Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:Ve ssv ute and lc gtr

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Hey all.

Finally had the lc sandblasted and etched. Now the fun begins going to attempt repairs myself. the dodgy bandits that tried to do repairs prior to me getting it should be shot.

here is a few pics. If someone has the two rust repair sections i could buy that would be great.

ill keep it updated as i go, sills have been replaced but door bottoms seem to hit them me thinks they have been put on too high because the body lines are fine :(

Attached Files

#2 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

good luck with it matt and just remember the prep work is the key to a great final finish,

cheers gong

#3 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Cheers gong. Ill be picking yours and mikes brain a bit im thinking....

#4 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

See the pic with the new door skin / bog, would that be fixable to get thr right profile?

#5 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Well done Matt... And remmeber it can ALL be fixed f you make a mistake... I cant see any more pics???? 

Hey all.

Finally had the lc sandblasted and etched. Now the fun begins going to attempt repairs myself. the dodgy bandits that tried to do repairs prior to me getting it should be shot.

here is a few pics. If someone has the two rust repair sections i could buy that would be great.

ill keep it updated as i go, sills have been replaced but door bottoms seem to hit them me thinks they have been put on too high because the body lines are fine :(

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,536 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Well done Matt... And remmeber it can ALL be fixed f you make a mistake... I cant see any more pics???? 

4th pic down Mike, the drivers door gap to rear quarter, it's farking huge. lay your head over onto your left shoulder to see the pic.

I'd be trying another untouched door if you can to see if it the problem is the door, the body work or hinge adjustment.

#7 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Sadly im putting it up for sale :(.

Once i get my computer back i will list it up on the forums i just listed it on ebay for some reason i cant upload picture on gmh site with my ipad?

Anyway, if i dont get the money im after it will be out aside for a couple of years, oh how circumstances change hey....

#8 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

That's a bummer.

Hopefully it will go to a good home.

#9 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

cant find the ebay add mate.

cheers gong

#10 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

Hi Matt, appart from the front end missing (obviously he has replacements) it looks like a pretty good body for a non restored 40ish yr old lc gtr, Good luck either way mate, Looks like a good one for you Gong or Mike, Gary.

#11 stevemc32

stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LJ 4 Door

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

cant find the ebay add mate.

cheers gong

This one?

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1423.l2649

#12 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

thats the one.

good luck with it all.

cheers gong

#13 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   173.95K   2 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   205.53K   1 downloads

#14 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   217.34K   1 downloads

#15 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Ive been working on the passenger side sill today. Biggest pain in the ass has been deleting previous dodgy patchs and welds... But its starting to come together. Ive used some fusion bond behind the sill before i spot and plug weld it finally together. Next will be the boot area once again repairing dodgy over lapped patches etc ;(Attached File  image.jpg   208.1K   6 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   107.59K   5 downloads

#16 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

looks good matt.....

Advice on fitting your doors.. first important thing is to make sure you add at least 10 kilo in there for the correct weight.. empty door shell is about 10-11 kilo.. when assembled 20-21 kilo..

Make sure you are happy with how it sits as to the rear opening.. Make sure that is even.. about 3-4mm seems to be the go with it sitting to match the cowl and the top of door is nice.... dummy fit a guard to help aline.. dont need the front radiator.. It can sit on the inner skirt.... Then check the top frame of the door, making sure there is at least 2-3mm min gap. U can move the frame if needed,, but make sure that the gap is even up to the roof,  install the rear quarter glass with the pinch weld.  as it aligns with this as well I go for even gaps between door and quarter glass, all the way from bottom to top. U can move the quarter around a bit... when this is correct.  I always make sure the door sits a tad high, to allow for future sagging/settling. aling the sill to the door with about a 4mm gap....

When you put the guard on.. you have a bit of play as to forward back, up and down.. Not a lot, but enough to get the gaps right... If using the repo guards.. They sit funny.. either you have the body line correct or you get the cowl gap correct.... go for the body line and fix the cowl end/door gap....., youll find the guard will sit crooked... the gap up top will be big and the gap at the bottom will be small.... grind and weld to be fussy AFTER its all fitted/welded together...

IF ALL THAT FAILS.. assemble the car with guards etc but donrt weld guards on, tech screw in the final position.... the cut the hinge barrels off the A-piilar.. fit barrels to doors, tach the doors in your desired positin..making sure you have the strickers in place.. Then take off the guards..weld the outer side.. untack doors, weld other side.. Way easier I think :)

http://www.gmh-toran...-repairs/page-3

And how was the fusion bond? did it weld through ok? ant spatter/blow back when welding through it???????

mike

Edited by mikecatts, 23 February 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#17 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the advice mike I use your thread for references at the moment. The cutting the barrel off and re welding is a ripper idea. Found the fusion bond was Awsome , little bit of spatter I'm guessing bit of resistance is the cause but all and all good stuff.

#18 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

Hey guys. Long time coming but we have updates!

After purchasing the car back in 2012, its almost painted haha!

Lots and lots and lots of work has gone into the car to get it to this stage, alot more time and money then i had planned. Here is a couple of pictures, underside gets stoneguard next week also engine bay and boot are getting the gmh satin black.

#19 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:16 PM

I have hundreds of photos of the full build, Mikecatts had a post on the rust repair / panel alignment somewhere. 

I will post more once i get them all together.

#20 lj72bathurst

lj72bathurst

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:20 PM

Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Cheers Jason

#21 linalj

linalj

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 12:21 PM

Attached File  IMG_1133.PNG   319.48K   8 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1134.PNG   333.87K   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1132.PNG   275.03K   4 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users