202 Steel Billet Camshaft - Anyone apart from Tighe

202 steel billet camshaft

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 _Ned Loh_

_Ned Loh_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

clive cams - got a roller cam off him in billet steel.

- just realised how old this thread was

sure, but who made the blank?

Out of curiosity what size cam journal did you go for?

#27 _Bluejinx202_

_Bluejinx202_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:15 PM

After getting a steel billet roller cam, what are the drawbacks besides the cost?

#28 _Ned Loh_

_Ned Loh_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

After getting a steel billet roller cam, what are the drawbacks besides the cost?

maintenance/replacement. possibility of needle rollers through the motor but solid roller technology seems to have come a long way over the 5 or so years.  Suggest you discuss lifter replacement interval with your cam grinder based on your use/application.

not really for a street car, a fairly serious race motor type thing.  Your new build sounds like it fits that bill.

#29 _STRAIGHTLINEMICK_

_STRAIGHTLINEMICK_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

Also the bronze cam gears wear too quickly for a street driven vehicle. I reckon a hydraulic roller on a cast iron cam could be the way to go . There are some good profiles around that are netter than a solid flat tappet and they dont require high spring pressures .

Edited by STRAIGHTLINEMICK, 22 July 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#30 _Bluejinx202_

_Bluejinx202_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

Is excessive can bearing wear an issue? an annual freshen up is not really something that excites me...

#31 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

Out of curiosity what size cam journal did you go for?

standard holden - don't think there was anything special there.

#32 _Ned Loh_

_Ned Loh_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

Is excessive can bearing wear an issue? an annual freshen up is not really something that excites me...

seriously doubt it unless there is something else is fundamentally wrong. Discuss with your cam man.

I can't see you needing an annual refresh.  Everyone has a different take on this but most mildly serious racers and up would refresh every couple of years which is probably around 100 hrs at WOT, give or take.  If you are more serious maybe annually, others wouldn't crack a gasket unless there was  a problem and get many many years out of it.  a little attention to the lifters isn't a big job and would be done with the engine in situ. Did you get lifters with the cam? Which ones?

& yes mick about the cam gear, but should have got that with the cam.  I wouldn't put a hydraulic or cast core into a semi serious or more race motor.  

standard holden - don't think there was anything special there.

i've never done it but some do go larger diameter for some small benefits.  I was curious if you had gone larger what lobe profile you are running.  I doubt it's worth the time money but when you are after MAX output and can afford it then stuff like that happens.

#33 _Bluejinx202_

_Bluejinx202_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

Is anyone using a Mech roller with helical gears? I’ve got straight cuts now and they drive me nuts.

#34 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:04 PM

I've always run helical's, just make sure the crank gear is steel and not the cheaper iron gear.

#35 _Bluejinx202_

_Bluejinx202_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:25 PM

I've always run helical's, just make sure the crank gear is steel and not the cheaper iron gear.

Alloy cam gear?

#36 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

Pretty sure in a kit is:

Alum cam gear - iron crank gear
Steel cam gear - steel crank gear

Edited by greens nice, 05 January 2018 - 08:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users