xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Just putting this out there, If your car had a missing or damaged Tag, and you have rego papers and other info to prove your car is the car, Say someone like Rare Spares made these Tags and on the Tag it says replacement tag say in corner of tag etc, and rare spares only issued these on you have to meet a criteria basis etc, ADR Tag maybe not be made, but PSN Tag and Paint and Trim tag etc, whatwe think here on this.

AL

#2 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

This should be a good one to watch..........................

#3 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

if you have all the proof of the car... why bother getting a repro tag, particularly if it has "replacement tag" in the corner ?

#4 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

Just putting it out there Adam

#5 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

To replace the missing or damage original tag with the Replacement Tag Adam, if it can be done in a legal manner, why not Adam

#6 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

I think its a bad idea... someone will pay someone to leave out the reproduction bit !  And the tag may well exist still, just because the owner of the car doesnt have it !

Regardless of that, anyone can get tags remade in the states... without the reproduction bit on i

Edited by Gonad Gobbler, 12 November 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#7 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

Well if they can be made in the States, maybe Rare Spares should do it and have a rare spares logo on tag and do it in a legal way and stop the usa thing

#8 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Well if they can be made in the States, maybe Rare Spares should do it and have a rare spares logo on tag and do it in a legal way and stop the usa thing

According to one of the US trim tag repro sites they say "Sorry, we do not, and will not, do VIN tags" It looks like they only do the US equivalent of our Body Identification tag.

Cheers

Bazza

#9 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,082 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Their tags have little errors built in, easy to spot. I don't really have an issue with it as long as nothing is misrepresented. If I had damaged tags i'd get them redone and keep the originals to give to any future buyer of the car.
I have found a few though where people have had tags made that aren't the same as the originals eg one idiot who got the VIN tag done on a HZ Sandman and used the Elizabeth body number as the PSN. Ignored the fact it was a Pagewood car!

#10 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

The way to do this would be an exchange system where you order a new set and you have to surrender the originals
Phillip

#11 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,082 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

That would be silly, you want the originals to prove the new ones are the same!

#12 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

I like the idea, for completeness...but would worry about scammers somehow getting in on it.

i.e. if they can do identity theft and credit card duplicates....then getting an order through for a set of dodgy tags would be a snack??

One half of me says...if it was available now, I'd get a set probably, just to give my LJ a more 'finished" look  ( no holes)...but the other half says that when I see cars with those computer generated copy tags, I think they look a bit funny.

Not sure

#13 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

with my ck bathurst car vin tag, you can read the numbers better from the back then what you can from the front, because some silly ex owner polished it when trying to clean the rat shit off,,, i will be keeping things as they are,,, as if i wanted remade tags i would make my own.

but im with yel327 I don't really have an issue with it as long as nothing is misrepresented.

cheers gong

#14 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

If it is damaged fine...

Missing no...

#15 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

I think its a good idea only if the owner possess's the original tags. Lets face it..holden didnt really make the torana ID tags out of quality metal most of them are a bit cactus looking.

#16 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:Nuffin. Goin touring.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

Yea, I agree. Damaged , then fine I reckon. No tag? Too frOcking bad...

#17 bobsduese

bobsduese

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Name:Bob
  • Car:gtr 1972

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

Hi  Bob here from New Zealand My GTR LJ 1972 was dismantled to be restored approx 10 years ago, then sold on dismantled with vin tag missing. A member of the local GTR Torana Club  has a register of all GTR Toranas he has come across over many years . Has my car details when  still on the road with the Vin Tag just before it was dismantled and sold on with vin tag missing. I have the original ownership papers from new.  The other two tags and original number on the inner left gaurd .The tag on fire wall has the last four numbers of the vin tag on the back . I have been on to a parts company in Brisbane .Harrisons who can reproduce the three tags at $ 2.500 AU  . I only require the vin tag. I can reproduce a vin tag myself with my cars' numbers as per original as I own this car.  I am not doing anything dishonest or fradulent as I have original ownership papers confirming details and these can  be confirned by the local Torana Club. With me making a press tool die to remake one for myself  what do the members think of these being available to members and how to make them available  Thanks for any replies and feed back  Thanks Bob

#18 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

Wow Bob ? $2,500 plus to confirm what you know, frOcks sake.

Harrisons and you should be put in jail... Wankers.

#19 bobsduese

bobsduese

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Name:Bob
  • Car:gtr 1972

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hi Whats upset you Skapinad ?? with my  comments .  for as for me being put in jail for what ?  feel free to call any one . 

what you want (Wankers)              Thanks for your reply Bob

Edited by bobsduese, 21 September 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#20 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

It upsets me as it is against the law.

#21 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

I would be saying that if the tags are an original fitment and don't require removal leave them where they are unless it is absolutely needed for repair of areas

around tag ,not owning anything of great importance i would say if they have been removed for security purposes then refit them as per the way they came off the car when needed ,it is too easy these day with computers/cnc machines etc to "reproduce" a tag,but it will never be same as an original as per the reverse stamps used by Holden or otherwise unless they have a really good one to "copyish".

Plenty stuff around lately about dodgy tags and re-tagged cars.....it makes all those that own real ones cringe about when their car will be for sale???my 2 cents worth as a UCer.

#22 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

I'll be interested to see what the fraud squad has to say about Harrisions producing tags.

#23 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

I've got a mate, Guido, he can do them for $500

#24 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

Say someone like Rare Spares made these Tags and on the Tag it says replacement tag

They do this in the USA (with no repro message). I have a nice shiny tag on my Mustang (driver's door) that shows VIN, factory options, colour, etc. but there is also 2 VIN stamps on the chassis.  Change a driver's door on a Mustang and you can have a non-matching tag.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 22 September 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#25 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,082 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

In the US they do the BODY tag repro so you can change colour and trim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users