fitted a 253 to lj torana

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 _T0rana_

_T0rana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

hey everyone thinking about putting a 253 in my lj so it will be street legal still in QLD

what do i need for the conversion?

is there much work involved ie is it alot diferent to fitting a v8 to lj then a uc as ive done that conversion before ?

whats needed to be done how do u move the steering ect ?

i know ill need a v8 sump, engine mounts, radiator, whats the best to use ect

#2 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

V8 to UC is a walk in the park. V8 to LC\LJ is a bit more involved as a lot of components need to be fabricated. Fortunately CRS (now Waddingtons) do the kits but like almost any kit be prepared for a bit of fine tuning to get stuff to fit.

Evitsim on here has done a 308 conversion and there are a couple of V8 LC\J's in the club.

Why a 253 though? I am pretty sure 308's can still be done legally or am I missing something with the transition of the code of practice?

#3 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

253 is the biggest V8 to be registered in an LC/LJ.

#4 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hi T0rana,
A Mate from my Apprenticeship at BHP had a 253 with a Tunnel Ram and 2 x 390 4 Barrel Holleys pushing a 3.08 LSD.
That would drift sideways up the street. Dave I

#5 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

you will need a sump,raidator,engine mounts, now im sure Waddingtons sell the steering conversion for the v8 lj, but if they dont get two steel steering nuckles from a lh-lx torana, not sure if your state need the chassis kit to get approved, some states do, u will need a engineering report and you need to take the small lip off your passenger side trailing arm, so your starter motor can fit in ok, you can buy extractors to fit a 253 red motor for lj torana, see how u go.
AL

#6 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Hmmm, seems it all comes down to the weight that will be accepted by QLD Trans or an engineer. LJ's appear to come in under 1100kg however in another post on here Dr Terry has advised the LC GTR is just over the 1100kg. With the right engineer and the right QLD Trans staff member on the right day you might be able to do it. Others have.

Why though? Your car sounds awesome as is, it pulls a wicked skid, runs a respectable quarter and the all the hard work is already done. A 253 might give similar performance but the only difference is it will sound like a V8 and will have cost you a few grand for the conversion.

You could also drop a turbo RB25 in it :)

#7 _gmlj6_

_gmlj6_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

couldnt you just use a 253 block and cram the good bits in it? or do they not fit.

#8 _T0rana_

_T0rana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Why the v8 since its not going to be street driven often I want to build it into a burn out monster

#9 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Fair enough, but you dont need an eight to do a good burnout though. Everyone else has V8's, be different :-)

Although, a 253 will rev hard, sound good and be cheap to replace when you blow it up. Im starting to see your sense now :D

#10 _T0rana_

_T0rana_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

i just want a tuff fun car for events i have a nice daily 6 i want a car i can flog all day on the skid pan or the track

#11 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Oh thats easy then Sarsha. Give me your LJ and you can have my UC :D

#12 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Sarsha

Buy a 308 and a working 253. Get the car engineered and rego'd with the 253 installed. Once that is done remove the 253, Grind, file and sand smooth the 308 number off the side of the 308 block, rebuild the 308 and machine it's engine number off and replace it with the 253 engine number, then destroy the engine number on the 253.

And don't ever tell anyone I suggested you do such a dodgy thing, It'll be just our little secret. Mums the word right. OK.

Cheers
Dave

#13 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

You could always stroke the 253 to 310 cubes and it will be all legal

#14 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

You could always stroke the 253 to 310 cubes and it will be all legal

Gene

How many times do you need to stroke it and does it help to sing while you stroke it???
I suppose you could also bore it. Read some of Julia's election speeches to it, should do the trick. :tease:

#15 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

Now dave a little birdy told me that your the best stroker in the business but your singing is like listening to a howling wolf

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Now dave a little birdy told me that your the best stroker in the business but your singing is like listening to a howling wolf

Yeah, only seems to happen whenever there's a full moon. Strange that! Oh well such is life.

#17 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...non-efi-motors/

Been involved in a few, it's not as hard as it sounds.
Most mportant bit is getting headers to suit. There is one off the shelf brand that fits well, but I can't remember which and you can even get away without moving the column.

Grant..

#18 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

My car is set up for a V8 so my suggestion would be to move the steering column over slightly (CRS kit) and add an extra knuckle. V8 engine mounts (hk or hq depending on bonnet clearance), and extractors to suit. Also you will need a hi torque starter motor (smaller), or cut a lip out as suggested.

I think that is about it, I'm sure if an wrong someone will kindly correct me. It's not overly hard considering there is not fabrication, just a little fiddling to get it right.

#19 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Oh and booster might need to be moved depending on your rocker covers .

#20 _gtir14_

_gtir14_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Hi
I am currently fitting a holden V8 to my LJ, gee it would have been handy to see some of these posts before i started and i would not have had to do so much ringing around and trialing of different bits but thats life. The question i'm about to ask is not exactly related to the conversion.

My engine had a quad webber manifold on it but i am wanting to put a standard 4 barrel quadrajet carby and manifold on the engine for more everyday driving. I am wanting the manifold to be pre pollution so as i don't have to fit all the pollution gear for engineering and i think that the heads on the car are old pre pollution heads but i am not sure so i will post some pics to see if someone can tell me what they are. Also what does a a pre polution manifold look like, i will also try and post a couple of pics of what i think is one. The manifold in the pics i believe would suit this head, can someone confirm this.

Any assistane with the above questions would be great.

I can't at the pics, could someone let me know how i would do this.

Thanks
Joel

#21 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Stop double posting.

#22 _gtir14_

_gtir14_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Sorry about that, i realised after i posted that i should have made my own post and not tacted onto someone else.

#23 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Don't pay too much attention to the bullies. Start your own thread and you will probably have a ether chance of getting the information you need.

Cheers

#24 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Since when can a 308 not be legally done into an LJ? NCOP has NOT been introduced into QLD as of yet. Im about to get my engineer to sign off on a 307 into my LJ and he says that is still currently legal. Ive got a RWC licence and we have not been informed of a change to NCOP or even given a date as yet.

#25 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

^ NCOP has been introduced into QLD man. Happened November last year. Transition period is recognising both codes of practice up until 31 April when NCOP will be the sole code of practice for QLD. 308's are still legally being put into LJ's now to beat the 31 April cut off.

Have a look here for the changes etc QLD Transport

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users