Please help- LH LX PBR cast iron calipers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _Callen_

_Callen_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

G'day all,

I've recently started working on some PBR cast iron calipers for a LH/LX (see diagram below)

Problem is they didn't have pads on them when I got the car and I hadn't really looked into what parts should have been included with them so I am now having the following dramas:

- I'm missing several parts including Shims (No. 4), retaining clips for the slides (No. 9) and the 'Anti rattle spring/clips' (No. 12). In my ignorance I assumed that you could get major rebuild kits that includes everything but according to everyone I have asked only the minor kits with the main seal & dust boot are available now. So does anyone know of anywhere that reproduces this stuff or may sell second hands?? Or do you even need the shims and can the retaining clips be replaced with split pins for example?? Again I don't know if the anti rattle spring is essential or even where it goes but please read on below...

- Other thing is can somebody please explain to me how to mount the inboard pad (against the piston) as the DB14 brake pads for these calipers don't appear to have a built in retaining spring/clip as you get with A9X rear pads and HQ front PBR calipers (DB6 pads). Do they mount using a combination of the shims and anti rattle spring??

Any help would be appreciated for a newbie thanks!

Attached Files

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

4 , 9 , 12 are all long gone

4 isn't essential as alot of aftermarket pads have a backing shim material on them to stop vibration squeal

9 can be replaced with an R type clip or wire

12 is the tricky bit... some pad brands include this but very few and I haven't seen them for awhile

Nothing holds the inner pad in... cept maybe luck.

As you say the pad just sits there against the #12 to hold it with some tension to stop rattles.

#3 Lima31

Lima31

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Name:Lee

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

A lot of people upgrade from the stock caliper to aftermarket units, perhaps keep an eye out on Gumtree or post a wanted ad?

#4 _Callen_

_Callen_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Thanks Dattoman, I feel better about not having shims if they are not essential and R clips would be a good substitute (obvious solution which I didn't think of cheers).
Where does 12 actually go in the assembly and how does it work with the pads, ie does it clip inside the piston and over the edges of the pad??
Or am I way off how I'm picturing this?
Do you know by any chance which pad brands may include these?

Thanks for the replys everyone, I would upgrade it Lima 31 but would like to keep them original and dont really want to go HQ and have to change stud pattern or get drilled rotors.
It seems PBR is trying to push everyone to use HQ stuff but they really should produce the major kits being the OEM supplier.... Anyway if I have no luck may have to try and get a second set of calipers

#5 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

My brake shop fella used an anti rattle clip from an XF falcon or something along those lines. Can't be certain, but it fits and they don't rattle.

#6 _Callen_

_Callen_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

Cheers hanra, I'll have a google and see what I can find

Edited by Callen, 06 July 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#7 _Callen_

_Callen_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

These Ford anti rattle clips look to be suitable as they would hook into the groove in the back of the inner bracket (No. 11). Just wasn't keen on the idea of having the inner pads banging around with no support.

thoughts anyone?

Attached Files

#8 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

I have a set of genuine old Holden pads somewhere in the shed...I'll try find them and have a look at the clip if it comes with them and see if it looks familiar to something I can find readily

#9 _Callen_

_Callen_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

cheers thanks, I know its a pretty mundane thing but I'd prefer for it to "be right" rather than have the pads bashing around in there. And at least its some knowledge for others if it works out...

#10 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

I just checked an unopened nos box of pads, no clips

#11 _Callen_

_Callen_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Same, I got some old stock today from Sunbury Brakes, no clips either. Might bite the bullet and get some ford ones and try those unless anyone knows of a better alternative

#12 _71lc_1JZ_

_71lc_1JZ_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:01 AM

not sure if you still working on them but here is some parts

http://www.ebay.com....sd=271518687592

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users