402 replies to this topic

#51 turboman

turboman

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

have you tried professional fabrication [profab] located in Hobart tas,there work on anything to do with cars is some of the highest quality fabrication work that I have seen on cars.you couldn't go wrong getting them to sort out what the other guy stuffed up

#52 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

hi turboman ,only had a bit of a sqizz of their work when i went in there with idiot engineer who did the work on mine.they were doing

a 4 link chassis clip in an lj ,which the fabrication work didnt look too shabby at all,they made me tubs,

only ripping them out because of gaps everywhere ,will get it back to the bones then do a torsional test once tinwork and cage go in which

wont be too far away,will get the chassis checked too for straightness

Maz

#53 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

heres some horror pics i thought i would put up for you's to look atAttached File  ljzedded 173.jpg   582.02K   14 downloads

#54 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Attached File  ljzedded 174.jpg   593.61K   10 downloads

#55 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

more of his handiwork  :spoton: Attached File  ljzedded 175.jpg   583.55K   7 downloads

#56 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

he's getting betterAttached File  ljzedded 177.jpg   585.28K   8 downloads

#57 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:46 PM

Bloody hell Maz.

Was the car handed back to you in what the engineer called a finished state?

ie: ready for paint/panel and assembly?

#58 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

yep,pretty much Daz,told me to go home and lay down some primer.but i started checking and measuring and didnt like what i seen.

most of the gaps he just sikaflexed up but really it was to hide his terrible work,

#59 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

didnt get as much done today as i wished,got a nasty spark that must of hit my face bounced of the glasses and hit right in the corner of my eye,then me grinder sh@t itself.but got one tub out of the way,only has the arch really holding it together at the side so i better be carefull.here's a pic so farAttached File  ljzedded 185.jpg   568.92K   9 downloads

#60 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Attached File  ljzedded 189.jpg   579.19K   9 downloads

#61 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

tomorrow will get the other tub out and pick off the boot supprt bracket so it makes it easier to enlarge the wheel well to accomodate 28 dia tires,and clean up all the bird dropping welds, slowly getting there

#62 _000lj_

_000lj_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

I don't now what to say about this I started reading at the start and iv been shacking my head for the last 2 pages except
for engine/gearbox pics
wow you would of been a lot better of [$15000]doing it your self, I have made some dodgy repairs in my time but never charged good money like that, I hope you can recoup some of your cost for a very sub standard job
get yourself a tig welder and find a good sheet metal fab shop which there should be hundreds down there then just get
your measurements and get them to cut/roll/bend for you then all you will need to do is weld in that's what I do then I
now its done right

#63 turboman

turboman

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

im in Tassie to mate,north west coast.have also a 4 door lc torana that I bought in Melbourne with an engineered 308.9 inch,4 wheel disk conversion it was originally done in queensland then guy I bought it off in melb pulled it apart and had rollcage,tubs and shortened 9 inch with coil overs done to it.came with a 355 holden with alloy heads etc.im going to get profab to redo rollcage and tubs as im not 100 percent happy with it but saying that im am rather picky.if it was me I would take the rear clip out and redo it,im sure it would not have been done right what with the other shonky work this clown done to the rest of your car.

#64 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

mmm.i was a fool hey.well the thing they are telling me is if i do it it wont pass even if i do a good job,i have to hold a certif to be able to do the work.i have got onto gonzo's fabrication on derwent park and does these modifications all the time,he will do the tinwork and cage for 6gs,it will be done in steps.i will access the work if im not happy i will pull it out in a flash.or he will redo it till im happy,so hopefully everything goes smoothly.

He is in talks with the rta fella who will pass it once finished.the thing is people can bullshit in your ear and if anything goes wrong such as the housing is not centred in vehicle they blame the fella who you got the housing through etc,excuses excuses and i have end up believing the wrong person,he actually hid every stuff up by putting heaps of sikaflex everywhere possible,anyway......

whats done is done hey,

Maz

#65 turboman

turboman

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

have you got all the info into modification to cars in Tasmania,go into service Tasmania site and look up modification to cars section it will give you all the guidelines of what you can and cant do and a list of all the engineers to do with all relevant sections of a car.im thankfull most of mine was already engineered and has blue plate in engine bay so cant be knocked back for rego,only thing needing an engineer for is when I get tubs redone.will be putting a build up of my car soon when I get someone to upload pics for me.i have so far a chromemoly tubular k-member and coilover front end from macdonald bros in melb,willwood disks and calipers front and rear,fiberglass bonnet,bootlid and both bumper bars,going to be painted mint julep with candy green painted motor and trans.

#66 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

yours sounds the go turboman.will catch up one day and we will  go terrorise the streets hehehe.well i got  most of the info .the thing what pops up is can i get it regd with the mcdonaldbros 4 link clip.its a bit of a debate where on one side guys will say soon as you take out the rails it will not get registration,and on the other side you got a clip is acceptable as long as the modification are of an acceptable standand,its this what actually plays on my mind,i sought an rta engineer on the subject john wilson in the act who has done 25 of these mods and has assured me that i can get it regd,i can only go 8s on the back but .i have upgraded the rear to a 9" and 35 spline with floating hubs.so there is no doubt in my mind the arse end can cope with a 10" wide tire,

truthfully the tubs in mine wernt crash,they were even different sizes and the welds on inside were rather turd like.will probably get mine sent in a flat pack from mcdonaldbros with more ribbing where i want it

cheers Maz

#67 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

got the other tub out and started tidying up then stopped .i started checking the measurements of the clip.i took two measurements from the

c pillar to the clip each side and they came up within a mm of each other then took 2 more from the top of clip to the outside guard ,was 2mm difference then took some more about 44cm back and the difference was a cm,the left side is wider to the rail than the right.so i started scrathin me head why is that,the left tub when it was in had a cm gap to the chassis rail.so im thinkin has the body moved sideways when he cut the arse out as he had no braces supporting the rear.ive even grabed hold of the guard to see how much movement there is and there is stuff all.i will put up a pic to see what you's think.the white tape is where i measure from the rear both side so its the same.Attached File  ljzedded 190.jpg   589.81K   7 downloads

#68 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

checked the boot how it sits shut and thats square and level to the body.so body hasnt moved.

cant understand why left side is wider than the right.will put the arse end under and measure the clearance

from the the inside of tire to the chassis rail and see what that that brings up

Maz

#69 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,594 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

You are doing all the measurements Maz,

Is the best way to make sure the pieces are right, best of luck with the Modification Rules. Dave I

#70 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

thanks Dave  :) .

well i tidied up frame and put the rear end in .first thing i did was get the link arms identical in length,then wound in the track locator bar to get it all square.that took some time to get right.i reckon i checked it 20 times . the lhs clearance from inside tire to rail was 25mm.rhs was about18mm.+ about 5mm more room from tire to outside guard,so the 10 mm what popped up earlier when i measured the rail to outside guard on the left hand side ,

its like the frame is 5mm to the right,heres where i measured it from the c pillar to clip which is 394 each side,i cant work it out,Attached File  ljzedded 195.jpg   593.98K   6 downloads

#71 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

now the thing that im worried about is when i give it the exact distance from the inside tire to rail the link arms are on an angle to the right

not square and the right wheel is near on the outside guard.

if i leave it square the gap to the right wheel  is not enough clearance i dont think.minimum clearance is 20mm what ray at mcdonalbros told me.this is left hand side.Attached File  ljzedded 197.jpg   580.25K   6 downloads

#72 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

right hand sideAttached File  ljzedded 196.jpg   584.71K   4 downloads

#73 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

pics of the rear end inAttached File  ljzedded 191.jpg   585.88K   5 downloads

#74 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

wish i could make em smaller .here's some moreAttached File  ljzedded 193.jpg   585.76K   6 downloads

#75 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Attached File  ljzedded 194.jpg   592.94K   9 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users