I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

Haha I posted it online and got a lot of messages. I'm getting some of the bezels printed for some others, give me a hoy if you want to buy a set. Honestly I'm not willing to give the data away at this stage because I spent a bunch on prototypes to try and get a good result. Wouldn't mind at least recouping that.

I think you can use the bezels with or without the lenses (and push-buttons) depending on preference... if you're willing to make a very slight adjustment to your fascia panel.

Putting the tacho in the middle was my original plan, but honestly driving a car like this on the road you spend more time looking at the speedo, and that is where SpeedHut position the high beam & turn signal LED lights, so here we are.

My 911 has the tacho in the centre, and it's still great on the road. Either is okay I think.

Edited by Heath, 11 October 2020 - 03:22 PM.

#1277 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:04 AM

With the finished dash, gotta have a nicely finished steering column.

I dug out the old BBQ-202 column (black), and the UC one (red) from this hatch which I'd already shortened, made a longer intermediate shaft for, and converted to using a lower sealed bearing (see earlier in the thread at http://www.gmh-toran...hatch/?p=771562 )

2013-08-13193012.jpg
2013-08-22203009.jpg

Started stripping the GTS wheel down.

7PVXqZ0.jpg

aLnsDap.jpg

Made swiss cheese of the horn button support, fitted it with some new stainless & brass fasteners, re-zinc'd the special countersunk bolts, etc.
sr3Npex.jpg

I do slightly prefer the LX honeypot with the little stalk (of course, not as functional as the UC one) and the angled, winged, chrome ignition barrel, so I stole those bits and cleaned them thoroughly, deburred everything, added some holes, and re-painted.

HYMQ0sR.jpg

Glued some alloy TIG filler rod to the column surround/trim that had the spigot things broken off (very typical damage), and resprayed it.

DvrL53y.jpg

RINkysm.jpg

Did some weight reduction on the column support bracket and main column, in specific areas.

27BFrjK.jpg

All painted and ready to go.

WlYFE6u.jpg

Careful re-assembly.

qUtrRvz.jpg

All done.

BXlgcn6.jpg

15XwZ2j.jpg

Oooh lightweight key.

AT19991.jpg

Nutsert for the shift light post.

X72OjsT.jpg

#1278 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:29 PM

Had no idea the column surround trim is meant to have spigot locating lugs.... Good to know!

#1279 skap

skap

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Name:Skap
  • Car:Mighty VN

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:31 PM

So what Steering wheel are you gong to run?  

#1280 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:10 PM

Haha yeah they're bloody rubbish once the little fingers break off.

Re: the wheel, I like the GTS one, but I've got 350mm Monte Carlo from '91 which is the era of street car styling which has inspired this car build. It has some nice patina and I was going to try and get that re-stitched to match the car as well.

Definitely nothing ground-breaking there. Just ultra classic stuff.

#1281 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:37 AM

All that nice work and no power steering Heath. LOL.

#1282 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:38 AM

lol I've never experienced a good driver's car with power steering, so not in a rush to add it to this one. Maybe down the line if I realise I want a much faster steering ratio?

My rate of assembling things onto the car is exceptionally slow, lol. But it's good stuff.

7/8" Wilwood tandem master with offset linkage for the pedal I had zinc plated. (no power brakes either axistr:o )

441fS4V.jpg

G9gTq6A.jpg

The black looks great against the orange I think.

Vilv056.jpg

My remote reservoir for the clutch came with two different barbs... I decided I needed to add them together to get the barb to penetrate properly through the thick firewall, an oversight I made earlier.

19Ke30O.jpg

Turned to fit one another on the lathe and a quick TIG weld in the middle:

BCQYhy6.jpg

Old mate Jeff recommended the wrong 'remote reservoir adapter' years ago, so I went to fit it and it wasn't the right size for the clutch master I had.  :fool:  Fair to say the budget on this car has loosened a fair bit during 2020, so I just bought a new black side mount 'Compact' series kit instead. I'll use the other Wilwood one on the Manta or something lol.

u2tmVQh.jpg

oLVsaLS.jpg

8ALuzua.jpg

gjEyPNw.jpg

1PNLbug.jpg

Also worked out that with my new dome light being in the front overhead console... it's so far forward that the rear footwells were not going to be illumated when people were getting in and out of the car. Whooops! Should have considered that earlier. Two dome lights it is. I got my old roof support out:

QkiWdmf.jpg

Cut a shape out, folded the edges, welded the corners, added drillium.

YM3vJiT.jpg

ejFgrW1.jpg

Scary welding this in right next to my fresh paint on the roof! Was pouring water into the sunroof sump repeatedly to keep the temperature low.

V6Funjl.jpg

Ahhh... baby steps.

Edited by Heath, 13 October 2020 - 08:41 AM.

#1283 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

He hee. Drillium.         PM sent regards to bezels Heath.

#1284 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2020 - 02:27 PM

Ha ha Heath. I started out with the same attitude when I restored the red hatch. I thought I didn't need it because when I drove my hatch back in the 70s and in my late teens it wasn't too bad. But after many years of driving later technology vehicles going backwards didn't feel so good after all. Then pulling a muscle in my right arm trying to go through the local McDonalds drive through, I quickly changed my mind. However I am a bit older than you and maybe starting the pussy stage in my life. But f**k it feels good not having to struggle and man handle it. But the biggest advantage is it steers and handles so much better than the manual rack ever did.

Here is a bit of trivia for you. I had a good conversation with the owner of a racing team that purchased a kit off me some time ago. He does targa and circuit racing. He mentioned that on one of the circuits they race the car at was 2.5 seconds a lap quicker with power steering. The car has a belt driven pump which will reduce the engine power output, so in theory it should have been the same or slightly slower lap times. Only one thing it could be is because it's easier to drive and more precise. I suppose that's why all the V8 super cars have power steer.

Anyway loving your build, well done. I bet your starting to get itchy feet now you can see the finishing line is getting closer.

Cheers Lenny.

#1285 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

You don't work for this mob do you Heath?

https://www.probolt-...mm-od-pack-x10/

#1286 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:50 PM

What the hell is the go with the orange engine bay.

#1287 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 October 2020 - 05:33 PM

Not sure what to say. I don't think I can answer the question about the engine bay colour to your satisfaction. It is, make what you will of it.

You don't work for this mob do you Heath?

https://www.probolt-...mm-od-pack-x10/

lol, I do not. That actually has some merit. More importantly, I would love to use aluminium fasteners! Some modern cars are full of them. But they seem hard to come by in the general fastener world for pretty obvious reasons. Maybe I should go and raid some late model BMW's at a wrecker.

Another thing I really wanted is the classic striped headlight covers for LX's. Good luck finding a decent set though, they are well and truly NLA and I looked for some for about 4 years before throwing in the towel and figuring I'd need to start again. I bought some pretty expensive LH ones to reverse-engineer, but they're very different and really didn't get me very far. Then I started again with a front-on photo of a headlight surround that I turned into a digitised outline, then printed it on paper, adjusted it, printed it, adjusted it, etc. etc. about 20 times. Then re-drew the period logo, followed by the lines and text.

aep7YxG.jpg

Paid to have them laser cut and UV printed with red & orange details, this was done on the rear so they can be polished without damaging the print.

Z0x8EzP.jpg

Stripped some good used headlight surrounds:

upPD4W6.jpg

Made some sheetmetal alloy clips, which are much neater than the original "clamp" type clip with is external.

eArrkly.png

Painted, and used a sacrificial MDF version as a fixture to mark the holes neatly.

IV7knp0.jpg

ErsjoSp.jpg

Alloy nutserts with countersunk stainless fasteners.

dQTS26E.jpg

r1niKp7.jpg

Sweet.

Edited by Heath, 14 October 2020 - 05:37 PM.

#1288 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

I use alloy bolts for my flares but that company doesn't exist anymore so not sure where you'd get them now.

My dome head bumper bolts are alloy too but I custom made those on a lathe.
Also bonnet bump stop adjuster thingys.

I am always thinking of what fasteners i can make in alloy but only in non stressed applications.

I haven't bothered with anything under 5/16 as they are so light already.

Maybe front spoiler is another spot I can use them.

#1289 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:07 PM

Okay, so when are those headlight surround / cover combo kits gonna be available and where do I send my money!

#1290 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:10 PM

Spoilers and flares would be a great application for aluminium fasteners, wouldn't be too hard to make them in small quantities

#1291 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:22 PM

Nice work as always Heath, a build to be very proud of.
Your bonnet hinges look great! They look custom not like factory with a drillium attack

#1292 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:09 AM

Hope you forked out the extra for polycarbonate or Lexan.

Your attention to the details is once more a thing of wonder.

Cheers

Rob

#1293 Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Name:Harvey
  • Car:LJ 2 door, UC hatch

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:40 PM

I'm always amazed at how much thought and planning you put into all aspects of your build 

#1294 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:35 AM

Thanks guys.

You'd be similarly amazed by how little else there is going on over here, haha.

If anyone wants the gauge bezels or the headlight covers, I'm doing a run of each, shoot me a PM like a bunch of others already have. All Australian made of course.

I bought a cheap little stainless furniture stay for the rear floor access door thing ages ago and hadn't done anything with it.

AsOpVyA.jpg

The mount wasn't substantial enough on the timber side, so I made up a thicker, wider countersunk piece of stainless to replace it.

JZTiX7d.jpg

Recessed the pivot point into the edge of the plywood door, then added some thread inserts into the plywood. 

ZC1DxCw.jpg

On the car side, it just gets pop rivetted into the false floor of the car, so that's easy, but very frustratingly, the heads of these fasteners unfortunately hit the recessed 'jam' in the false floor, so I masked up around the area, cut into my nicely textured black paint, beat it into a recessed shape, and welded it back together. This photo is just looking at the right tub area as you stand at the back of the car with the hatch open.

6xntGs6.jpg

Bit of body filler in some little holes in the ply.

f9P8NQE.jpg

Sealed with timber lacquer which I hope will protect it.

JDL7L9k.jpg

Edited by Heath, 16 October 2020 - 08:36 AM.

#1295 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:49 AM

You know that brace just added weight! need to drill some more holes to counter balance it...

#1296 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:09 PM

I'm really surprised that plywood doesn't look like a pegboard, but I might be jumping the gun  :stirpot:

#1297 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:02 AM

lol, well put. Nah there are a lot of parts that actually have to separate one area from another (eg. firewalls, plenums, roof skins, sumps, tanks) etc. that very frustratingly don't work so well when you load them full of drillium. Haha

Ha ha Heath. I started out with the same attitude when I restored the red hatch. I thought I didn't need it because when I drove my hatch back in the 70s and in my late teens it wasn't too bad. But after many years of driving later technology vehicles going backwards didn't feel so good after all. Then pulling a muscle in my right arm trying to go through the local McDonalds drive through, I quickly changed my mind. However I am a bit older than you and maybe starting the pussy stage in my life. But f**k it feels good not having to struggle and man handle it. But the biggest advantage is it steers and handles so much better than the manual rack ever did.

Here is a bit of trivia for you. I had a good conversation with the owner of a racing team that purchased a kit off me some time ago. He does targa and circuit racing. He mentioned that on one of the circuits they race the car at was 2.5 seconds a lap quicker with power steering. The car has a belt driven pump which will reduce the engine power output, so in theory it should have been the same or slightly slower lap times. Only one thing it could be is because it's easier to drive and more precise. I suppose that's why all the V8 super cars have power steer.

Sorry, I didn't reply to this, but I need to acknowledge it because it's certainly a high quality comment. What you do with the power steering kits, I absolutely respect. But I'm extremely happy with the idea of getting this car on the road a bit raucous with all the character of a raw Aussie muscle car, and having options to calm it down later in life (I hope to own this car long enough that I change a bit over time with it)

I own one car with power steering and find it boring as frOck to drive through a twisty road course unless the wastegate is wide open and I'm near full lock. If I made this car too easy to drive, I would hate that.

That lap time improvement is impressive, I'm not totally surprised that there's something there, but it's certainly more than I'd have expected. Endurance racing and properly competitive racing with all that stuff makes sense. But it's kinda the same as using a Holden motor over an LS, or a live axle over IRS (S14 IRS in my case would have been easier, cheaper, and worked better), or even having AWD if you will, it's just personal preference for what I want the car to be - the romance of it if you will - driven by my prejudices, rather than the objective "improvements".

#1298 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:44 AM

Need to get back into doing more regular posts. Progress is slow which is pretty normal.

Masked up various areas of black chassis areas that had some scratching, overspray, etc.
N5R8Zte.jpg
Top of the dash of course. I painted this but it had been scuffed up and looked crap again.
HL23awB.jpg

Painted in the boot floor better... same deal as the dash.
pT7n6Ms.jpg

Masked up some good original tail lights and painted them in satin black:
cEXXi78.jpg
Touched up the faded red in the lense with a bit of red 'Nite Shades' aerosol I had lying around
7yHt7Zg.jpg

During lockdown I did get started on wiring this car which I haven't posted much about.
Main side loom with roof console wiring grafted in:
MJTXK03.jpg
Loomed up:
sNPUFst.jpg

Rear light harness repaired (had some mismatched connectors) and earth wiring for numberplate light on the fibreglass rear bumper:
TZCbVYx.jpg
Loomed up:
jlC0fed.jpg

Trailer harness plug-in loom with Deutsch DT connector: (PET braided sleeve and Raychem SCL)
UIkn9ZW.jpg
mk4LSaf.jpg

Cut a strip of 3mm Ally flat bar and marked out some nice holes for the top of the battery clamp:
1iHUYvH.jpg

Picked up an Odyssey PC925 AGM battery and started installing a few things in the rear.
UuloStk.jpg

Sanded the rad support back:
1iR9Gqz.jpg?1
Bit of filler where some of the uglier welds & bends were:
dTYTFFY.jpg
KBS satin black:
KrOLfXy.jpg
These areas on the back of the rad support where obscured by the rotisserie last time I went to paint them, so finished all this off too and used loads of cavity wax in the lower boxed section:
4v50PEV.jpg

Went to install my headlights and realised that in my ambitious weight-saving efforts, I totally overlooked how headlight buckets even attach to the car... cutting that big section out was a stupid mistake. But while I'm here, may as well at least try and keep some of that weight out of them lol so cut them into spokes with some clearance for the new globes
U2PEiuk.jpg
szuoyF4.jpg
qu5tsHB.jpg

Drilled a number of small holes in the underside of the top profile of the rad support, and fed small cable tyres through the holes:
EfYR5AV.jpg
iQRDOjc.jpg
OwlaC0H.jpg
P22aYLO.jpg

I re-worked the front lighting harness during lockdown with some trimmed back headlight plugs, some better earthing, extra parker circuit for corner marker lights, and Deutsch DT connectors.
UL2TnVe.jpg
BNSoJKT.jpg

Only then I realised that H4's have globes/plugs that stick out way further at the back than sealed beams. Rob called this one and I thought I was safe, earlier. Really didn't enjoy cutting into my engine bay tanks to make more clearance, but gotta do what you've gotta do. At least alloy is easy to planish into a compound curve.
Washer bottle:
Z222z34.jpg
TStgz8Y.jpg
And catch can side:
P1W6g5q.jpg
x5OuMEe.jpg
Both fixed:
4ukp636.jpg
Painted the front of the radiator black so you don't see it through the grill:
Trs6PWD.jpg
Made up a little wiring harness for the two thermo fans, which can be turned on independently of one another with the Haltech.
xnHhIpi.jpg?1
iIE6nW6.jpg

Edited by Heath, 16 November 2020 - 11:48 AM.

#1299 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:41 PM

What are you doing down the A-pillers? Are you going to try and trim them or painting them as per factory?

#1300 ReplicarSLR

ReplicarSLR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Not anymore unfortunately

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:19 PM

“Painted the front of the radiator black so you don't see it through the grill:”

Im a big fan of blacking everything out behind it (excuse the pun) likewise with painting the front of the radiator support panel black, I prefer everything behind the grill to be black behind so you don’t see anything.

Keep up the top work, loving this build.

Edited by ReplicarSLR, 16 November 2020 - 06:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users