103 replies to this topic

#26 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hmm kill a hatch do build it, NNOOO please dont anyone think of it lol. Gemini lights and roofs a good idea kill them :)
If its a photoshop iv never seen original photo taken from but def looks like sedan lights.

There'll be no gemini killin on my watch!

#27 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Early Commodore station wagon roof, rear door and taillights would be the go.

And begin with a Torana 4 door, extend the doors 100mms or so.

Two door wagon or low roof delivery style panel van.

!'ll have one of each thanks.

#28 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

If someone's going to build it, this is how I reckon it should be done. When I get more time hopefully I'll get to do some more views and more detail. The upper section of the hatch/tailgate is VB-VL Commodore wagon - cut and shut in various sections so that it matches the rake of the original Torana C-pillar. The hardest/most costly parts I think would be side rear window glass and making all the custom stainless trim mouldings for around the windows. And matching the curvature of the front half of the Torana sedan roof to something else like Sigma or early Commodore wagon.

Toranawagonside1-Copy-Copy_zpsb4a8b31d.j

#29 _greenstuf_

_greenstuf_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

YES PLEASE :bowdown:

#30 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

My mum would have loved it. Really handy for getting the kids to Saturday morning soccer matches.

#31 _kayesem_

_kayesem_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

^ Thanks, nice efforts.

I disagree with the proportions of the tail-gate angle and of course rear end length.

You have perhaps inadvertently replicated the mistakes of the old school black and white chop photo that Torananut posted on page 1.

Heath nailed it and very well spotted too. It’s a chopped image of two photos, before PS was around.

Such a thing can be made by taking one photo with a cam fixed to a tripod or whatever; of an LX sedan, then parking a H series wagon like a HQ in the same spot and taking the second image without moving the camera. Then cut and shut with scissors or a scalpel or something, then take another photo of the chopped image.

It never seemed right, the black and white one. The body work rear of the back tyres is of course standard sedan length for the sake of laziness / curiosity and is straight up not long enough. It’s ends up more 4-door hatch in look / feel etc. like a squished up 70’s Mazda 323 kinda look.

The tail-lights and rear ¾ view is difficult to picture and very easy to get all kinds of wrong. I believe that the little TD Gem had all of the above well and truly sorted. The issues there are of course, for starters, they are sic in their own right and not be hacked up imo. Next is obviously size, being more LC/LJ than they are LH/LX. They get upset balance wise with 8 cylinders up front, and the wheelbase is ridiculously short. Four stud wheel patterns, torque tubes, etc.

I remember the SM article in the old Expression Session. Several weeks earlier I had sketched and coloured a front ¾ view of a TD wags with blackouts paintwork, SLR flares and Dragway 4 spokes. I have raided my SM stacks recently but can’t locate the mag at the moment, and the picture I drew is long gone I think.

IMO the best match for panels, trim and glass is the VB Commo wags, and you can still get one owner examples for SFA really. To the point where you don’t know whether to graft the back onto an LH/LX, or the Torry front onto the Commo.

The H series wagons are IMO a dodgy hack job that looks rushed and fairly shithouse in terms of intention and integration as a model in their own right. They tried to coke-bottle the arse end TC Cortina style, but failed hard in both cases. The Corty at least appeared to have the effort put in.

I am going with custom CFRP panels on my own project, as weight reduction / rust rep. etc instead of obsessing over steel, welding, rust, repeat type of thing. With the experience from cloning all hanging panels I imagine things will be view in a different light afterwards.

Basically, the conclusion is that there is so much fking work in the cutting / shutting / hacking / wondering method that one would be quite better off from the start to simply design and build from the ground up, to suit either the same chassis or a modded HQ Tonner chassis / similar.

I figure start small, and would like to play around with a 1/10 scale model for the time being, something to do in winter etc. and with the benefits of getting a good feel for the design and being able to use it as an RC car, and basically inspiration as a living, moving  concept image in 3D.

I have been modding 1/18 and 1/10 RCs like VKs, LXs and Dattos etc. for about a year now. I have moulding / casting supplies and pro sculpting clay etc. just waiting on a small toaster oven kinda thing due to clay being basically set (rock hard, unworkable) at room temp.

Will be nice to bounce a few ideas around here in any case.

Cheers

This is somewhat of a collective work-in-progress / mystery / XU2 / GTR/X / Unicorn sorta thing I spose.

#32 _kayesem_

_kayesem_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Check out the 4-spoke Sprintmaster style rims on this puppy!

Good to have at least a fruit or two to bring back and show for insane research. Step 01 to create = look and see if it has not already been created. We don't want to re-invent wheels or anything. This freak is like an LJ/TD Gem wags hybrid that does not suck. Very fking hard to find, enjoy : )

vojb.jpg

#33 CanAm

CanAm

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name:Seth
  • Car:1975 LH GPAK

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

I think the LH/X version was only a clay model from memory??

#34 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Wow man, you've got it right there.

I was thinking the other day it should be like the Commodore sportswagons, standard wheelbase and short overhang, but hadn't got so far as pillar angles and thickness.

That looks sensational and has good dimensions for a two door delivery with Hatchback rear flares too.

#35 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

That looks better than the chunky HQ-HZ style, that would look very cool in metal.

#36 _barana_

_barana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Mick74lh
That is freeeeakinlgy beautiful. Ive always wanted to to a uc wagon, but that lh prototype earlier in the thread, just didnt quite do it for me and calculating the excess wheelbase and weight it woulda been a inbred, the sportswagon idea is great, as done with the 70's opel rekord and vauxhall relativees of the torrie.They look shitty tho, but man you have made it! Thats the ducks guts!what app do you use to draw thAt? Cant wait for the backshot to see how u blend tailgate and boot,lights etc

#37 davelh

davelh

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

See attached

Attached Files

#38 _barana_

_barana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

Yeah thats the pic davelh,i used to have that mag too.
I even had a mag with an article in it about the all new 73/4 torana,what pictured was an opel kadett.which turned out to be the tx gemini.(at least they chucked out the athesmatic viva engine and bolted in the beautiful isz 1600).

Edited by barana, 08 March 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#39 _barana_

_barana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

VAuxhall victor FE wagon.

i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc13/vambo8/IMG_2754.jpg

Great concept. Shitty look unless its in ratrod dress.

Edited by barana, 08 March 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#40 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Now draw us us a mid engine 2 seater based on a Hatchback, with a vertical window behind the seats and the B / C pillars following the Hatchback line and extending down the rear quarters Ferrari style please.

#41 _barana_

_barana_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

And what shall we call such a beast? A torana version of a hurricane... a holden willy willy? Might be popular with the bachelors :)

#42 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I was talking about this idea with some mates over the weekend. A couple of them are into vintage cars and seem to think that the roof panel could be easily wheeled up with an excess left for folding drip rails and that there are guys around who would be able to make the stainless steel trim pieces. Obviously there's more to it than that its more a matter of establishing what's feasible should one of us actually decide to build something like this.

Bai, I'm still of the opinion that this concept should be standard sedan wheelbase and length, with the raked rear pillar/screen - like the Sportswagon. My own two cars are a VK Commo wagon and LH Torana sedan and I just can't see the rear of one fused to the other. I think the early Commo wagon rear side glass, etc would be too large and too upright for the rest of the Torana. Don't want to make it look squished but I really think this should retain the mid sized Torana proportions rather than trying to look HQ sized. Also it was suggested to me that a Gemmy wagon/panel van rear screen would be better suited to this concept than a Commo wagon one, which I reckon could be on the money.

I possibly vaguely remember the Expression Session you are talking about. If you can find it please share. It would be cool to see. Keen to see some of your other projects aswell.

Hey Barana, I typically use Photoshop to draw stuff like this; using a Wacom drawing tablet to try and get lines which look 'naturally' drawn.

#43 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

If someone's going to build it, this is how I reckon it should be done. When I get more time hopefully I'll get to do some more views and more detail. The upper section of the hatch/tailgate is VB-VL Commodore wagon - cut and shut in various sections so that it matches the rake of the original Torana C-pillar. The hardest/most costly parts I think would be side rear window glass and making all the custom stainless trim mouldings for around the windows. And matching the curvature of the front half of the Torana sedan roof to something else like Sigma or early Commodore wagon.

Can i put an order in for one, i'de like it in Mandarin Red with L34 Blackouts and the A9X bonnet scoop please.   :spoton:

#44 _kayesem_

_kayesem_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for the thoughts there mick74lh.

It has been difficult but I've tried out 4 "quick" chops on PS when I have had the chance. Not very forgiving but I ended up with one rough that goes at least a little ways towards what I've been thinking. The VK wagon VS LH/LX was purely coincidental. I tried crossing a black and white SLR with a white volvo wagon to start with. Anything that will vaguely line up image wise really. 

Donating a wagon top and back to a Torry is in the right direction, I learned that at least. If you scale the Torry front end up to meet a VB - VL Commo, it looks like a mutant freak, especially the height of the screens and windows. I guess my mind was focussed more on the shapes than the size of factory gear.

Anyway, simple things : /

wuh.jpg

#45 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Errrtkk...

Putting a Torana front on a Volvo or Commodore wagon would be like putting your missus's head on your mother-in-law.

#46 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

Hmm I'm still not convinced that's how I'd do it. There's too much Commodore and not enough Torana in that for my liking.

Mort when I get a chance I'll do your mandarin red one.

#47 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

Cool, thanks Mick

#48 _barana_

_barana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

hey mick74lh: Made any progress on the rearshot?

#49 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Mort

Can i put an order in for one, i'de like it in Mandarin Red with L34 Blackouts and the A9X bonnet scoop please.   :spoton:

this would be a walk in the park,,, but i think it should be 4-6 inches longer in the ass,,, how about you supply the car and i will build it for you.

cheers gong

#50 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

How much to build it, I've got an LH roller here lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic