From 4 to 6 cylinder engine conversion on a 2 door lc/lj Torana

4 cylinders 6 cylinders engine conversion lc lj Torana rebuild restoration 2 door

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 _Sips Torana_

_Sips Torana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here, my names Sips. I just have a few questions bout my Torana. I have a 4 cylinder lj torana 2 door 1300 manual. and I want to put a 202 complete motor n tranny from a HQ panel van, now I know I have to do some mods but I don't know where to start or how much I have to modify. firstly will the 202 fit in the engine bay? Will I have to do some upgrading to brakes, diff, or etc.? Do I need an engineers certificate? My mates say Ljs came out with a 202 and doesn't need one but I'm just double checking. I'd appreciate all the help cos I want to get this Tori on the road cos its been sitting the garage for 5 years collecting dust. cheers

Sips.

#2 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

Some serious firewall mods to get the 6 in a 4 cylinder space, Hence the reason behind Holden lengthening the nose to make room... If you do get the red motor in there then yes brakes, gearbox & diff will all need to be swapped out from a 6 cylinder or better...... Best to contact an engineer, But these days any mod not factory basically requires to be certified......

#3 _Sips Torana_

_Sips Torana_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

Cheers Andrew appreciate it. I guess Id have to do some mods, my mate said I can put a thermo fan or electric radiator to make a bit of room for the 202, is that possible? I know its gonna be a long project but its either that or rebuild the 4 cylinder and get it on the road with no mods and no upgrades.!!

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,536 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Might be easier to fit a 3.8 V6 in the 4cyl LJ rather than a 202.

http://www.gmh-toran...-v6-in-4cyl-lj/

Edited by S pack, 20 September 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

Or an SR20

Wouldn't bother with a 202 myself

If you want a 6 cyl Torana sell yours and buy one would be the easiest way

#6 _Sips Torana_

_Sips Torana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback fellas, i got some thinkin to do on what i should do. im on a tight budget at the moment so im lookin at a cheap way to get it on the road. A mate seggested to just keep it original for now, get the 4 cylinder goin right and get it on the road, and when i save up enough money start lookin at converting. But im thinkin wether the 4 cyl is fast enough? Im not gonna drag or anythin but boys will be boys we have a heavy foot sometimes on the lights... you know what i mean.. Is there any way i can make a 4 cyl faster?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders, engine, conversion, lc, lj, Torana, rebuild, restoration, 2 door

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users