dascind

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Car:71 LC GTR

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Dear Members

Looking for information for some research on the old Brickies racing strip out where Sydney Olympic Park now is.

Some footage of this was shown in the iconic movie FJ Holden.

Any info, pics, the actual site etc etc would be very much appreciated.

Cheers Dave

#2 _grumpy 026_

_grumpy 026_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Dave,

Brickies as it was as such was not a " racing strip" it was a section of I believe private road concrete four lanes wide, with a straight of sufficient length to do un-official type drags on late at night and weekends. It was a dead end road between "Simons Plywood factory and the old brick pits/ rubbish tip. Had gone there many a time; but never to do anything illegal of course. So footage would I think have to be of the home 8mm type I think, There may be some Newspaper articles  in there archieves . Hope this is of some  help to you.

G.  

#3 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

Australian Muscle Car to a big feature on it in an issue around 12 months ago. I'd start by finding a copy of that (can't remember the issue number just now). 

#4 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

I would never admit to going and hanging out at ''Brickies''........and I would never admit to drag racing there late at nite ......mmmm.........they were the days ...lol

#5 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=Jx2WjkqGjsE

https://www.youtube....h?v=6xk54a0p1qw

Not from my era but that should give you an idea.

#6 dascind

dascind

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Many thanks on this info.

Meant to say 'illegal' drag strip et al!

Old Youtube clip a history classic.

#7 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hi Dave,

Brickies was on wentworth road at homebush and don't forget carter street at auburn,the good old days.

Regards John.

#8 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Brickies was at end of underwood rd homebush where the meat abbattoirs use to be now the homebush olympic site..was a great place to go late saturday and sundays nights in the late seventies and mid eighties..

i recall many a time coming back from castlereagh dragstrip then going to big chiefs hamburger diner at granville (clyde)  parramatta rd hanging out late then to brickies for more drag racing...been there many a time when cops busted us down there...

we never learnt cause we would sneak off to carter st lidcombe which which had a escape route as opposed to brickies underwood rd which would get blocked off and then the cops would start issuing defects...great old days and some bloody quick cars

#9 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Yeah, been done by the constabulary there many times. The strip itself was the long straight section, from the corner downwards (on the map) & the end of the quarter mile was one of those electricity transformer boxes, on the left of the roadway.

In the FJ Holden movie they showed it down at the very end near the water's edge, but that road was too short for racing.

They were filming the FJ movie one night we were down there & my brothers' LJ Torana & EH Panel van got bit parts in the film.

That part of town is now very trendy (read expensive) with large unit blocks, overlooking the Parramatta River & they changed the suburb name to Wentworth Point.

Dr Terry

#10 dascind

dascind

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

I do remember the Big Chief.

If I am correct, it was customary to have oil put out on their driveway/Parramatta Rd and do the mandatory burn out upon leaving ........

The good old days?!

#11 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

reminds me of the Kooragang drags in Newcastle Dave,

in the late 70s there were some seriously powerful/quick cars there......

While there were some fast Toranas, I'd have to be honest and say, from what I remember , ....the fully worked over XC and XD s were the go........( I know its a horrible thing to say ....)

#12 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Oh man those places were awsome to see as a young kid...luckily too young to have a license during the final crazy years.

Was also good 'test track' and for the odd 'photo shoot' near the water...lots of smoke involved.

#13 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

I do remember the Big Chief.

If I am correct, it was customary to have oil put out on their driveway/Parramatta Rd and do the mandatory burn out upon leaving ........

The good old days?!

Yes, a drink cup full of diesel usually did the trick.

Dr Terry

#14 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

South East Queenslanders would head to Powers, Computer Rd near the brewery at Yatala. They sold hot dogs, drinks, Powers Street Drag t-shirts.
The hot dog van would race some old shitter for fun with Greensleeves playing down the qtr.
Either there or Carole Park.

#15 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

Yeah the good old days of Sunday night Auburn Maccas, carter st, Davis rd etc

#16 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

South East Queenslanders would head to Powers, Computer Rd near the brewery at Yatala. They sold hot dogs, drinks, Powers Street Drag t-shirts.
The hot dog van would race some old shitter for fun with Greensleeves playing down the qtr.
Either there or Carole Park.

^^ you also forgot Fishermans Island , i was old enough to scam my parents & score a back seat in an older mates torana for Powers brewery drags ( the christmas tree was 12v battery powered ) & we'd also go looking for trouble at Fisho Island , " the five mile " (7-11 to line up the races) at Redcliffe and sometimes at Lomandra drive at the Brisbane airport !!

All of which was vastly influential on me as a young teenager from the western suburbs . Not a bad way to spend the better part of 2-3 years ( 89-91 )

#17 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Yeah well , brickies was a long time ago , when we were probably 16 or 17 , we use to go there on some sunday nights after big chiefs , you,d normally follow a few on the way there , plenty of traffic lights in between for practice.

My brother had a 68 prince skyline with a race prepped holden six using webers which was a bit of a sleeper that I had the pleasure of the odd ride to there , it was bloody quick , it use to eat the E49,s and HO,s .   

I can remember the cars commenced by a guy standing in front of 2 cars about to launch and then he would drop his arms for the go signal .

CB radio was used to alert the racers from a guy who parked up at the entrance onto benelong road incase the cops were coming , if not it cost you about a $30 fine from the constable , penalty was from not wearing a seat belt although you were .

Start line was usually out the front of McPhee transport , I think the night security guy there was the one calling the boys in blue when things got too busy .

The diesel on the road out front of Chiefy,s was dangerous and some serious accidents had occurred , I remember the cops had XA or XB 351 coupes waiting up the road hiding who,d chase those smoking rubber as they left , the ford cop cars had auto,s as they would chirp the wheels going into 2nd gear.    

Memories of the naughty good days  !!

#18 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

^^ you also forgot Fishermans Island , i was old enough to scam my parents & score a back seat in an older mates torana for Powers brewery drags ( the christmas tree was 12v battery powered ) & we'd also go looking for trouble at Fisho Island , " the five mile " (7-11 to line up the races) at Redcliffe and sometimes at Lomandra drive at the Brisbane airport !!
All of which was vastly influential on me as a young teenager from the western suburbs . Not a bad way to spend the better part of 2-3 years ( 89-91 )

Lomandra drive I remember.

Edited by arrimar, 27 November 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#19 _OZMIK_

_OZMIK_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

I remember big Chiefs at Granville went ther a few times on the way home from the city late Saturday nights.

I do remember reading about some that was killed riding a motor bike at Brickies i still have this image of the bike in my head after seeing the picture in the newspaper with no front end .

Coeerct me if im wrong.

#20 _OZMIK_

_OZMIK_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

Yes, a drink cup full of diesel usually did the trick.

Dr Terry

Those were the days the few times i was there would tay an hour or so and watch the "entertainment"

#21 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Some footage of this was shown in the iconic movie FJ Holden.

They filmed so many movies there back in the day. Mad Max, etc. anything that required long strips of road or industrial scenery.

I recall driving there once and looking down into the brick pit and they had the Thunderdome with surrounding old village set there for Mad Max 3.

Bartertown1.jpg

Pic sourced from the web.

s

#22 gazzas

gazzas

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:26 PM

the road out the back of big cheif which ran alongside the shell refinery was also used at times ;)

#23 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

Some more pics of Brickies and Bartertown here:

http://www.madmaxmov...ax3/Bartertown/

s

#24 ido09s

ido09s

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Name:Brad

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

I am a bit young to know anything about Brickies but my old man used to frequent there I believe. He always brings up a story about a red motor in a bug eyed Sprite. Was a bit of a weapon apparently

I am more from the era of Auburn Maccas, Bondi on Sunday nights, Dolls Point on Sunday afternoons, the Mobil out at Parra speedway, Davies Road, M4 Maccas and the back road out near the old Australia's Wonderland, Marigold Street. Appin, blocking the M5, Wetherill Park, Ingleburn. The list goes on and on

Damn, was there anywhere we wouldn't race on a Sunday night!!!!!

Edited by ido09s, 07 June 2017 - 08:46 AM.

#25 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

I am more from the era of Auburn Maccas, Bondi on Sunday nights, Dolls Point on Sunday afternoons

There was also Jillies at Lansvale. Dolls Pt. at night was too risky, I've heard of plenty that were defected there.

Wasn't there one along the western side Rookwood Cemetary? Not sure if as popular as the others, I also knew guys that would skip school during lunch hour or sport to go bush bashing in the actual cemetery in the old deserted sections.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 07 June 2017 - 09:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users