Prices for Sandblast and prime?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _Gilpy01_

_Gilpy01_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hey Guys just a quick question, Look at starting my LX torrie and i was just wondering a average cost to sandblast and prime with red oxy a shell/ bonnet /boot/ qauters?

Cheers

:buttrock:

#2 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Not really a matter of cost. Its who are you going to get to do it that won't ruin your car. Personally I would only sandblast inside edges of doors and aperture areas. Maybe soda for the rest, but check into soda fully, I have heard some bad reports but personally have had no issues.

Should have also mentioned don't waste your time with red oxide primer. Go for a two pak epoxy etch primer.

#3 _Gilpy01_

_Gilpy01_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Thanks Dave, I have a mate that has restored a few cars now and has put me onto this guy that sandblasts , he said he is very careful and good at what he does.. so im gonna take his work on it. cool and 2 pak epoxy primer . any ball park figures of prices ??

#4 _76lxJAS_

_76lxJAS_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

If it is true sand dont go near it. Sand has salt in it. Salt= rust. It ends up stuck in seems and places you can not get to. Have it garnet or soda blasted (only) in my opinion.
Also there are good and bad ppl to
go to. If done wrong they will heat up the panel and warp it.
12years ago I payed $350 fro the whole car to be garnet blasted. Prime was the price of paint. Yes 2pak is best. And a booth is not needed if your shed is over 20 degrees. . I done all my own painting.
Hope this helps.

#5 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:54 PM

mine was done with lime.

Also helps paint stick better from what im told.

Real rusty bits had the sand.

No idea were you got the sand = salt = rust from. The guy who did mine turned the sand feed off and blew the crap out of everything with air anyways.

Also depending on whats happening only get it lightly undercoated, most of the time your stripping it back anyways.

#6 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

I think when most people say sandblasting they actually mean garnet, you would never do a car with sand the angles on the grains of sand are way too wrong to remove paint etc effectively. As for price whole car Inc shell inside and out plus engine bay, boot area plus all swinging bits I would estimate around $1500 upwards.

#7 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

I got a quote for my lj 4 door about 18 months ago.Totally stripped bare shell was $2500 with 2pak primer.

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

This has been covered to death.

But anyway, Garnet blast engine bay, door jams, sills, floor pan, inside boot, pillars, etc. A competent blaster will tell you where he will and wont do. 

Remove the paint from the big panels with a sander, preferably before delivery to the blaster if you want them to prime it.

Use a 2k epoxy primer.

Budget $1500-2k for the whole job if you strip the big panels. 

I have done 2x LJ Toranas and 1x Datsun ute so far for mates at work, havnt warped anything yet just doing the strong sections. 

Cheers.

#9 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Name:Kirk
  • Car:LX SS 253

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

paint stripper and a wire brush for a drill around $100 cheap as chips

Edited by Kirk, 21 September 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

And in general good for frOck all. Not bad for a few spots, but not for a whole car.

To successfully strip prep and prime a full shell, everywhere, you need about 3k to set up with the gear.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users