the chrome strips

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

hi all just wondering if anyone could tell me if i can buy the silver rain gutter strip that goes over rain gutter & the silver strips that go just under the side windows is it stainless steel thats dipped in chrome or just steel polished and where else do they go on a torana lx 2 door hatchback 77 model

thanks 

#2 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

I am not aware of any hatchbacks having trim on the rain gutters at all, so I would say you cannot get them.

The ones that surround the side windows on an LX and UC hatch are anodised aluminium which means they are soft, scratch pretty easily and you have to be very gentle with removing and refitting them.

You can get anodising redone but it is difficult to get it to look like the originals.  The only way I have seen them successfully done is to manually remove the anodising, polish the trim by hand trying to remove as little material as possible as they are only about 1mm thick and then have them re-anodised.

If someone tells you they can etch the old anodising off, I would be cautious.  I havn't seen it  work, it pits the surface and they look crap when re-anodised.  These are getting difficult and expensive to find.

The lower door ones under the window are differnt between SL and SS.

#3 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

171142913293 on ebay but he wont post  :wtf:

#4 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Sedan ones

So they wouldn't fit anyway

#5 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

thanks all once again = love this forum :clappin:

#6 _Mid Life Crisis_

_Mid Life Crisis_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

Mate, just keep an eye on evil bay.... I bought a full set a couple of years ago on e-bay .....bad news..... they cost me just over $600. not cheap but they seem to be fairly scarce. 

#7 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Name:Kirk
  • Car:LX SS 253

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Are these the strips you're after Shelly?

Attached Files

#8 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

yes thats the strips i am after does any one sell them eg rare spares .etc...

and you dont have one on your roof rain gutter 

you car looks neat 

#9 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

The only bits being done repro are these little bits in front of the mirrors which is good because they have always been stinkers to get.

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1482wt_1161

Those are SS ones as they have the slotted holes in 1 end, the SL ones just tuck under the end of the mirror but you can make them work for both.

I still use the original SL ones on mine with SS mirrors as I have yet to find someone willing to part with the SS set for a reasonable price and they all seem to have marks of some sort on them.

The SL mirror base is about 10mm longer so you end up with a 10mm gap behind the mirror if you use the SL ones.  A fair few of the SL passenger side ones didn't have mirrrors so they are 1 piece which you can carefully mod to take a mirror, which is what I did.

The original SS ones above do look good without that little 10mm gap.

There is no rain gutter trims for the hatchbacks - they all go round the windows (under the rain gutter at the top) as per the pic of the blue one above.

#10 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

oh dear just looked at my doors mine are different i have an sl 77 lx hatchback look at where my mirrors sit ? is this correct passenger side  IMG_5135.jpg drivers side CAR.jpg

#11 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Those are SS mirrors so no your SL would not have come out with those.  I would say someone has fitted those themselves and done them lower so they didn't have to modify the trim.

Interestingly that drivers door one doesn't look like it has a gap for the mirror - is there a join there or something behind the mirror?  I havn't seen a 1 piece drivers door trim for a hatch back.

Edited by Toranamat69, 14 October 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#12 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

hi   no  gap ? so mine being an sl where do my mirrors go in the strip ? but theres no gap for a mirror 

i have noticed this car i bought has a lot of ss and a9x stuff on it ?IMG_1409.jpg

#13 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Shelly

thanks 

Your mirrors are in the wrong spot ,have a look at mine, they are same for both sides

i dont think the SS had chrome strips for the roof gutter whats wrong with your strips.I have a spare set minus the little corner bits for the mirrors (matt posted the link for them)

Matt if Dave paid $600 for his set then $60 for the corner bits are good value

#14 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Well there ya go - never seen a drivers door one like that, I wonder which model that is off. I thought all models came out with the drivers side mirror.

I just went and had a look at mine and compared with a spare UC set I have and there is no way to make that full lenghth drivers door one from any of the others bits, so it must have come out that way.

BTW, I got my excellent spare set from a wrecker at Richlands just before they closed down about 13 years ago - I saw them there as I was walking out and a car had just come in, I popped them off and walked up to the guy, he didn't even ask what they were from and said $5 so I crumbled and handed over the cash :-)  One of my few victories over the years.

Edited by Toranamat69, 14 October 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#15 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Even back 13 years ago people didn't think to much of UC's

#16 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

That is odd! 

What's on your model tag Shelley? It will be LX8V ? 77. 

#17 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

Got me beat, i have gone and looked at pics of every different trim level LX and UC hatch and I can't see that drivers door trim you have so yeah would be good to see what trim level your car was originally Shelley.

#18 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Yes very unusual.

Maybe a change during a previous rebuild. The chrome strip from under the rear 1/4 window from the other side (from another car) could have been used by shortening and carefully bending to match the passenger side. The cut off curved end would fit up under the top section for a neat finish.

Maybe??..just guessing.

#19 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

I would be removing the trim and having a look if those doors were fitted up like that from factory, you may well have a very rare hatch back.

#20 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Well I just had a thought - looking on page 539 of the LX parts manual it shows different part numbers for Molding reveal lower (without mirror) LH and RH for all trim levels of hatch and 4 door (except UG and VG and I don't think they had the trims at all).

Then below that has part numbers for Molding reveal lower (with mirror) LH and RH, long piece and short piece.

So they were available.

I wonder if this is another funny LHD thing or if it was a delete mirror option.  From memory the ADR at the time didn't need external mirrors, as long as the interior one was fitted.

Possibly someone reallised many moons ago that the LHD came with a single piece RHD trim and ordered it when still availble from GMH?

Edited by Toranamat69, 14 October 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#21 _Shelly`s LX_

_Shelly`s LX_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

hi here is a pic of my tags the little one at the bottom matches the numbers and letters on the bit where the petrol round black thing  sits IMG_2264.jpg i do have another dilema i dont know what colours to do on the inside what is it supposed to be it is [poo brown] at the moment from seats bucket seats where beige ? talk about mixture and another thing when crome strips taken off drivers door they were held on with white clips and a few black rubber things and potrivets passenger door just little stubs with white plastic things

#22 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

It is definately an SL 253 V8 model and that does look like a matching set of plates.  The stamped chassis number should match the CLX040036M on the unpainted plate, not the skinny one.

I reckon yours was either a special with no drivers door mirror or someone had got their hands on a RH door alloy trim from a LHD model.

The pop rivet on your passenger door just means someone has removed the little welded on rivets and then wanted to fit them back on.  May have been because they changed the door or it needed some panel work or some people just like to remove the trim when they repaint.

I am glad I checked the parts manual as it shows that infact the SL and SS used the same alloy strips.  They must have changed that small one at some stage as the one that came on my hatch is different to the one shown in the parts manual and the one I linked to on e-bay.  The slot in the hole is so it will work with both mirror types.  The reason for the 10mm gap in mine is because SL mirror holes are drilled 10mm further forward than SS ones and I obviously didn't want to redrill my newly painted doors last time. 

Might be time to fix that now since my doors are being repainted.

#23 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

and another thing when crome strips taken off drivers door they were held on with white clips and a few black rubber things and potrivets

Were the rubber things and pop rivets around the front of the door, where the mirror is (usually)?

Sounds like someone has gone to alot of trouble removing the factory drivers mirror to a full drivers chrome strip to match the factory passenger chrome and then refit new drivers and passengers mirrors below the chrome.

#24 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

FYI your interior colour is listed on the yellow plate, under TRIM, 1886 - 67v a search of the forum stickies should reveal all.

(stickies are the threads "stuck" to the top of topics, as found on the forum home page).

#25 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Shelly its your car paint it and trim it the way you want it.Mine is a genuine SS 253 suppose to be mandarin red and black interior.

Matt mine has a gap on both sides but not 10 mil.more like 5 or 6 mil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users