Installing an Injected 5 litre

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

I have read and posted on many threads where people run into issues with fuel injected 5 litres.

This is a basic guide on problem solving. It doesn't have all the answers, but it should stimulate a few brain cells

and help you work it out for yourself.

There are a few things I would recommend to anyone who has one or will be fitting one in the future.

1) A basic 12 volt test lamp - A cheap way is to use an LED and 560 ohm resistor in series.

2) A reasonable digital multimeter that has voltage, resistance and continuity functions.

3) A Gregories manual. - #258 for 1989-1991 V8 commodore actually has a reasonable wiring diagram.

4) The GMH VP and VQ service manual No.4 (AKA the must have blue book)

5) Beer and patience !  - Use a step by step approach of fault finding.

Most issues of non starting 5 Litre's fall into 3 categories.

1) It wont turn over at all.

Check the battery is charged (multimeter on volts)

Check you have +12 volts at the starter motor solenoid. (multimeter on volts)

Check the earth connections are tight (multimeter on continuity - one lead on -ve batt terminal and other lead can probe earth points)

Check there is +12 volts at the violet wire to the starter solenoid when key turned to start (multimeter on volts)

No voltage at violet wire ?  Check starter relay.

Is the car auto ?, check park/neutral start safety switch

2) There's no fuel

Follow the path of the fuel from tank to engine

Check you have enough fuel in the tank (at least half a tank)

Check fuel pump wires are connected (don't laugh, ive seen this done twice !)

With the key turned to IGN, the fuel pump should run for a few seconds and then stop (this is normal)

Check fuel pump relay (page 98 of the Gregories shows you how)

Is there enough fuel pressure ? (280 - 320 kpa, follow safety instructions in Gregories to test this)

Are the injector wires connected ?

3) There's no spark

Verify +12 volt at ECU with IGN on

Check earth leads

Check coil and its connections (check coil body for cracks, is common when their stuffed)

I have seen numerous examples of ignition failure that all involve coil + ignition module + halls effect trigger in distributor.

If an ignition module fails, there is a high chance that the halls effect trigger will fail and/or the coil as well.

If the ignition module is found to be at fault, change the halls effect trigger too.

You can buy the halls effect trigger on its own and install it easily in the distributor yourself (Gregories page 97)

Schultz auto electrics in Perth is where I source mine from.

Make sure you have fitted the engine check light.

This is an invaluable tool for fault finding using the GMH VP and VQ service manual No.4 (AKA the must have blue book) mentioned above.

It looks like this

IMG_0198_zpsa81f4267.jpg

And has diagnostic flow charts and information set out like this

IMG_0196_zps41a50aae.jpg

IMG_0197_zps958fdd54.jpg

IMG_0267_zps89ecf361.jpg

IMG_0266_zps24664c0a.jpg

IMG_0265_zps89a7b02e.jpg

IMG_0264_zps604080ed.jpg

IMG_0263_zpsb4a7739e.jpg

IMG_0262_zpsf538acb6.jpg

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Nice, I like how you started with fuel and spark - for some reason people tend to forget that its still an internal combustion engine just because it has electronic injection!

#3 _LC 2door V8_

_LC 2door V8_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Attached File  IMG_0659 - Copy.JPG   191.64K   71 downloads

Looks traditional, but in injected with throttle body.

#4 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for this - very handy. I have the engine check light from the donor commodore, but not sure where to wire it in given I have modified the harness. Any idea? That blue book looks handy...

#5 UCgazman

UCgazman

UC's FTW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Name:Garth
  • Car:UC S̶u̶n̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ 5000!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

The CEL gets power from 12v ign+ and earths through the Brown/White wire that goes to the ALDL diagnostic plug...

*edit* thats VN VP, not sure if the later models are different coloured wires :dontknow:

Edited by UCgazman, 18 June 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#6 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Champion, thanks. In she goes tomoz, probably into the empty choke hole. :-)
And yes, mine is from a VN.

Edited by SmacT, 18 June 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#7 _hotlx8_

_hotlx8_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

8e56c223abc1a7c7ca3f35755689fdb6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

I just love injected 304's in torry's.  Nicely done...

#9 Marks LXTorana

Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name:Mark Grovenor
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:23 AM

Hoping someone might be able to help; I have removed the standard inlet manifold and replaced it with the Edelbrock dual plane manifold and Aeroflow throttle body. There isnt a suitable place to mount the MAT sensor so i assume I need to drill and tap M14x1.5 into the manifold (the original was close to the entry into the head)?

Also I thought I would try starting it which was fine after priming the fuel rail, although with no throttle the engine raced like it had full throttle so I had to shut it off straight away. Do I need to let the TPS and IAC sensors re-learn somehow? Most posts seem to be the opposite - engine wont idle!

#10 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:33 AM

Yes its meant to be close to the head port as its trying to determine the charge temp - you can install it further away but may require more detailed alterations to the tune to suit.

This is what I did, almost hidden down by the dizzy. Just check the manifold has enough thickness in the runners first
20151124_202142.jpg

The IAC should close fully when you switch the key on, then retract to its specified number of steps. Max steps may need altering in the tune for a different throttle body though, some have a longer distance to cover.

TPS should be straight forward as long as its GM style, just make sure it hits 0 and 100 (approximately) when closed and open.

#11 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:31 AM

Another stupid technicality...

If you use a complete VN-onward motor then the installation has to comply with the emission controls associated with that engine (including catalytic convertors).

However if you use a period block, say an original Torana engine block, and just fit the VN-onward heads/cam/etc., it only needs to comply with the original Torana emission controls (meaning no cats).

The stupid part is, there is essentially no difference in the blocks, at least none that affect emissions anyway.

#12 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:34 AM

Them's the rules though! Lucky 1974-6 cast dates look just like 1994-6......

#13 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

Also, dual plane manifolds do not work well with injection, the different length runners cause havoc with the fuel calibrations and sensors. Single planes work much better.

#14 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

^ That would apply with throttle body injection but not if it has port injection (air-only throttle body), could be either from the description above I guess

#15 Marks LXTorana

Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

Yes its meant to be close to the head port as its trying to determine the charge temp - you can install it further away but may require more detailed alterations to the tune to suit.

This is what I did, almost hidden down by the dizzy. Just check the manifold has enough thickness in the runners first

The IAC should close fully when you switch the key on, then retract to its specified number of steps. Max steps may need altering in the tune for a different throttle body though, some have a longer distance to cover.

TPS should be straight forward as long as its GM style, just make sure it hits 0 and 100 (approximately) when closed and open.

​Thanks for the replies, I was hoping I might see an example of where to tap the manifold! Yes the car is running cats as part of the set up too.

I am not sure if the wiring for the IAC has somehow become corrupted as I have turned the ignition on and it doesn't move (waited around 15 seconds). I then put my original IAC back on and tried it, same thing. I noticed the original IAC is extended much further but neither one moves when ignition is turned on. I therefore taped over the air bleed hole for the IAC and made sure the butterflies were fully closed and although the engine kicks over immediately, it still wants to race like it has full throttle.

I plugged the original TPS back in (I notice it rotates in the opposite direction so I can't fit it to the throttle body) and left it sitting next to the throttle body but again, the engine is racing. I cannot leave the ignition on at all as it will over-rev the engine so I have to shut it off immediately each time.

I am thinking it might be due to air leaks. I have used the available throttle body ports for brake booster, fuel rail solenoid, and the little rectangular solenoid screwed into the firewall (what is that!!) although I am using the old manifold gaskets (they looked in good condition). I have new gaskets but as soon as I know I have it running OK, the whole engine is coming out for a mini rebuild due to rear main seal leaking.

My biggest problem was pulling the wiring loom apart so I could re-route the wiring for the new manifold and hide as much as possible. I think I should have done the manifold first, confirmed it runs fine, THEN start on the re-wiring... :banghead:

Edited by Marks LXTorana, 14 February 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#16 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

​~ and the little rectangular solenoid screwed into the firewall (what is that!!) ~

If you're talking about one of these...

VL_Commodore_MAP_Sensor.jpg

...it's a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor.

#17 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

^ That would apply with throttle body injection but not if it has port injection (air-only throttle body), could be either from the description above I guess

No you get different length paths for the air, go on some of the injection forums like FAST, Edelbrock, Holley etc, they have lots of issues with dual plane manifolds and throttle bodies, and injectors in the manifold don't seem to make any difference.

#18 _lx304hatch_

_lx304hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

Great post 434
I've just put 304 from a vt in my hatch yesterday
Having issues with my conversion loom
The kit I got comes from micks4wd even tho it has v6conversions all over it
Unfortunately the instructions I have are only the micks4wd ones and are not straight forward at all
I have a 6 wire plug on the torana and conversion loom has 9 wires

Any one that could lend some advise or a copy of the v6conversions instructions would be fantastic

#19 Marks LXTorana

Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

Great post 434
I've just put 304 from a vt in my hatch yesterday
Having issues with my conversion loom
The kit I got comes from micks4wd even tho it has v6conversions all over it
Unfortunately the instructions I have are only the micks4wd ones and are not straight forward at all
I have a 6 wire plug on the torana and conversion loom has 9 wires

Any one that could lend some advise or a copy of the v6conversions instructions would be fantastic

​The only advice I can offer is to get yourself a good Holden workshop manual with the detailed ECM wiring diagrams. I bought my car already set up and was too scared to touch anything but after reviewing the engine harness circuits I realised it was all fairly straight forward. VN loom might be different as the injectors are all hooked into a single circuit and fire together. Not sure about the conversion loom, my original Torana loom was hooked into the VN wiring very randomly where required....

#20 Antman

Antman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Name:Anton Mann
  • Car:Torana Hatchback

Posted 16 February 2020 - 08:21 PM

looking at a VT 304 auto for my conversion. I would like to stay with a manual. Someone told me I would need to get the computer remapped from the auto to the manual? Is this correct and is it a big hassle?

#21 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:52 AM

It is a Memcal in these so can be done. You have to get the Memcal modded anyway to remove the VATS anti-theft stuff and the ppk constant changed to suit your diff ratio and tyre size. VT and newer (VSIII) engine is the hardest for a conversion but still easy compared to an LS.

It also might be worth getting the ECU modified with an EEPROM or NVram rather than an EPROM in the Memcal, and a comms port added. This way you can get a basic tune done so it runs and get it dynoed properly when all finished.

Edited by yel327, 17 February 2020 - 04:57 AM.

#22 Antman

Antman

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Name:Anton Mann
  • Car:Torana Hatchback

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:17 PM

Progressing with things over here. Engine in progress of rebuild, found a 5 speed, sourcing bits and pieces and shopping list growing daily.  :D Funny that there seems to be a direct correlation between parts found/bought and shopping list growing rather than shrinking??  :huh:

Thought it would be ok to add to this thread for future info?

Anyway trying to find someone (looking for recommendations) in WA to have Memcal modded as per Yel327 suggestion (remove vats/anti theft) with EEPROM or NVram & comms port.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Cheers

Antman

Edited by Antman, 02 July 2020 - 10:18 PM.

#23 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:43 AM

Ask here
http://www.kalmaker.com.au/

#24 VZ1_60

VZ1_60

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

have a look at pcmhacking.net, plenty of info there

https://pcmhacking.net/forums

cheers

Edited by VZ1_60, 03 July 2020 - 10:07 AM.

#25 bat 53

bat 53

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Name:albert
  • Car:lc gtr

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

bill lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users