Help educate me on A9X, SLR5000, L34 Exterior!

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:49 PM

Strapless number too..............

#77 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:15 AM

post-45835-0-32247100-1380803031.jpg
so is this just an SLR5000 due to there being no black lines?

No.  The chrome trim around the side windows is LX and non-5000; LX SL/R's have this trim with window blackouts inside the trim perimeter and black door sills. 5000's will have black door sills and decal across doors.

The stickers on the fenders are LH. The grille badge and TORANA badges on front apron are LX.

At best it's an LX SL/R that's been painted green all over with added flares and LH stickers; it would've came out with bumper rubbers and over-riders. It doesn't have a black interior so it may not even be an SL/R if seats are original colour.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 23 October 2015 - 06:19 AM.

#78 77lx308

77lx308

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Car:77 lx 308

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

Question on the painting of the door sills SLR5000 black out (or silver)

When adding flares........are the flares supposed to have the black outs marked on them (bottom 1/3 of flare) or are they supposed to go over the black outs in original paint colour.

Some I have seen seem to be "dipped" in black - whereas others seem to have the black up to the bumpers and the flares with no black out at all.

Obviously personal taste now but am assuming it was just when the flares were added and how enthusiastic the painter was?

#79 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

Question on the painting of the door sills SLR5000 black out (or silver)

When adding flares........

SL/R 5000's didn't come with flares so you can paint them however you like as there is no 'original look' with flares. Both LH 5000's and LX 5000's had black sills.

The A9X & L34 had body colour sills & flares.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 13 August 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#80 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:41 PM

Personally, I think that "dipped" is the way to go. 

This one looks unfinished if you ask me.

Attached File  lx-ss-04.jpg   216.81K   10 downloads

Whereas this one looks more factory.

Attached File  haslewood_lance_torana_slr_014.jpg   48.34K   8 downloads

Although, if you don't paint the blackouts at the front and back it looks OK.

Attached File  1254815798_torana01.jpg   152.36K   10 downloads

#81 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:01 PM

Yeah, in my opinion, whichever way you go, the front spoiler has to match where the flare joins like in the bottom 2 pics but hey, it's your car.

If I were to add flares then I'd do an L34 or A9X tribute with body coloured lower sill. To me, 5000's with black sills and flares don't look right either way but I'm not saying they don't look good, just not 'factory'.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 14 August 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#82 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:50 AM

Is there any difference in size between an SLR5000 bonnet scoop and an A9X scoop?

#83 Torananut

Torananut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:L34 x 2, hatch x 4, UC sedan x 2, LC XU1
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:41 AM

SL/R 5000's didn't have bonnet scoops, only A9X's came with them.

#84 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:18 AM

^ Yep.

I remember fibreglass shops were selling what they called the A7X scoop. Of course Holden didn't ever release an A7X or a scoop for one, lol. It had the same perimeter as the A9X scoop but with a lower profile, so you could replace your A9X scoop with it and have better vision over the bonnet. My best guess is they shaved an inch or two from the height and hence called it a lower number (7 instead of 9) so named it the A7X scoop to give it some pizzazz.

Most of these shops are long gone, so if you see a lower profile A9X style scoop, it was an aftermarket scoop, not ever a Holden option.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 19 August 2016 - 07:23 AM.

#85 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

car2.JPG

greenwich2.jpg

^ The A7X scoop on a Stato'

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 19 August 2016 - 02:03 PM.

#86 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:32 PM

Isn't there a scoop available that is smaller than the A9X scoop?

http://www.ebay.com....=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Edited by LHSL308, 19 August 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#87 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

Isn't there a scoop available that is smaller than the A9X scoop?

There's plenty available, the A7X above, Mustangs, Corvettes, Ford Cobra, etc. all had smaller ones .... but they're not a GM-H factory option.

s

#88 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

^ Yep.

I remember fibreglass shops were selling what they called the A7X scoop. Of course Holden didn't ever release an A7X or a scoop for one, lol. It had the same perimeter as the A9X scoop but with a lower profile, so you could replace your A9X scoop with it and have better vision over the bonnet. My best guess is they shaved an inch or two from the height and hence called it a lower number (7 instead of 9) so named it the A7X scoop to give it some pizzazz.

Most of these shops are long gone, so if you see a lower profile A9X style scoop, it was an aftermarket scoop, not ever a Holden option.

if you have not driven an original A9X and looked out over the bonnet

then there reallyis no way to describe to you what it,s like

that bonnet scoop and the hole in the bonnet 

fitted with a well designed carburetor shroud

so as to enhance the cold induction from the windscreen pressure

and added horsepower above 60 mph and the induction noise is impressive to say the least!

#89 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

that bonnet scoop and the hole in the bonnet fitted with a well designed carburetor shroud

Yeah, if you have a scoop with a hole in the bonnet, it pays to fit a cold air box around the carb.  Apparently if you don't, you have hot air pushing up from the radiator battling with cold air coming in from the scoop and you end up with warm air stagnating around the engine, some say it's better to have no hole, than a hole with no cold air box, then the radiator fan can push the air out uniformly. 

I'd be keen to see the test results with temp gauges around the engine bay for both scenarios.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 20 August 2016 - 09:09 AM.

#90 _Potsie_

_Potsie_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

Hi guys. I'd love some feedback on my situation.

I have a 77 LX SL sedan that I am converting into a SLR5000 A9X tribute. The current and original colour is jasmine yellow (as per image below) which I'm not a big fan of (but I know many are). My ideal colour would be Chevy orange which is slightly deeper and intense than the factory orange. If the current paint was in better condition I could avoid painting the insides of the doors etc but the existing acrylic paint isn't in good enough condition for this. I'm planning on painting the SLR5000 on the sides and blacking out the front and rear skirts.

How do you think changing the colour will affect resale of the car? I've been told that keeping the car it's original colour will help resale. Any recommendations from people who know Toranas well would be appreciated.

Kim_A9X-Torana.jpg

Edited by Potsie, 09 October 2017 - 10:48 AM.

#91 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

Considering its an SL, chopping it up and fitting flares, fitting a drop tank, wide hotwires and painting it in a non-original colour will pull good money and will allow a quick sale. Go for it. 

#92 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

I have a 77 LX SL sedan that I am converting into a SLR5000 A9X tribute.

SLR 5000 or A9X?

There is a difference and if you want to create a clone and you're really worried about resale value you want to get the details right. If it's just a tribute, it can be a mish-mash of both.

I'm planning on painting the SLR5000 on the sides and blacking out the front and rear skirts.

That would be an SLR 5000 and if you want top resale dollar, no flares or bonnet scoop for an SLR 5000 replica, it's easier for the next owner to add them than to remove and restore the cut panels and bolt holes. A9X had the flares and bonnet scoop, no side blackouts and body coloured rocker panels.

How do you think changing the colour will affect resale of the car?

It would only really affect the resale value if you were going to restore it to LX SL factory spec.

If you're going to do a 5000 replica make sure it comes in the popular factory 5000 colours so it appeals to the most people. If you want to build a replica or clone you have to get the fine details right for top dollar.

If it's a tribute, go for whatever colour you like.

Resale value comes down to who's buying at the time, whether the market is heavy with guys that want a factory or a modded car and you can't predict what that'll be like when you sell. Toranas are hot right now so if you do a good job you're not going to kill the sale value with mild mods.

I recommend building the car you want to enjoy and be seen driving; let the next guy worry about restoring or modifying it further.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 09 October 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#93 _Potsie_

_Potsie_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:41 AM

Considering its an SL, chopping it up and fitting flares, fitting a drop tank, wide hotwires and painting it in a non-original colour will pull good money and will allow a quick sale. Go for it. 

Thanks guys. That was my thought too. Had it been a genuine SLR it would be different.

I think I'll go for the colour I personally think looks the best in that case. I know it's not authentic but I love the SLR5000 signage and the blacking out on the A9X so I think I'll stick with that. I'm planning on driving it and hanging onto it for some time so making it a 100% accurate tribute isn't imperative. 

Edited by Potsie, 09 October 2017 - 11:55 AM.

#94 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

Id say you will find that 98% of the population wouldnt know the difference in the markings etc mate. Its that same percentage that believe that all V8 Torana's came out standard with flares and drop tanks. 

Good cars dont last long, so I think your onto a winner. 

#95 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

If you like chevy Orange, which was an engine colour code, they used Hugger Orange as their hero colour, A9X's best colour in my opinion was Valencia, but I love orange, and it is close to hugger orange. Give that a try?

#96 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...colour-show-us/

http://www.gmh-toran...pics-in-orange/

http://www.gmh-toran...ange-and-black/

s

#97 SS hatch

SS hatch

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:47 PM

Been away long time sorry I grew up with these cars and still own my 1980 5000$ purchase ss. If its a mock up its not worth the money. Yes nice car but hasn't got the plates.Less money.MY day fakes were repulsive as there were many.

SLR paint scheme many years ago there was a green genuine 5000 in Rocky QLD. SLR scheme was shadowed down side.base colour green slr black, Base colour black slr green.

SLR 5000 was horizontally split 50 50 car green slr  black lower part of doors black stencil green.top base green stencil black dark green very impressive. All my years never seen another variant of this paint scheme. Its not factory but very impressive.If ya can understand that would make a mock up special.    

#98 Stevo75

Stevo75

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LH Torana, HSV R8

Posted 20 February 2022 - 08:51 AM

Been going through this thread looking for the same guidance on paint scheme as a lot of you have been through

Dug this book out of a box during the week. For what it’s worth it looks like it has the factory notes for exterior styling.

Interesting it mentions that most of the LH SLR blackouts are deleted for the L34. Almost all L34’s I’ve seen pictures of have the blackouts.

Possibly just throws more confusion on the matter. I guess the book isn’t from Holden, so could also be mistaken.

Attached Files

#99 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2022 - 09:59 AM

The blackouts referred to are at the bottom of the nosecone, the sills, and under the back bumper.

Attached File  DSC_0010.JPG   215.42K   3 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0011.JPG   229.57K   3 downloads

#100 Stevo75

Stevo75

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LH Torana, HSV R8

Posted 20 February 2022 - 12:45 PM

Thanks Shiney

Gothca. That makes sense. I hadn’t picked up all the black down low on the SLRs. That photo shows it well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users