Photo

202 inlet/exhaust gaskets- perfect solution?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

alright, we all know that the ACL composite gaskets are crappy, they split while being installed move around and generally leak like a bastard when you least expect it.

I've used some old red in colour paper type gaskets (the old asbestos ones) and they work 100X better, seal up and are actually neatly reusable (helps when they dont exist anymore!)

So what gaskets are everyone else using?

Would it be worth looking into something like a thick copper gasket (having them cut) or is there another material that would be best??

#2 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hi orangeLJ,
Here is a Copper Head and Manifold on Ebay, also you may need sealant:-

http://www.ebay.com....=item3cce91e5fd

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-6-186-202-XU1-Copper-Head-Gasket-RED-9-Port-Head-TURBO-DRAG-NOS-/261162394657?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cce7de421

#3 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

for that price.... I'll get my own made.

#4 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Use a copper gasket Ive been using them for years and the best thing is that you can reuse them. Also I use a bit of three bond on both sides of the copper gasket.

#5 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

what thickness copper are they? might have to do some investigating with my laser guys to see if they can do them

#6 _stretchlc_

_stretchlc_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Any chance of having a few made up??...If a bulk order was placed, maybe they might work out cheaper for others that might be interested too??...................A big ask, but I thought I'd throw it out there none the less.

#7 _coupe202_

_coupe202_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

The thinkness i use is 2mm I cannt remember what i paid when i had them made out but i made three gaskets at the time.

#8 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Linish your headers to ensure flatness and use a metal composite extractor gasket with Ultra Copper Sealant on the exhaust ports.
It wont leak.

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

We have this uber awesome shit at work, its about 3mm thick, near on impossible to cut and we use it in high temp/pressure situations.

If/when the acL one on the LJ now fails i'll have a go at using that stuff. I used it on the ski boat exhaust flanges and it worked well.

#10 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hi All, water jet cutting is best because it is cut cold, I have done a lot of machining for Jetcut here in canning vale it is $300 per hour, after design, would take one minute per gasket ( $6 each ). Annealing is bringing the copper to an orange colour by heat and quench in water. Dave I

#11 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

We have this uber awesome shit at work, its about 3mm thick, near on impossible to cut and we use it in high temp/pressure situations.

If/when the acL one on the LJ now fails i'll have a go at using that stuff. I used it on the ski boat exhaust flanges and it worked well.

your set bomber, you have to start it before it can leak!!

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Yeah mate, it will never leak.

#13 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

I'm using a graphite gasket at the moment that I got from American Autos, but it has no divider in the exhaust, just 1 large hole, but that was all I could get in a hurry then I one of these just haven't fitted it yet.
http://www.ebay.com....56&cmd=ViewItem

#14 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

those last ones look like the closest thing to the old asbestos types I've seen.

Wonder is some for of phenolic spacer material (like used on carbies etc) would stand up to the heat?

#15 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

they are good. i bought some from reg from muscle car motor trimming.......

#16 greens nice

greens nice

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:EH Holden

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'm using a graphite gasket at the moment that I got from American Autos, but it has no divider in the exhaust, just 1 large hole, but that was all I could get in a hurry then I one of these just haven't fitted it yet.
http://www.ebay.com....56&cmd=ViewItem

i have had better results with those blue ones, just make sure the extractor flanges are flat

#17 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

After the normal acl stuff kept failing on me, I found some other stuff acl was selling called NAM30, which was like the old asbestos stuff, without the asbestos.. results were better, and it was much easier to cut, but I still had some problems with it, and when I ran out of the sheet I tried some new stuff my mechanic recomended - it's a graphite & stainless sheet made by Garlock.
I cut the first one by hand, and it was really easy to cut with a sharp knife. when i needed another, I got in contact with garlock ( down near Auburn) and gave them my template, and the drew it up for me, and gave me a part number& they just cut them for me as I needed them... cost was about $30-40 ea, or less for larger quantities.
just checked , and it's called graph-lock 3125ss, and the cost was $35 per gasket for up to 3 pieces

#18 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:38 PM

After the normal acl stuff kept failing on me, I found some other stuff acl was selling called NAM30, which was like the old asbestos stuff, without the asbestos.. results were better, and it was much easier to cut, but I still had some problems with it, and when I ran out of the sheet I tried some new stuff my mechanic recomended - it's a graphite & stainless sheet made by Garlock.
I cut the first one by hand, and it was really easy to cut with a sharp knife. when i needed another, I got in contact with garlock ( down near Auburn) and gave them my template, and the drew it up for me, and gave me a part number& they just cut them for me as I needed them... cost was about $30-40 ea, or less for larger quantities.
just checked , and it's called graph-lock 3125ss, and the cost was $35 per gasket for up to 3 pieces

Nice work,

https://www.garlock....phite-gasketing

https://www.garlock.... 2016-12 EN.pdf

#19 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 02:23 PM