed on before the job started, in writing, including finish date. Four months should be enough...)
  • Ring the cops.
  • Any other ideas? 

I would rather the original painter just did what was promised and deliver, his painting skills are excellent. His communication and people skills not so much. I can tolerate the latter in the name of art, but this is getting beyond a joke and I am worried about my deposit money and car itself. Thoughts please! And recommendations for a new painter, because I think what will cement my decision.

#185 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:13 PM

It it were me personally - I would persevere with the existing painter. Avoid formal complaints and cops and try to keep them on your side. But don't just sit back and do nothing - see them face to face and say you want to come up with a realistic plan and rebooted timeline. A few months delay in the painting world is probably not that bad (some people lose cars for years on end). Just make a bit of noise (the squeaky wheel gets the oil?).

#186 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:34 PM

I'm hearing you Sam, every time I do a restro I have to get in and do more and more of the panel work myself. I always seem to get F**ked around with panel & paint. Its always been the worst part of the restro for me. The panel shop tells me 3-6 months and they are never on time, always charge me double what they originally quoted and hour long stories of why it cost so much and took so long. I worked in the panel & paint industry for a while and know how they work. When I restored the Panno I did all the panel work myself, cut out all the rust, repaired any dents, set all the gaps, hi -filled, blocked, rubbed it, refitted all the panels. I only sent it to the local panel shop to get the colour on because I don't have a booth. My shed is ok for Hi-fill but to much dust floating around for top coats. The panel shop charged me $14,000 just to supply 6lts of colour and 6lts of clear PPG paint. I was quoted $6-7k cash. There was no discussion during the job of any increases or extras. It took them six months for two days work. I had a bit of a dummy spit and they knocked it down to $10,000 At the end of the day all they did was a clean it down with Prepsol, lay down the base coat and blackouts then clear over base. At best its a two day job for one person - $1,500- $1,800 in materials. 8K profit for two days work. Wish I could earn money that easy. To rub salt into the wounds my son is a tradesman panel beater at this shop for the past four years. So much for mates rates.

If you take you car to a tradesman to do it at his home afterhours the job takes forever, they loose interest quickly after you give them the first or second progress payment. Take it to a good panel shop and they try and make up for every cent they might have missed out on an insurance job. Take it to a cheaper panel shop and after twelve months you start to notice sink back marks and paint defects arising. 

Sorry Sam but I cant recommend any panel shops because I haven't found one that I have been happy with yet. Its so frustrating when your getting close and its time for colour. Take a breather and one step back, do some homework, suss the current situation out until you have a better understanding with what's going on. Find this bloke and start bugging him till he makes a decision or refunds your money. I have had better results just bugging these types of guys to make a decision over the alternative of using base ball bats.   

#187 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:40 PM

I've never met a painter that didn't have health issues!

Definitely agree with both comments above, as soon as you start complaining to third-parties (especially the authorities) it will turn into a huge shit-fight and you'll eventually be lucky just to get your car back!

The other side of the coin is... if you start bugging the guy too much he's likely to cut corners just to get the car out the door, and you don't end up getting what you paid for anyway.

The best thing you can do is turn up with a case of cold ones (assuming you can find him) and politely ask where he's up to and how long it's going to be. Maybe even invent some BS story about somebody getting married in a few months or some big car show/event/trip coming up and would the car be ready etc.?

If he says it's too much for him due to health or whatever then ask if he'd mind you getting someone else to finish it (due to the BS timeline  :<_<: )?

If all else fails, getting the car out of there should be your top priority, you can argue about money till the cows come home.

But I would at least try the friendly friendly approach first.

#188 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:37 AM

Thanks fellas, I know I am not alone on this, too many paint fumes I reckon...

I have tried much of the above, including making a video for him for free when he did the flares (I am a video producer) to help him promote his business (he isn't a backyard guy), however that hasn't worked either. I am a patient man, but don't tolerate being dicked around very well. I have a mate that knows him trying to follow it up, but I am fresh out of options. It's very frustrating. Anyway, I am sure it will work out and I will continue being the bigger man. And learning more about bodywork as you say Len. I am about to pick up a very clean VK project, it needs much less bodywork than the Torana did, so will just get better at blocking, and maybe paint it myself with a paintbrush. it has to be better than this crap. 

Thanks!

#189 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:04 PM

Bodywork & spray painting isn't all that technical, you just have to make sure all the materials you use are compatible with each other and the rest is just learning and practicing your technique.

But you do need a LOT of time and patience and be willing to do things over and over until you get it looking how you want. There's plenty of advice to be had here, even about very specific things, but if you're prepared to do some trial 'n error you'll soon figure out what works and what doesn't.

Old-school acrylics are very forgiving, you can lay 'em down and rub 'em off again easily, remove imperfections and add more coats to your hearts content, you just have to be a little more careful with what bases you spray them over. Whereas enamels and 2-pacs are more of a one-shot deal, you will get a better result easier with 2-pac but you kinda need to get it right the first time.

#190 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:25 PM

I think what Andrew is saying is you may be better off doing it yourself, maybe in acrylic, which is good for the novice at home, and what they were originally done in anyway. I’ve just been down this path myself and very happy with the outcome. What got me across the line was encouragement and support from friends and forums and good advice from old school painters. Even my postie used to be a panel beater and gave me tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#191 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:47 PM

Two days for a full respray. Hmmmm.

#192 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:07 PM

Thanks all - I have made contact again, at least, and have decided to just suck it up for now. He is bloody good wth a spray gun, it will be worth it I guess. I don't have a choice, really. Shame, it should really be the most satisfying part of the build, but anyway.

To tide me over, I have purchased another project, a VK V8 Berlina sedan, so will play with that until the Torana is ready. I learned a lot on the Torrie, so will hopefully need even less bodywork done by others on the VK. 

#193 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 07:02 PM

Hi all - so long story short, the car is now with its third painter, this time a reputable mob with a proper schedule, a pay as they go set up, a firm deadline and only 1km from my house so I can be a major pain in the butt if things aren't moving. Pretty sure I have got it right this time. Fingers crossed.

#194 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 06:17 PM

The old legend has already done more in two weeks than the other bloke ever did. Pays to find a good one. Front panels all in primer, doing roof and quarters now. 

Attached Files

#195 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 07 September 2021 - 09:05 PM

Good to know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#196 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 11:12 AM

Getting there, getting there...

Attached File  IMG_7670.jpeg   140.81K   5 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3748.jpeg   285.57K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3747.jpeg   270.32K   4 downloads

#197 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 11:15 AM

Just note in that last pic, the panels are only hanging there, not gapped, etc. Everything  lines up, promise. :-) The paint is just setting now, then final rub rub back. I should have it next month. Pretty stoked so far, and the best bit is the painter hasn't found any colossal stuff-ups from my prep, just needing the professional touch alround, thanks god. 

#198 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2021 - 12:55 PM

Barbados! Looking nice mate, you must be stoked.

#199 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2021 - 02:01 PM

Ooh, I like to dig the hue

#200 Heath

Heath