a9x bathurst spec cam

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _azureblueslr_

_azureblueslr_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:04 PM

hi fellas is there any engine gurus out there that can tell me the specs on the cams they used to run in the a9x's at bathurst i heard they used to make around 250-280 kilowatts with mildly massaged heads and they never had to run them past about 6800 rpm sounds like a nice cam for a weekend warrior like my slr 5000 any help would be much appreciated cheers

#2 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

Do a search, this exact topic was covered a couple of weeks ago.

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

Personally I'd not bother, find a modern grind that suits your needs today. I'm sure there has been a hell of a lot of development in 30 years. There are really useful questionaire's (some online) that will identify a Cam that will suit your needs, although still pays to look at the Cams either side of the ones the selector chooses in the catalogues to just fine tune the selection. I did mine this way, along with heaps of mate's opinions, and pretty happy with the result.

It's the brains of the engine, you can't afford to get it wrong.

In their day it would have been measured in HP (I'd imagine) and even then it isn't directly comparable to today's figures, as it was measured differently. Dr. Terry can give you the names and differences in the measurement systems. EDIT: Or even Struggler for that matter.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 02 July 2006 - 09:27 PM.

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:13 AM

im with yella on this one, those cams will be way out dated with modern technology, so get a few cam grinder's reccomendations and go from there, and make sure you answer the q's honestly.

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:24 PM

The other practical consideration is that race cams generally have an operating range of 4,500RPM to 7,500+RPM which isn't to practical for a road car. There are all the clutch/brake upgrades to consider from there on in. Basically, you need to decide if it is going to be a road car or a race car. Can't have both in the one car I'm afraid.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 July 2006 - 01:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users