stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LJ 4 Door

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

I have a VH320 (HG) brake booster that I'd like to fit to an LJ and a bit of research has indicated this will be possible once the rear pushrod has been changed over for the original Torana part.

My question is whether this change would be something I could accomplish myself with standard tools like just separate the halves to drop out the old pushrod and replace with the new one, or is it something that requires special tools and experience on brake booster work?

Thanks.

#2 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

Is the booster in good working order or is it's condition unknown? The hardest part about repairing these boosters can be getting the shell apart.

Certainly not beyond the scope of the home mechanic to do but definitely easier to get the experts to modify/reco it and you get the benefit of it being tested and a warranty.

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

Certainly do-able

But even after 20+ years in the brake industry I wouldn't do it myself personally

But I like things to work when they are put back together (I have passion fingers)

#4 stevemc32

stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Cheers, thanks guys.

Looks like it's off to the experts for the modifications and might as well get it overhauled at the same time.  If anyone knows I'd be interested in what should be a rough cost estimate for this work.

#5 _darkerheart_

_darkerheart_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

hey steve,i have just fitted one vh324 ,just finished,i got mine through HYDROBOOST which was on another post and i can not be happier,what a difference,great service,cost me $351 delivered and i had no change-over.just specify the front push-rod length as lc and lj are different,mine is a lj and about 28 mm out the front the lc i am told was much shorter.it,s the way to go i reackon.also no back push-rod mod to do fits straight on.$225 if you have a change-over.

Edited by darkerheart, 29 May 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#6 stevemc32

stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

Thanks Ian,

I'll check out Hydroboost but I don't really have a changeover unit as my one would need to be modified for use with the LJ.  Will go looking for a local brake guy first to see whether they're interested in doing the mods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users