Issues With UC SL/T Hatch And Vicroads

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:53 AM

hey guys,

well i spoke to vicroads today to try and find out any info on my hatch to point it towards a sl/t and well i found quite the opposite, according to them and there "database" the car doesn't exist, none of the numbers i have at all come up. so now i have to go through this BS process, which sucks. Spoke to GMH and the original dealer that sold the car and they cannot help me, spoke to the SA authorities who the car was first registered with and no luck either.

i'll post up all the numbers i have from the GMH certificate from 1978, all appropiate numbers are the same on the plates as well.

VIN : J616837
Chassis No : auc012688m
Body Serial No : m616837
Eng No : HL78668

i do also know date of acquisition, who the original owner was, the original rego, and the dealer it was sold by.

any help would be most grateful

#2 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:05 AM

Vicroads needs to go to teh archives. We upgraded their system approx 4 years ago and the older records go shelfed as paper records. They will need to search there. Keep trying. At least you have the original rego.

Cheers

#3 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:07 AM

well according to them the original rego is now on a 2003 model car. lol.

#4 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:08 AM

other things i know about the car, i believe i'm the 4th owner, previous owner had it for 2 years, before that a guy owned it for about 16-18 years of which 15 of them the car spent in storage.

#5 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:32 AM

When I registered my vn grp a I had they said it didn't exist on their database,since I couldn't be bothered arguing I told them to just put it down as a calais from which the car was based from.My car hadn't been registered since early 93 & they had no record of it untill I tried to register it in o1.

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 08:13 AM

That's not a complete VIN. It's about 12 digits/characters long. Once you have that ring up Holden and tell them you want a Letter of Authenticity, they'll plug you through to the right area.

Being a dealer fitted option, I don't think the VIN is going to confirm the difference between a UC and a UC SL/T. You might need a stat dec from one of the previous owners claiming it to be a SL/T, and a copy of the Ellery's book or AMC Magazine that shows that they indeed existed. Unfortunately on these things, onus is on the owner to prove what it is.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 17 June 2006 - 08:16 AM.

#7 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

You probably have this info' but why not print them out and put them
in a folder to provide some back up next time you see them. Might be
worth actually speaking face to face, rather than phone, try to turn it
around so they do the looking out of interest, rather than fobbing you off.

http://www.helmetcam...atmydust/uc.htm

http://www.canberrat...story/ucslt.htm

Also, Max Ellery put out a repair manual for all Toranas, which included
the SL/T, so it has acknowledgement as a model, factory sanctioned,
but engineered off premise.

His book is for sale here - http://www.pitstop.n...olden/2209.html

At least you have some hard evidence it existed.

Also try Sutton's here in Sydney. Would not know where to start?
Maybe try asking for the oldest person there!!! LOL Someone who
looks after their workshops might have a contact you could follow up.

Good luck with it all!

- Leakey

#8 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

In the spotlight book for the LH and Lx theres a 2 pages reprint of the Modern Motor article from Oct 78. It has a lot of info about the cars mods, however it relates to the Suttons Motors Sydney car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

James

#9 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

well problem is they won't let me register the car at the moment, i have to go through some investigation group then find out if it can be registered.

also i spoke to holden and they told me they can't do the letter, it applies for lj, lh and lx, not uc.

i'm not really worried about if they point it as a uc sl/t i just want to be able to register the car.

vin is : 8h77lhj616837c

#10 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:47 PM

Posted Image

#11 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

nice photo chop........... lol would be good if they cam out with them badges...

#12 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:39 AM

i had a similar issue with my hq, i found that the number on the plate didnt come up and it was different to the one on the chassis ? so i just went by the one on the chassis and didnt have anymore probs... took of the plate and no more issues...

ummm other than that i am not sure... Maybe do as oldn said and get them to look through the paper work on the shelves...

#13 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:51 AM

Get it identified and a letter of confirmation from the Vic Torana Club as well? It's going to be up to you to proove that it existed. The guys with the Vintage and Veteran cars get it all the time, have to prove to the dudes what the cars are, and on occaision, even some of the mechanical systems as being original (i.e. the braking system on the early Rolls Royces).

Where there is the will, there is a way.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 19 June 2006 - 07:53 AM.

#14 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:12 PM

Just looking at that spec sheet. It says they came out with 13s on the front and 14s on the rear, with bigger brakes on the rear than front. Now thats strange :tease:

#15 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:32 PM

re the tyres ^, looking at the photo, it looks that way.....I think also that they may have not put larger wheels on the front because they would foul the rear of the guards when turning with car in reverse. I know this happens on UC's and probably most torries with larger wheels,, but its not rw if it does, and would not have been desirable for a car to leave the dealer with a tyre clearance issue.
It would only be logical that a bigger brake could be fitted at the rear if there is a bigger wheel there? .......yes, i think we are aware that its extra capacity over the front one would be largely unused in potential hard stops, but could be of advantage in long downhill brakings where the heat build up in the rears would be reduced (due to their larger size)and therefore less overall brake fade. ( a rather long bow to justify why), possibly more for aesthetic reasons of having the whole of the wheel filled by the brake.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 19 June 2006 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users