36 replies to this topic

#1 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Went to eastern creek today to watch and support my good close friend Ned from Hercules competition engine's take his Holden EH for a few passes down the strip...

Picked up my good friend Matt (SLR 3300) for a good fun day.. 

Ned's EH  has been built from 60's technology bar the new 750 holley carby and victor junior manifold...its runs on 98 octane pump gas.

the car is fitted with a 327 chev,factory iron fuelie heads,.muncie 2.20 ratio muncie rockcrusher gearbox,factory hurst shifter and chev 12 bolt diff 3.55 lsd ..

it still runs on its original kingpin front end,..it uses 14in bob jane radial road tyres.205/60.

the car's basic appearance standard light blue white roof bench seat,standard steering wheel,stock dash gauges bar a hidden smiths temp gauge.

this was the first time out for this car..

first run 11.5 @ 126mph

second run 11.3 @ 126 mph

third run 11.3 @ 127.5 mph

these runs were done near 30 degree heat,..with the engine bogging cause of the gearing and the fear of totally smoking the tyres and the clutch...

kinda like trying to walk on egg shells..

the car's gearing is way to tall but he said he was building a strong street cruiser...with a set of 3.90 gears and slicks and better cooler conditions this car would be a mid ten second car with the slightest of ease as Ned's a master driving...and a brilliant STICK SHIFT DRIVER...pretty impressive guys what do think

#2 _Growler_

_Growler_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Sounds very soopa cool man, any pics?

#3 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Stickshifts forever.

Autos are for Nannas.

Nice work.

#4 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

If God had wanted us to drive manuals, he would've given us 3 feet.

#5 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

not really into the drags...but I remember from back in the day and a few trips to the old Castlereagh track in Western Sydney....any street car at 12s or less was F A S T., .....so well into the 11s is B L O O D Y fast.

#6 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Very impressive alright in my view!!!. The engineering of this car is phenominal, it's one thing to build a strong engine, but putting the power to the ground the way Ned has with his EH is even more impressive. This car out performed supposedly better set up cars with coil over suspension, slick tyres, tricked up autos with stall convertors etc using technology & parts a lot of people would consider inferior or out dated. Certainly opened a few eyes at the track & is testimony to Ned's skill not just as a engine builder, but as an automotive engineer. This car is fully engineered & street registered in NSW, was driven to the track & raced in full street trim without changing a thing, then driven home. A true street car that is equally at home on the strip. Can't get much better than that IMO & I am proud to have been able to watch Ned & his car run the strip today.

#7 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

"Power to the ground" that is the key sounds like  Ned was getting it down today .

The diff ratio is the killer for "street" cars that want to see how quick they can go but still drive home on the highway i am still trying to decide what gears to put in my new Monaro but 4.3 s at the moment make highway speed cruising basically impossible .

I am sure there would of been a few people taking note of Ned today and hopefully he will get a bit of business out of it ,love the EH utes -especially when there running 11s

#8 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I saw this run on Sunday was very impressed with its performance. it was the ultimate sleeper

#9 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

any pics of car?

#10 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

i have some good pics of the car on my smart phone if some could download them for me for all to share and enjoy...

#11 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:26 AM

Would love to see some pics! i actually saw a V8 EH the other night on the way to work! i heard this nice V8 thing coming and looked over to see an EH!..it was a bit rough looking with a matt paint job but she sounded good. :)

#12 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:08 AM

If God had wanted us to drive manuals, he would've given us 3 feet.

i wish that i had 3 feet.thanks jason.

#13 _stretchlc_

_stretchlc_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

I've got 3/4's of a foot!

#14 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

My wife says I dance like I have 3 feet.

Ummm, we are talking about what's on the END of our legs, not between them, are we?

#15 _TorYoda_

_TorYoda_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

A Very nice effort indeed!  Is he using a roller or flat tappet cam?  Rockers? Conrods? Just wondering how complete the 60's era technology is inside the motor is all.  

Old school is simple and cool when you know how to make it work.  I miss the good old days of basic muscle in a TRUE street car.

I also ran my first 11 second pass (18 years ago now) in my everyday street driven to work and back, do the shopping car......  a 3680 pound Valiant 'Safari' wagon powered by a 440 with pocket ported factory iron smog heads, flat tappet cam, stock rods crank valves and rocker gear, extractors and a dominator carb on an Edelbrock Torker.  Run through the 727 auto with a stock convertor on pump fuel and 205/65/14's via the original BW 3.55 diff, it ran consistent 11.50's at 121Mph pipes up, as I drove it to work and back every day.  That car also returned 18MPG.  Some tinkering with the rear suspension geometry rewarded me with a best 60' time of 1.68s on those old Couger remould tyres.

SO Many great Saturday night street racing memories from that car.......  I feel so fortunate to have grown up in an era where there were no rediculously oppressive laws and complicated regulations, just fines for speeding or noise if you were caught.  

Edited by TorYoda, 18 April 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#16 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

It runs a solid flat tappet cam, stock crank & rods, unsure of rockers but they are roller type. It runs factory pressed steel low profile rocker covers & the whole engine fits under the bonnet, no holes or cowl scoops on this car. Ned is a brilliant engineer, part of the requirements for engineering in NSW was for the car to be fitted with a collapsible steering column, Ned sourced a HK column & using parts he machined up himself, he has adapted it to the factory EH steering box. The car passed engineer & NSW rego first go. Most of the mods he has performed on this car are so well done & factory in appearance, you have to know your EHs & look very close to spot them. All part of the package that makes this car what it is.

#17 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

Here are some pics of the car.

IMG_7794_zpsb73b2727.jpg

IMG_7793_zps591032dd.jpg

IMG_7801_zps61041030.jpg

IMG_7802_zps4afecb08.jpg

These are the tyres it run the strip on, 14" street radials.

IMG_7800_zps5524581e.jpg

The only part of the build not done in-house is the fender pipes & exhaust. Note the factory early Corvette pressed steel rocker covers.

IMG_7802_zps4afecb08.jpg

IMG_7806_zps28ef5a04.jpg

Stock 1964 spec EH interior apart from the floor shifter. Doesn't even have a radio.

IMG_7798_zpsedd0a187.jpg

IMG_7797_zpsb0214c47.jpg

Ned is somewhat of a quiet achiever, no large stickers etc promoting his business. He did insist I take this pic though.

IMG_7796_zps438afd37.jpg

These pics are courtesy of Joe (unclefestal34s).

IMG_1557_zps43404cc8.jpg

Some examples of the engineering behind this car, parts either hand made or sourced over the counter & adapted to fit the car like the dual circuit brake master cylinder that bolts straight up to the firewall & it operated by an unmodified stock EH pedal.

IMG_1555_zps38985b05.jpg

Standard EH steering box with modified HK steering column.

IMG_7804_zps059b16a4.jpg

Ned wanted to keep the car GM spec, so that meant choosing a diff other than a Ford 9" but would be up to the task at hand. Chev 12 bolt out of a Camaro.

IMG_7813_zpscdbb1312.jpg

#18 _Growler_

_Growler_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

Gee makes me wanna go out and buy a nice EH

#19 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

good stuff matt&bel for putting up these pictures for our forum to enjoy......these pics will give our forum members a idea of how simple this car..

i've personally driven and ridden in some fast cars in my time,...but nothing compares to this Holden EH street car...the speed it picks up with that gearing only a extremely fast jap motorbike comes close to it yet the weird thing about this car is it relatively quiet in the exhaust and engine,...but by far the most fascinating thing for was its simple ride,...

i was expecting the usual rattles and squeaks associate with a car of this vintage yet i know full well i could jump in and drive this car on a long trip with minimum fuss...

like i said this is a real sleeper in its true form...

i'm sure the 2012 nissan GTR twin turbo,4wd,4ws he raced last week on the track will agree....he was noticabaly pissed off after the run and made no secret of it..he did run 11.4 @ 126 but was totally baffled how this car stayed with him and beat him threw the speed traps...

#20 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Awesome car, Awesome engineering.

#21 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Great to see a GM diff behind a stickshft running a good number.

Proof that there are options out there other than fraud shit.

#22 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

This car would have to be right up your alley...

#23 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

Great to see a GM diff behind a stickshft running a good number.

Proof that there are options out there other than fraud shit.

Spot on. :spoton:

#24 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

I must add a big thank you to Craig (73BATHXU1HTBATH) for the steering column

in Neds car.

You are a legend Craig.

#25 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Nothing better than a manually shifted chev,and a 12 bolt,in a classic holden.

Ned has done a great job building his car,and to run numbers like that is very impressive,steering column could not have gone to a better home.

cheers 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users