DIY tools

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#26 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

I have a similar spanner to that, its not just your explained predicament...Even my old filth powered ski boat i couldnt get to the dizzy nut. 

$1 spanner out of the bin from bunnings, bend the open end 90, I also bent the other end 90 as well for some leverage. 

Boat is long gone, spanner is still in the toolbox for one day...

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 23 April 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#27 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:28 PM

Hey Mick That lot looks exactly same as mine even down to those die grinder bits being chewed a little around spline from being in a drill chuck, They also don't work quite as good due to lack of rpm's, But still get the job done when the air compressor wont feed a die grinder or such...... Here's a couple of recent tools I knocked up 1 is rear calliper piston adjusting tool, & other being good ole spring compressor...

Attached Files

• Attached File  6x.JPG   248.13K   18 downloads

#28 _miki76lx_

_miki76lx_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

I have a similar spanner to that, its not just your explained predicament...Even my old filth powered ski boat i couldnt get to the dizzy nut. 

$1 spanner out of the bin from bunnings, bend the open end 90, I also bent the other end 90 as well for some leverage. 

Boat is long gone, spanner is still in the toolbox for one day...

Cheers. 

I bet that spanner brings back memories every time you go look for a tool in your box.

#29 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

Yes, memories of my breif transgression to the dark side. 

My shiny, new, godlike, 202 powered ski boat requires no such spanner :P

Edited by Bomber Watson, 23 April 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#30 XUI-86

XUI-86

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:LC XU1

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Here's the handy tool I made to remove the pins from my LC door hinges, also works on VN and up Dunnydore type hinge pins as well.

Made from using a lc/j steering thingy with the hole slotted out and a big long bolt.

Attached Files

#31 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

So how do you use that?

Put the steering knuckle thingy under the head of the pin with bolt head facing towards the ground and then hit up?

How good are they that they incorporate tools within the build of the car!!!

#32 _miki76lx_

_miki76lx_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

A couple of Diy,s or improvizing. I found it hard years ago to adjust the drum brakes on my early holden with a screw driver.I came across my push bike tyre remover in my tool box and thought this might work gave it a try and Presto it works excellent also a paint tin opener from Bunnings works great as well.

.WP_20140424_006.jpgWP_20140424_001.jpg

Edited by miki76lx, 24 April 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#33 _miki76lx_

_miki76lx_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

This is part of my home built rottiserie. Its and old brake drum with holes drilled in it.The holes are drilled at all the positions i need to work on the car i have used a high tensile drill bit shaft as the pin so it can not sheer

the pin easy its crude but it works. And the rotisserie was the best thing i ever built.

l.WP_20140424_007.jpg

Edited by miki76lx, 24 April 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#34 _miki76lx_

_miki76lx_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Yes, memories of my breif transgression to the dark side. 

My shiny, new, godlike, 202 powered ski boat requires no such spanner :P

The problem is the 202 is missing a couple of cylinders and slugs. :stirpot:

#35 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

Great little tool Wot but you'd have to have plenty of faith in your welding skills.

What have you got in the plug holes?

Just busted off sparkplugs. I snapped them off so I could wirebrush the block before I painted it to keep junk out of the bores.

#36 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:14 AM

Good idea!

Does that count as another set of tools you've made?

#37 XUI-86

XUI-86

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:LC XU1

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

So how do you use that?

Put the steering knuckle thingy under the head of the pin with bolt head facing towards the ground and then hit up?

How good are they that they incorporate tools within the build of the car!!!

You've hit it on the head Graig, and for the top hinge put thingy on the same part of the pin but with bolt head facing the sky and hit down. Now your fully qualified.

#38 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Should have put a picture up the first time round..but didn't so they all get thrown in together.

From the top..cam bearing  remove/fit tool..the bit on the right spigots into the tunnel at front of engine and is a guide.

Next one is the on engine valve spring replacer and modified spark plug and bits to take an air line,rough as guts but it works.

Next one is rear ext.housing bush drift for m76 trans.

next one,just a spigot bush drift for the holden 6

The rusty looking contraption with the teeth is a piece of old ring gear with a hole drilled in it,this would be the best hillbilly tool

i have ever made,used for locking the flywheel/ring gear to undo them retaining bolts on pressure plates and flywheels,it fits over

the dowel in the block and once it has a bit of weight on it,it don't move,used for tightening the bolts as well

It could do with a bush where hole is and maybe some sort of reversable handle with a hole in it to line up with one of the holes in the

block to take a bolt,but that is technical.

The thing to the right is a jig used to bore out starfire crankpins...cant believe i included that!

#39 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

After being prompted by Potta I herby release the patent on my wiper switch nut tool for LJ.

Using an old tube spanner or piece of metal tube that fits. Mark out a 2mm square raised section on opposite sides. Cut out the other section with hacksaw to leave something that looks similar to my picture. File off rough edges and test, adjust where necessary.

tu4e6ube.jpg

Too easy.

Marty

Edited by sibhs, 31 July 2014 - 09:17 PM.

#40 dublinxu1

dublinxu1

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Car:73 Dublin Green XU-1

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

After being prompted by Potta I herby release the patent on my wiper switch nut tool for LJ.

Using an old tube spanner or piece of metal tube that fits. Mark out a 2mm square raised section on opposite sides. Cut out the other section with hacksaw to leave something that looks similar to my picture. File off rough edges and test, adjust where necessary.

tu4e6ube.jpg

Too easy.

Marty

Sorry Marty, that patent is long gone

2a099d84-7b42-4093-ab52-945c14fa4b3b_zps

here is a tool I made like the one in the manual for installing Rares LJ rear spring insulators

b64daff4-65c5-4531-80c3-ffc3a0a40958_zps

#41 _flyingbrick_

_flyingbrick_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

I once went shopping and locked my keys inside the shit corolla I had at the time

I bought a pair of scissors, opened the blade 90 degrees so they formed a + then inserted one tip into the lock and used the other blade/grip as leverage to break the lock open.

#42 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

I got locked out of my hilux once. Went in to the shop and bought a new battery for the remote haha. Worst $20 i'd ever been ripped off.

Andrew that spring compressor is nice. Like mine. Is that tape to stop the all thread from twisting out of it's joint?
IMG_2962_zpsf242e4cf.jpg
Machined bottom to accept a bearing which made turning much easier. Still a long and painful proccess. And it chipped my powdercoat :(
IMG_2967_zps54e09fd6.jpg

Edited by judgelj, 08 September 2014 - 10:11 PM.

#43 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:09 PM

This is nothing new but I've just used it for the first time today and its magic - pressure brake bleeder made from a $10 weed sprayer and some bits and pieces I had laying around

IMAG0667.jpg

#44 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

You bleeding the MC?

#45 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

Does the whole system

#46 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

can you show the cap you have made for this?

would like to know a bit more on this.

Cheers

#47 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:51 PM

+ 2 on the lid set up for the brake bleeder.

Looks like you have a gauge fitted to the sprayer?

#48 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:17 AM

The lid is just a flat piece of steel with a hole in it for the hose barb fitting, and a flat piece of rubber for a seal. As I said nothing new, although most of the examples on the web are for Jap or European cars that have a screw on reservoir top, they just buy a new cap and put a fitting in it.

The gauge is just to make sure I don't go too high with the pressure, its just off an old tyre inflator.

Works basically the same as the commercial ones I believe. Pump it up to 10psi with air only and hold for a few minutes to check for leaks first. Then move on to bleeding, put fluid in the sprayer bottle and pump it up again, bleed each corner as normal (except no need to muck around pumping the pedal, just crack it once until all the bubbles are gone!). When finished the master cylinder is full to the brim so need to carefully remove the lid and suck some out.

#49 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

This is nothing new but I've just used it for the first time today and its magic - pressure brake bleeder made from a $10 weed sprayer and some bits and pieces I had laying around

IMAG0667.jpg

You've been looking in my shed window, have much the same setup, without the gauge, certainly makes bleeding the brakes easier than waiting till you have an off sider available.

#50 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

Yeah definitely not an idea I can take credit for but I wish I'd copied it sooner! Easier and more effective than bleeding by pumping the pedal regardless of whether you have an assistant, plus with the gauge you can test the system for leaks before even starting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users