73 LJ S Coupe Wiring diagram

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _LJ Kermit_

_LJ Kermit_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

hello...

in case I have missed or overlooked the response to another person, instant apology!

73 LJ S 6 cyl manual wiring diagram.

I have a copy of the GMH manual for LC and this shows most of the stuff but not the LJ specific mods.

Have redrawn the LC one in CAD to increase my understanding. 

where's the best place to look for this LJ information?

best wishes...

"when the shed is silent, that is the time to strike..."

LJK the shed ninja

#2 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hi mate - from an old thread....................

******************************************************************************************************
'S pack', on 10 May 2011 - 21:49, said:

G/day Guys,

Gonna burst your bubble, that wiring diagram is LC GTR not LJ GTR.

The only LJ wiring diagram I've ever seen is the one in the LJ supplement and it's not in colour and is 72 model with the external reg and park lamps in indicators.
Never seen or heard of a diagram for the 73 with internal reg and park lamps in headlights, but those two differences are only minor.

Cheers
Dave

The park lamps in headlights (& amber front blinkers) were fitted to every Torana built in 1973, it actually was introduced in production in Nov & Dec 72, depending on which plant.

However, the internal reg was only fitted to some late 1973 cars, most 73 cars have the external reg.

Is the internal reg wiring changed at all? In practice you can just tape the reg plug back to the harness & fit the 2-pin plug at the alternator end onto the single pin terminal on the rear of the alternator, is that how the factory cars were done?

Dr Terry e....from an old thread...

#3 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,840 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

also,,,there is good mail in Forums/Electrical....then search on 'wiring diagrams' or what ever you are looking for.

#4 _LJ Kermit_

_LJ Kermit_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

hello...

after months of pissing about and getting nowhere quickly I took a challenge...

have redrawn the LC 6 cyl wiring diagram for LJ and and GTR and also redrawn the LH/LX

why?  cos I like large circuit diagrams that can scale nicely to A2 or A1 size.

they are not complete yet so I have attached a simple sample....

need to know if they are useful/correct and wanted in larger sizes such as A1 or A0 as  wall posters...

dave

Attached Files

#5 _Caustic_

_Caustic_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:06 PM

Nice work,when i expand the diagram i cant make out what the lettering says.Any tips..cheers.

#6 _LJ Kermit_

_LJ Kermit_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

hello...

Previous picture was a draft image (not complete) and rather small to minimize large file size congestion.... 

This printed version has sufficient resolution to permit clear copies from A4 up to B0 (1000mm x 1414mm ) wall poster size -

see attached image.  can even put it on a t-shirt for the torana geek... me!  :-) 

I am a trade based technical writer, and this is what I do... produce excellent drawings and manuals.

revised and uncluttered because after years of doing it for money i really do not like crappy wiring diagrams...

if this new version is useful, I will start on the LH/LX torana wiring diagrams

note that this drawing is based on a page scan from Antoniou (1984) "Holden Torana GTR-XU1" but i don't have the book...

things to be considered before this is finished are

1. external/internal  regulator

2. composite/separate front indicators and park lights

3. automatic or manual transmission

4. four or six cylinder motor

5. two or four door and so on.

all comments welcome...

more later...

dave

Attached Files

#7 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:56 PM

It's good to see that we can now have an accurate 73 lj wiring diagram. Once you've owned a few Lj's and know the differences in the 73 models it's ok but initially it can be confusing.

Maybe call the earth wires earth's instead of a radio suppressor or whatever the diaphragms have. I used to wonder what was meant by that.

#8 _LJ Kermit_

_LJ Kermit_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

what do people want?

1. external/internal  regulator

2. composite/separate front indicators and park lights

3. automatic or manual transmission

4. four or six cylinder motor

5. two or four door and so on.

6. size  A4-A0?

for example, I am not aware of an Automatic XU1 so should the neutral start switch be removed from the GTR XU1 drawings to aid clarity?

it is my intention to diversify the drawing into specific 72 and 73 LJ S/Sl and GTR XU1 versions  which is rather easy now that i have the large drawing.

mine is a 73LJ S6 so I do not need automatic components, but do need separate front indicators and park lights.

comments welcome...

dave

#9 _egk4d_

_egk4d_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

Great work, i only have an lc sorry woulndnt need the lj

#10 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:15 AM

Personally I think the internal alternator regulator, parkers separate from indicators, 6 cylinder, manual and full instrumentation is what would be most desirable.

A4 sizing, thanks.

#11 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:36 AM

I'd wear that on a tshirt

#12 _LJ Kermit_

_LJ Kermit_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:12 PM

hello...

have got sidetracked into a UC torana diagram... a very pressing need...

can provide an LJ GTR XU1 diagram (A4 PDF) soon with:

internal regulator

manual transmission,

separate park lights/front indicators

with gtr gauges.

My large printout (B0) was an experiment to see how well the drawing scales up to extremely silly size (table cloth size or 1414mm x 1000mm)

suitable for decorating the walls of the shed...

intend to finish the LC GTR diagram soon (to same high resolution standard).

Already intend to put the diagram onto a t-shirt.  (mine...  but will consider other requests...)

will be able to print out A3 sized, laminated diagrams for nominal cost (mainly postage) soon if needed.

dave the wiring geek

#13 _LJ Kermit_

_LJ Kermit_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

re the radio suppression capacitor.

its purpose is to dump high frequency electrical noise from the ignition circuitry caused by ringing/overshoot on an inductive load.

every time an ignition pulse is generated it produces a lot of extra electrical noise which can swamp radio reception unless trapped and sent to ground through the capacitor.

more later...

dave

#14 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:35 PM

Dave,

good work, Im just now trying to " wire in a battery isolator " and also separate starter buttom.

i would be awesome if the diagram could be adjusted to show " where to take these wires off from and then return back in" 

g

#15 _LJ Kermit_

_LJ Kermit_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:42 PM

hello...

sorry about the delay in answering...  get sidetracked in other areas....

isolation switches...  the only ones i have had dealings with are in 4WDs  usually in the battery earth wire to body...

a manual start button could be achieved in a number of ways... depending on your choices...  with or without relays, with or without electronics...  etc...

if you already have a circuit diagram with the modifications drawn in, editing the drawing to show them is easy...

essentially the manual start button needs to be in the solenoid wiring from the source of power to solenoid  (purple wire in the drawing)

so if you have already got the wiring sorted out I can redo a drawing to cover it...

the design if not will require a little bit of consultation.....  e.g if it is anti-theft wiring... then the design needs to keep an insurance company happy...

more later...

dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users