Best caliper for torana stubs and turned down HQ discs

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Currently tossing up which route to go with my HQ brake upgrade and stud pattern change.

What is the best and easiest caliper to use when keeping the torana stub axles and adding HQ discs that have had the 6mm taken off the diameter. I dont want to go with a hopper kit and to a lot of trouble in changing the brakes. I am happy just to do a stud pattern change but if its only gonna cost a few hundered dollars extra I might as well look at this option.

I know what area of the stub axles have to be ground however I dont really want to be grinding a caliper as well if I can get a caliper that doesn't need grinding.

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Why would the stub axles need grinding and why would you change the stud pattern.

Me thinks you need to read all the stickys closer.

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

The area in pink needs to be ground flat on the LX stub axle for some of the HQ style calipers to sit flat. The range of rims available in Torana pattern is extremely limited compared to HQ.

LX_stub_grind.jpg

This caliper bolts up without any clearance issues or grinding but it is not the best HQ style caliper. The question is which other HQ style calipers are sutiable for the conversion?

IMGP0311.jpg

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 01 August 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#4 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Why would the stub axles need grinding and why would you change the stud pattern.

Me thinks you need to read all the stickys closer.

Well me thinks wrong. As stated above I am changing the pattern due to Weld draglites not coming in Torana pattern. Brakes would be a bonus for not much extra. Hoppers are too expensive and dont want to go to the trouble of changing steering arms and the like. Easiest option for someone who hasnt got a lot of experience pulling down front ends is turn down a set of new HQ discs and get a set of calipers that won't foul anything or at least need minimal grinding.

Edited by Gonedeaf, 01 August 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#5 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Your easiest solution is to use the long slides off the HX calipers on your original alloy Torana calipers. No grinding of anything and despite the way people slag them the do a more than adequate job for a gentle streeter. I had this setup on the front of my LX for the last 15 years without drama.
I still think a complete HQ style swap would be the go for you. I didn't bother using the Harrop arms and it drives fine for my needs.
Where abouts in vic are you?

#6 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

Cheers Rexy for some productive comments. I have LH calipers, correct me if I am wrong but I think they're cast but I am not sure if they're the same as the LX ones. Can you take a look at this thread and point me in the right direction of the HX slides your talking about bearing in mind my calipers are original LH.

http://www.gmh-toran...rviki-calipers/

I am in the Werribee area.

#7 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

You can't use your LH caliper

And those LX ones are poo anyway

If I was doing it... and as long as they fit... I would use the cast iron PBR calipers from a HQ

IMG_1166.jpg

#8 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

If I was doing it... and as long as they fit... I would use the cast iron PBR calipers from a HQ

IMG_1166.jpg

Will they need any grinding Datto?

#9 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Never done it

Don't have one here to try

Over to you

#10 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Never done it

Don't have one here to try

Over to you

Thanks anyway mate. I am sure some people have put these calipers on with the torana stubs. These certainly look to be my best bet, might have to just wing it.

#11 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

I just got a set of these HQ type calipers as in the pics I will try and test fit them over the weekend if I get time

#12 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

Thanks Kev. If you interested in selling them give me a yell.

#13 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

Will they need any grinding Datto?

Although the pic posted by l2slxhatch above compares full sized Holden and Torana stubs, the HQ-WB and LH-UC ranges had both of the different styles of caliper clearancing at different times depending on which calipers they were fitted with.

The HQ calipers suggested require more clearance as on the left (note for those converting from one to the other, it doesn't need to be machined all the way as the locating faces are only around the mounting bolts). However if you had the earlier style Torana calipers they require the same clearance so your stubs should be already be machined like that and be ready to go.

Disclaimer: that's making a few assumptions and anything could have changed in 38 years. However if your stubs have the maximum clearance as per the left of that photo any factory caliper will bolt on without grinding.

#14 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

Sorry Gonedeaf.....I just brought the calipers of E-bay

I plan to use them on my car

check on E-bay you can pick them up for less than $100

#15 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

Your easiest solution is to use the long slides off the HX calipers on your original alloy Torana calipers. No grinding of anything and despite the way people slag them the do a more than adequate job for a gentle streeter. I had this setup on the front of my LX for the last 15 years without drama.

This is the only conversion I would contemplate if only wanting a simple upgrade.

#16 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

You will also need to work out brake lines with HQ calipers as the holes are facing in toward the centre of the wheel rather than on the outside edge on Toranas. Using the suggested one ^ your Torana hoses will still hook up.

#17 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

The alloy PBR Torana calipers are the ones you want. I have them fitted standard to my UC. Not sure what the other toranas use. Then you take the slides off the alloy PBR calipers fitted to the HX and some HZs. I have a spare set if you can't find any.

Then your hoses are right, as Toranamat69 said.

An alternative to HQ pattern, if you don't have the wheels yet and you can order any offset you want you is to use early Commodore rotors, which are the right diameter already, and then get some rear Commodore drums, which are the right size also, so you only need to change the stud pattern on the back axles to Commodore and the drums will go straight on.

This is what I am doing. Then you just need to get your wheels in a Torana offset or similar, rather than Commodore, to clear the front steering arms etc.

Edited by GTR - U9X, 02 August 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#18 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

The alloy PBR Torana calipers are the ones you want.

Sure for ease of installation but...

those LX ones are poo

this is also true

#19 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Yeah I really don't know as I have only driven my UC up the road for a test run when I bought it.

But I've had the PBR alloys on my  HJ panel van and my HZ sedan and I thought they were fine, even coming down the ranges west of Cairns giving it a bit  through the windy bits I never had a problem. You could definitely feel the weight difference when I put them on the HJ. And the two piece construction makes pad changing easy.

#20 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

Your easiest solution is to use the long slides off the HX calipers on your original alloy Torana calipers.

Rexy are you saying the LH's had alloy torana calipers? Mine is a 1/75 but I guess the calipers could have been changed over time. I might take a couple of pics on the weekend and post them just to be sure what type of calipers I have.

IMG_1166.jpg

Definately dont want to use pooh calipers as it defeats the purpose of the upgrade. Cant use the LH caliper, why is that, alignment issues with the disk?

You will also need to work out brake lines with HQ calipers as the holes are facing in toward the centre of the wheel rather than on the outside edge on Toranas. Using the suggested one ^ your Torana hoses will still hook up.

If I cant use my existing calipers with the HX slides then I guess I will have to go the pbr hq caliper option. Hoses are just another hurdle, this is why I didnt want to go any options that were too much hassle, before you know it, it would have been easier to just buy a hoppers stoppers kit.

#21 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

UC calipers should be cheap and easy to find. And if you're not going circuit racing I'm sure they're more than adequate with a vented disc..If you go the HQ ones you need to factor in new hoses too.

If you want cheap and easy this is the way to go.

#22 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:43 PM

UC calipers should be cheap and easy to find. And if you're not going circuit racing I'm sure they're more than adequate with a vented disc..If you go the HQ ones you need to factor in new hoses too.

If you want cheap and easy this is the way to go.

Havent seen UC calipers yet, will they bolt straight on and do they require grinding and are they better than the LH calipers? No circuit racing for me at this stage, haven't ruled out the 1/4 mile yet though, engine is built to run down the 1/4.

#23 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

A picture of your current calipers is an excellent idea. Almost anything could have been swapped onto it.

#24 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

A picture of your current calipers is an excellent idea. Almost anything could have been swapped onto it.

Pm sent to you earlier Rexy.

#25 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

I don't know if anyone else can see the images in the Torviki thread linked above, for me they just show up as "Posted Image" text. However the images are still there, click on them and you can see them in Photobucket (twice...). I'll have a go at re-posting below and see if they show up.

The cast iron LH / early LX calipers are a reasonable caliper but they are fixed in width so you can't use them on the thicker vented rotors.

IMG_1171.jpg

The late LX / early UC calipers are the bolt together two piece aluminium with cast iron carrier, these are the horrible calipers. HX and early HZ had the same style caliper with a few minor differences in the main body as mentioned, and a wider bolt-on carrier to suit the thicker vented disc. This is the easy changeover option, but I can attest to their poor performance compared to others as datto so eloquently put it.

IMG_1165.jpg

(you can see the 'Torana' on the pad carrier piece, full sized ones say 'Holden')

The late UC aluminium ones are similar to the late HZ and WB and I don't think too bad a caliper but again fixed in width so can't run the thicker vented disc.

IMG_1172.jpg

The cast iron HQ calipers datto recommended are a bit heavier but they're quite ridgid so they perform well and relatively small packaging helps with clearance too.

IMG_1166.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users