A9X Wheel

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:56 AM

Just looking at some old photo's and have not seen this photo for a while and can't remember the whole story on these wheels?

Attached Files

#2 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

Just looking at some old photo's and have not seen this photo for a while and can't remember the whole story on these wheels?

fins sitting pronounced of the wheel rim edge
some kind of brake cooling effect
was the idea i think?

#3 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

Obviously brake cooling but I can't remember the timing when they tested this in 79. I remember the photo but not the story behind it, the manufacturer and the tests. I take it either Cams regulations or the tests didn't work out. Don't ever remember them being used in a race. Might have even been a LeMans thing? Need to dig through some old articles to find a write up. But a lot of knowledge here on the forum might have all the answers at hand? Where is RedA9X? He probably knows where, sizes, offsets, tyre pressure run, cooling ratio's and who has the rims in the photo today?

#4 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

Looks similar to the wheels run on the dunnydore taxi. Simmons?

1982atcc7.jpg

brock81-82.jpg

1982wheel.jpg

Edited by LXSS350, 14 June 2013 - 05:04 AM.

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

Bathurst 1979, qualifying only. It's just a cover on the front that goes onto the existing Jongbloed wheels. Ron Harrop made them to help extract the air from the brakes. Not used during the race because it was too hard to get the wheels off. The Commodore ones are a different later version that stayed on the wheels. They are Simmons under the VH Commodore wheels

#6 YELLAcakeu308

YELLAcakeu308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Name:ben
  • Car:A10X

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

The Commodore ones are a different later version that stayed on the wheels. They are Simmons under the VH Commodore wheels

are these wheels still around? Heard simmons went under...

#7 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Ian Tate told me that they made these, they worked but wehre too fiddly for the gains they produced.

Simmons still around

#8 YELLAcakeu308

YELLAcakeu308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Name:ben
  • Car:A10X

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

roger

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

Ian Tate may have made some, but those were made by Ron Harrop. Tate was working for Janson, not HDT at this time

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

Simmons exist, but haven't made the V5 pattern for a longggg time

#11 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Bathurst 1979, qualifying only. It's just a cover on the front that goes onto the existing Jongbloed wheels. Ron Harrop made them to help extract the air from the brakes. Not used during the race because it was too hard to get the wheels off. The Commodore ones are a different later version that stayed on the wheels. They are Simmons under the VH Commodore wheels

Thanks Red. So not a wheel design rather just A9X hub caps with internal vanes. Found it today mentioned in the Bill Tuckey and Greenhalgh book. Shows how much attention I paid at qualifying. Probably still happy Moffat had gearbox issues LOL. In the book it says that Alan Standfield designed these aluminium covers. Obviously the retaining system to wheel for these style of hubcaps was better developed by the dunnydore taxi era. Makes sense as brakes get a workout at the mountain and I do remember heat issues with some teams although no so much mhdt. The pad compound they used in 79 was much better for bathurst than they had used in 78.

Edited by LXSS350, 14 June 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#12 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

A fellow here had 6 Jongbloeds, set of 4 of those hand made alloy vanes that were fitted to wheels and a drop tank. All came from a certain car in a particular year. He has now moved back over East and taken the items with him. Needless to say he has been offered big money by a certain collector for these items. They were sold to fund the Commodores racing..............

#13 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

A fellow here had 6 Jongbloeds, set of 4 of those hand made alloy vanes that were fitted to wheels and a drop tank. All came from a certain car in a particular year. He has now moved back over East and taken the items with him. Needless to say he has been offered big money by a certain collector for these items. They were sold to fund the Commodores racing..............

Do you know how they retained the cap to the wheel?

So David has them?

#14 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

They were held on by screws from memory.    As far as I know the fellow still has them in his possession.   Absolutely beautifully made they were.   Would certainly have impeded changing wheels as they had to be removed first.

#15 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

They were held on by screws from memory.    As far as I know the fellow still has them in his possession.   Absolutely beautifully made they were.   Would certainly have impeded changing wheels as they had to be removed first.

The vanes look short and possibly only on the outer? Also looks like a hinge and flush lock on the centre to access wheel nuts? They obviously refined retention and had an open centre by the dunnydore taxi with its simmons version. I have little doubt they sucked and directed the air more efficiently. With reading it seems Cams never had an issue with the hubcaps, so it must have been the wheel change issue that shelved them from ever actually racing with them.

#16 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm happy to be wrong, but i vaguely remember when they used them at Bathurst , they had to remove them for qualifying ( maybe hardies heroes ?? ) because they were so effective in cooling that they couldn't get enough heat in the tyres for the single lapper.

#17 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

all four fitted here

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J5JkiaXGCbo

#18 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

not on for the start of the '80 race. see 3.04

Edited by A9X, 14 June 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#19 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

Thanks Red. Makes sense to use them in HH. This was nearly the first 100mph average lap. Good thing they didn't change to a blue colour scheme. I probably have missed that as well. Must have been the old vhs quality pal tv.

Edited by LXSS350, 14 June 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

not on for the start of the '80 race. see 3.04

OMG how scarey is it at the 16 minute point with that car broken down. Watch the green celica!

#21 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

all four fitted here

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J5JkiaXGCbo

sensational footage and commentary from the great man himself
thanks for posting red!
wet shoes from the pits
foot slipped off the brake
6500 in top,buffeted by the wind on conrod
1.5 seconds slower than if the track was in top condition
wow!
great shot of conrod and the undulation showing the original 2 humps
as he comes off forrest elbow onto the straight