1990 Harley XL1200

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#1 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

G'day,

Not sure how many harley enthusiasts float around here but I was basically after a few opinions on a bike I'm looking to buy. It's a 1990 XL1200 with a dyna tank, 12 months reg and roadworthy. I know the guy through a friend and its a genuine sale. I'm pretty much after something I can jump on and ride, and this thing is just what I need. It is a 4speed chain drive so what do you guys think they are worth in good condition?

5K too much?

#2 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

I tried to sell my 1994 Sportster 1200 last summer and only offer I got was $4000

It did need new fork tubes (rust pitting) and axle bearings and had an oil leak. Think when I have done all the work it would be worth $5500-6000.

If it is in good nick and you like it $5000 seams ok to me

Just my opinion though, compare the prices on Gumtree

Have fun

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:09 AM

Skirtster :D

5k would be a good price man.

There cool little bikes.

Cheers.

#4 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hahaha I felt that one coming along DJ. Well to be honest I used to hate them until I got over worrying about what everyone else thought. Now I've actually started to like them providing they are done up right, and I can't really afford a big twin right now, so it all seems to make sense. Ever since I heard the sound next to a mates night train I was like wow thESE things are pretty cool! So 5k seems good for a years reg and roadworthy condition. Definitely plan on doing pipes, intake, and just rampaging all the chrome until it's gone. As long as I get my money back when time comes to sell.

4 speed and chain anything to worry about?

Cheers

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

Not that im aware of mate, i've had plenty of bikes with a chain haha.

Pretty sure most sportsters were chain driven? Still might be? havnt payed any attention.

All i know is with a little bit of work they frOcking hook, XL1200 with exhaust and the like will easily walk all over my FXST.

Im a bit partial to the look of the old Iron head sporties, think they're a bit of alright.

Cheers.

#6 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Yeah I heard they're quick but then again I'm used to a gsxr so I guess I'll find out. They stopped making chain driven sporties after 91 I believe. Also changed the 5 speed but shouldn't matter. Not a waker box or anything is it?

Iron heads are nice, there's on on eBay right now ;)

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Mate i honestly dont know to much about the sporties, i shouldnt imagine the box would be any weaker. 

Cheers.

#8 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

The modern 1200's are great fun. I've got a 2012 FortyEight with two into one exhaust, screamin eagle tuner etc. The water cooled 500 coming out next year should prove pretty popular. (Even if it does come from India).

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

A water cooled Harley is not a Harley.

I will never in my life own a water cooled harley.

Cheers.

#10 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

Why does it matter?

#11 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

Wha? Whe? Who? Why"

Are you retarded son?

Anyone who has to ask that question, well it makes a mind wonder whether there intelligent enough to receive the answer!!

*best clint eastwood accent*

*waves arms around wildly in dismay*

*throws coffee table*

*storms out of room*

#12 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hr,mmmmmmmm

Lol

#13 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

To put it bluntly, Harleys have cernain things that make them Harleys.

The only reason they are, realistically, the sole american survivor in the motorcycle industry, is because they have stuck with them.

Personally, to me, a Harley Davidson is as follows:

45 degree V twin, Pushrods, Air cooled, steel frame, steel guards. 

Remove any one of these things, and, IMO, it is no longer a Harley.

Like frOcking really? If Harley made a bike that looked and sounded like a GXSR1000, but didnt turn quiet as well, ride quiet as well, didnt brake quiet as well and didnt go quiet as well, and it was 5k more expensive, would you buy it? Or would you buy a GXSR1000?

Plus, Radiators on cruisers are butt ugly, look at a Triumph Rocket III, ugh.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 07 December 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#14 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

HD could put out an electric/ hydrogen powered scooter and people would still buy it because its a HD. The marketing is that successful that folks are prepared to pay more for something that doesn't turn stop or go any better than most of what other co's offer. If Australians had the same allegiance to our products we'd still have an auto and manufacturing industry.

#15 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

I strongly dissagree Arrimar.

Some might, but not everyone.

#16 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

I agree with the aussie made comment. People in America seemed more inclined to buy America. Made, where as we don't. Well, that and unions.

As for the water cooling yeah doesn't look good if not concealed. But I like Harley's for the name and history, nothing wrong with that. Just because something does certain things better, and is also cheaper, doesn't make it more worthwhile.

If that's the case this would be a classic jap car forum.

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

Harley made in India...

#18 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Na, still mostly made in Milwalkee.

#19 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

I've sent a bunch of Harleys over (none of the little sportys though) and York, PA is where a lot of them are built actually..

#20 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Pretty sure the birth certificate of mine said Milwaukee?

Dont have it anymore :(

AFAIK none of them are manufactured outside of the USA like haters seem to keep pumping on about, the Vrod maybe, but its not a Harley, its a slow ugly Ducati wannabe. 

Cheers.

#21 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Just depends on the model I think...

The last shovel I sold there was from York  (Pennsylvania) ..I had checked the VIN out of curiosity while I was doing the import approval, lol

Not to say though, that the new ones don't still use parts from china on them though :(

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

No doubt in my mind that some of the parts are made in china.

Cheers.

#23 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Pretty sure the birth certificate of mine said Milwaukee?

Dont have it anymore :(

AFAIK none of them are manufactured outside of the USA like haters seem to keep pumping on about, the Vrod maybe, but its not a Harley, its a slow ugly Ducati wannabe. 

Cheers.

Ok, now I have sat back and read this trying to work out your knowledge DJ. But your comment above just triggered a nerve.
Clearly you have very little knowledge on Harley's and VRods. Best you don't make comment with such small minded intent!!

As for the Sporty, depends what you want to do with it and what your riding style is. They rev hard at 100kms and it will run out of puff not much over with a 4 speed. If you have come off a GSXR.
As for sending more time and money on it once you get it, then hoping for your money back when it's time to sell, realistically it won't happen. If you pay the right money for it now, that's basically what it's worth. The more that you spend on it, the more you will loose.

I would strongly suggest riding it with intent to buy, then make your decision. I have built and worked on many a Harley, and as I said before, if you come from a GSXR, this is very very different.

And by the way Bomber, if it wasn't for the "water cooled" Harley, the company would be no more. They were in a lot of strife before it came out, and has saved them big time.

Oh well, I guess your entitled to your opinion as is the rest of us.

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

Oh well, I guess your entitled to your opinion as is the rest of us.

Bingo.

I said earlyer i dont know much about sportsters, besides the asking price seeming fair to me.

Know less than nothing about V rods, because i absolutely hate the spastic piles of rubbish.

Know a little about Softails.

I know Harleys go "potato potato potato"

See, isnt it easyer if you just ask what someone knows instead of trying to do a profile on them?

Cheers.

#25 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

I see what you're saying, no doubt it will be different to a road bike, just a matter of getting used to I suppose. Just want something to putt around town so freeway driving won't be on the agenda. I can always change the sprocket can't i? Or do they not work like that?

As for the money, it's not about making anything, just not getting ripped off. Besides everything I do will be pretty cheap as I do most of it myself bar x amount of hundreds for a few parts here and there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users