rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

By the way I have the same set up as in the pic above in the hatch but using HX tonner stubs and standard ventilated HQ discs. Original LX bolts holding the calipers to the stub. Nothing touches anywhere. 3 inch lowered springs. Standard LX upper and lower arms.

Edited by rexy, 28 August 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#27 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

They do if you don't have the A9X bumpstop mod done - I know because that is what my car has.

#28 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

As I am sure Datto is sick of saying, easy to fit is the only the only thing these hybrid PBR calipers are.  I would do whatever possible to use a better caliper - modifying brake lines or whatever.

Terminology thing - the bit that you use off the HX is the pad holder, not the slidy thing (Yes I called it that before as well - just getting into the spirit).

Chances are the alloy bores that these calipers slide on will be worn and they with clunk when you go from braking in the forward direction to braking in reverse as you back out the driveway even if you put new pins in when you rebuild them.

I would say the HQ PBR cast iron calipers would fit with the Torana stubs and turned down discs but I have not actually verified.  You would have to do a brakeline mod though - Datto also approves these calipers :-).

#29 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

:clappin:

http://www.gmh-toran...rviki-calipers/

#30 _darkside_

_darkside_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

if you bothered to read the post properly you would have noticed that mr live n breath holdens actually agreed with the above pic with uc callipers ,unfortunatly i cant post the pics of the uc callipers that we were looking at ,i was going off the pics from another post where there were several pics showing differant callipers.the uc ones that i were looking at must be the earlier type ,sort of longer ,thinner hole in top almost a fin design on top,they were the ones he was refering to that couldnt be adjusted with other sliders ,anyway after realising yur all saying that these other uc are poo i have found a bloke that has done wb stub axles and put nissan brakes on them ,says they work a treat,who would have thought that the good ol ricer waz good for more than the odd bonfire ...joking....doc

The ones in Gonedeafs post are LX/ early UC calipers.  Late UC were different.  So Mr live and breathe holdens for 40 years has still a thing or 2 to learn.  I can show you pics of original LX RTS and UC front ends with those calipers as they are in my shed.  The UC ones are still on the UC hatchback.

#31 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

I did read your post properly and I did pickup that he does that mod to the calipers but if he didn't know those came out on UC's then yes he did have something to learn.  Good to see you have taken a differnt path - all is good in the world :D

#32 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

As I am sure Datto is sick of saying, easy to fit is the only the only thing these hybrid PBR calipers are. I would do whatever possible to use a better caliper - modifying brake lines or whatever.

Terminology thing - the bit that you use off the HX is the pad holder, not the slidy thing (Yes I called it that before as well - just getting into the spirit).

Chances are the alloy bores that these calipers slide on will be worn and they with clunk when you go from braking in the forward direction to braking in reverse as you back out the driveway even if you put new pins in when you rebuild them.

I would say the HQ PBR cast iron calipers would fit with the Torana stubs and turned down discs but I have not actually verified. You would have to do a brakeline mod though - Datto also approves these calipers :-).

I agree HQ PBR are the most reliable, just need to modify as per L34 with it machined for top hose entry and a plug put in the old hose hole. I have some L34 calipers here somewhere and will take a photo if I can find them.

The UC ones work well if they are in good cond, i've never had stuffed ones but that was 15+ years ago.

#33 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

HQ caliper in situ

SSL12747.jpg

L34 caliper in situ

SSM12940.jpg

Late LX- Early UC with HX pad cradle

brake+upgrade2.JPGIMGP0311.jpg

#34 _darkside_

_darkside_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

cheers guys ,i will be looking at selling the ford 9" thats been converted to torana stud pattern with ventilated discs and some type of  gm callipers,3:7 gears all new clutch packs and wheel bearings,will be putting in a independant rear suspension .thanks for the calliper pics ,very helpful only wish i could post ones to clear up the confusion..doc

#35 Westside Performance

Westside Performance

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Car:Hatch

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:27 PM

Has anyone got any of these HX HX HOLDEN Pad Carriers. I'm actually desperate to get a hold of some. I will also buy the whole HX PBR brake to get hold of it

image_zps6dab2c0c.jpg

#36 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:39 PM

How desperate??
https://www.ebay.com...dEAAOSwnipWV7A1

#37 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:47 PM

Dont be that desperate

#38 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:56 PM

If they are the ones I’m thinking of I wouldn’t use them. Worst caliper fitted to a Holden there is. The sliders bind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#39 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,072 posts

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:07 PM

In good condition they are fine, just need maintenance like any other part. I ran them on my LX for years. Sure there are better calipers but those are easy to fit and easy to rebuild.

#40 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:56 PM

I have two complete calipers had new pistons and kits ten years ago. Also have a set of rotors with commodore 120 PCD stud pattern. Covid free. If you need them let me know and a will dig them out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users