Holden Dealer Team XU1'S

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _des sweeting_

_des sweeting_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Read post about 24c with interest and was wondering if anybody can tell me what happened to both the silver cars raced from early 1972 till about the Sandown 250 in September 1972 when from all accounts both brock and bond got new cars? Also does LKW-111 and LGL-443 still exist or as harry used to do were they the silver cars made into rally cars.

#2 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Harry would of turned the two silver LJ XU-1's into Rally Cars, then later on, Harry would of sold them or GMH Port Melbourne, would of took them back and Tendered them out, but they would of looked like a normal LJXU-1 when sold by GMH or Harry Firth's HDT. Now the number plates were like Harry's (James Bond 007) type plates, he moved them about abit on the LJ HDT Cars, so Story's go.

AL

#3 SPONGY

SPONGY

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Name:Warren Curtis
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

To my knowledge LGL 443  was crashed into a tree many years ago and wrecked out. Previous to this it was race by glen sommerville here in queensland in the late 1970's  and I was part of his pit crew. After it was crashed not by glen but by later owner I bought quiet a few parts that I recognised were off that car.

#4 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Hi guy's ,  i think that one of them did become Bondy's '73/'74 rally car that wore the LGL-443 plates .... i am sure that came up in a conversation between Daz and Harry years back ......... of note LGL-443 was the rego no originally for 24c , issued Sept '72 .....both the silver cars had the KZR-545 and 565 plates on them ...... which of course were on the 2 '71 Bathurst cars of Brock and Bond and then back on these 2 cars when they became the '72 rally cars ........ as Al said , James Bond plates ! ...... if only they had velcro back then !!! ...... one of these 2 LC's became the Repco powered 'Beast' mk2 and i seem to recall Ian Tate telling me one was given to a bucks down racer who crashed his car at a circuit meet in the early '70's

As for the other silver car .... well not sure exactly , but i am seeing Ian Tate and Barry Ferguson in a couple of weeks time so will ask the Question.

LKW-111 is alive and in NSW as i understand .... i seem to recall that it was built from a new car and not an older used car as previous cars were.

The number plate is ironically on Daz's old HK monaro which is owned by one of the previous owners of 24c.

Hope this helps ...( or adds to the confusion ! )

Laz

#5 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

wolud love to know about the 1970 lc gtr's the team was given to devlop the xu1's and the lc gtr rally cars especially the one driven by brock and bond that had dammage to the left rear qrt  from the door back to the tail light.

#6 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi guy's ,  i think that one of them did become Bondy's '73/'74 rally car that wore the LGL-443 plates .... i am sure that came up in a conversation between Daz and Harry years back ......... of note LGL-443 was the rego no originally for 24c , issued Sept '72 .....both the silver cars had the KZR-545 and 565 plates on them ...... which of course were on the 2 '71 Bathurst cars of Brock and Bond and then back on these 2 cars when they became the '72 rally cars ........ as Al said , James Bond plates ! ...... if only they had velcro back then !!! ...... one of these 2 LC's became the Repco powered 'Beast' mk2 and i seem to recall Ian Tate telling me one was given to a bucks down racer who crashed his car at a circuit meet in the early '70's

As for the other silver car .... well not sure exactly , but i am seeing Ian Tate and Barry Ferguson in a couple of weeks time so will ask the Question.

LKW-111 is alive and in NSW as i understand .... i seem to recall that it was built from a new car and not an older used car as previous cars were.

The number plate is ironically on Daz's old HK monaro which is owned by one of the previous owners of 24c.

Hope this helps ...( or adds to the confusion ! )

Laz

And that is just some of the number plate rotation. And the engine numbers were cycled around as well....!

#7 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

The reason i want to know this is because my lc has never had any rego before myself. I know HDT changed plates around and i'm not saying my car is one of theirs but a lc gtr torana with no rego from 1970 till when i put rego on it can't be true. I paid for a rego check to see  if anyone had it regoed before me and no owners came up at all. This makes me he one regested owner of my lc gtr.So as i said before i would like to know what happed to all the teams lc gtrs from 1970. the one i'am interested in was bond and brocks lc gtr rally car from 1970. i have seen a photo of the car when going over a jump and it had same damage to it as mie had when i first got the car. I was told it was a rally car in the 70's and had sat idle since then. Thi was confirmed by the no rego at all on the car.

NOW BY NOW MEANS AM I SAYING MY CAR IS A HDT RALLY CAR BUT WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPED TO ALL THE HDT RALLY CARS FROM 1970 AND IF THERE IS ANY WAY TO ID ONE.

#8 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

The reason i want to know this is because my lc has never had any rego before myself. I know HDT changed plates around and i'm not saying my car is one of theirs but a lc gtr torana with no rego from 1970 till when i put rego on it can't be true. I paid for a rego check to see  if anyone had it regoed before me and no owners came up at all. This makes me he one regested owner of my lc gtr.So as i said before i would like to know what happed to all the teams lc gtrs from 1970. the one i'am interested in was bond and brocks lc gtr rally car from 1970. i have seen a photo of the car when going over a jump and it had same damage to it as mie had when i first got the car. I was told it was a rally car in the 70's and had sat idle since then. Thi was confirmed by the no rego at all on the car.
NOW BY NOW MEANS AM I SAYING MY CAR IS A HDT RALLY CAR BUT WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPED TO ALL THE HDT RALLY CARS FROM 1970 AND IF THERE IS ANY WAY TO ID ONE.

cams logbook,roll cage holes...the normal stuff you use to id a old race car...
and be prepared for all the arguments that follow .... :)

#9 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

p

Whats your vin number dave?

#10 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

as i said car has no vin number or tags jus a body number. car had all the normal holes for rool cage and has  been gutted of extra inturnal pannels for lighting the car. things they would of done in the day. inner pannels removed that arn't needed. what else can id a ex rally car as you all know what state it was in when i got it.

body number matches a 3/4 month 70 car.

#11 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Phil Brock built a sliver LC or LJ sports sedan, six cylinder with an Irving head. Later raced by John Chambers in Vic, but l have no idea if this car was ex HDT.

#12 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I thought the only LC GTR they used was the one that Brocky drove, The First Beast, that had the Vic Rego Number KLD158, Peter Brock said it was the first LC GTR off the Production Line, then later on in 1970 i think, Harry got a Yellow LC XU-1 and a Green LC XU-1, that there is a photo of them together in Harry's HDT Workshop in 1970, as far as i know these were the first 3-LC Torana's he got, as far as i know.

Edited by xu2308, 25 February 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#13 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

In Harry's Torana The Great Book

First Cars in Workshop-1970

KSN116 Yellow LC XU-1

BOI812 Green LC XU-1

and of course there is KLD158, that was turned into the First HDT Beast, it was a LC GTR, as i sald before, the first LC GTR off the production line, now was it a Melbourne built LC GTR or a Adelaide Built LC GTR, that is the Question.

AL

#14 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Mine started out as a green GTR to start with. I found the factory Green after i stripped back all the paint that was on it when i started the build.

As far as i know holden supplied HDT with a few gtr lc torana's to build them into the up beat XU-1.

I have seen a photo of the green lc going over a jump with dammage down the left rear qrt that matched the damage on mine when i got it.

Kinda looked like a grove from the door back as if they had hit a tray of a ute and driven foward leaveing the grove down the side of the car just above the wheel arch. Mine also has a adelaide front gard fitted and a brisbane gard fitted too, The body number is that of a Brisbane car not Melbourne or Adelaide

#15 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Genuinely good luck Dave.

Must be an exciting and frustrating time for you.

#16 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

If it is good stuff .but if not I still love it. Would be good to find out tho

#17 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

To the best of my knowledge only......One of the linamint rally cars started life as an XU1 series production car. It had Vic rego KRK-720. It was raced at Warwick Farm by Bond in Sep 1970, winning first up, and again by Bob Morris at Oran Park later that month, before being raced by the girls at Bathurst. It was then registered in NSW as BOI-812 for rally duties (no problems with the light set up in NSW, but that same set up was not allowed in Vic). Larry is best placed to talk about the other linamint rally car, but I believe it started life linamint, was painted yellow for Bathurst 1970, and was later returned to linamint for rally duties. I think it went from Vic KSN-116 to NSW BJD-440.

Edited by oz772, 25 February 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#18 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

In 1970 the Holden Dealer Team ran 2 GTR's in spasmodic events , Tony Roberts and Mike Osbourne were in a White GTR ( KLD-158) and a Yellow Car (KMK-135), Barry Ferguson and Dave Johnson. In '70 Bond/ Shepheard drove a 350 Monaro in 3 events of the ARC and used a GTR in the Southern Cross Rally '70 finishing 8th that was the KLD-158 car, Fergy won it in a GTR

KLD-158 was the car which was the Mule car for the XU1 , it was a '69 GTR that was rallied by Roberts and others during '70 and became modified during the later part of '70 when used for rallycross and as a sports sedan.

KMK-135 was up-speced to an XU1 for '71

Other than the first 2 GTR's the ensuing rally cars were all ex Touring cars and all but KMK-135 were XU1's , at least for HDT anyway.

Laz

#19 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

According to Brock the silver cars just got painted in the new colours. I remember him going on about how all they did was repaint his car and it felt like it gained 15hp. There was a photo at one round where is car was the new colours and Bonds was still silver somewhere. Then again, Brock said a lot of things...the VK at Bathurst is the 25 car, A9X's used the 2.6 diff at Bathurst, he got a brand new car for Bathurst 79....I'm sure theres more.

#20 _XU1 355_

_XU1 355_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hi Dave, After reading your posts,I think your best bet is to ring CAMS and ask for Keith who still has some records. Get all your details regarding cars year .What year you think it raced and what ever body numbers you have. Good Luck in your findings. Tom

#21 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hi tom would u know witch cams office he is at or have the number????

#22 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Well Grant came over today and had a look at the car. What he can tell is that it is more then likely a ex race car but from witch team who knows. As I said earlier in the post I didn't care if it was or wasn't an Hdt car but now I know that the chance is very low and more then likely not but it is most likely a race car from a qld team. Only narrows it down to about 200 cars Grant said.
If Tom knows the correct number to contact the right person at cams can he pls pm me with it. Thanks

#23 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

The most likelyhood is that it raced as a drag car.

#24 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Is that what others have said after u looked at it Grant??? I know it was part of the conversation we had as a possible answer but you where not sure witch way it was a race car. Circuit or drags.

#25 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

I did say there was a good chance it was a drag car, and the more I think about the more I lean that way.
As said, I would never rule out the possibility of someone having thrown it round a track at some stage........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users