STEERING WHEEL

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

I have been told that early LC GTR's had HK steering wheels on them, I cannot find any evidence of this , can anyone on this forum shed some light on this subject with hard evidence

Thanks

Les

#2 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

Hi Les,

Thet were fitted on 1969 LC GTR's.

Regards John.

#3 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hi Les,

Thet were fitted on 1969 LC GTR's.

Regards John.

Hi all

Definitely not all '69 models - my Melbourne built '69 was one only year old when I got it and it had a black vinyl wheel.

Cheers

Bazza

#4 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks guys but I need some hard evidence if possible such as the part number in an early parts book or something similar brochures are not that reliable as they are usually produced before the care and have many variations as the cars are in some cases prototypes or mock-ups.

Les

#5 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

hi Les

i think bazza as give you all you need to know about the wheel,,, all i can ad is you want find [ hard evidence ] because like a lot of old holden stock they needed to use what they had left over, and that would be why they all was not the same.

the only real fact is when holden started making the xu1 the steering wheel by this time was black as all LC XU1 dashes where black, where is before this there was antique gold.

witch brings me to a question,,, baz what color was the steel part of your dash antique gold or black,,, as that could be the only other explanation,,, holden would have said the brown wheel looks right with the gold dash,, then when black they would of just made the one wheel after this to save costs.

thats my thoughts but your call

cheers gong

Edited by LONA-CK, 13 January 2014 - 07:35 AM.

#6 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

hi from what i know and been told by guys that owned them and friends who had dealerships in that era was that

the wood grain s/wheels were the left overs from the hk gts monaros as the ht were getting the black rubber s/wheels

so the early lc gtr 69 model cars most would have got the woodgrain wheel

bazzas gtr has the black wheel, not sure what date build his gtr is

as 1 of my friends ownes the 1st adelaide lc gtr built which was owned by gmh had the woodgrain s/wheel then was painted in weird colors to look like an xu1and the steering was changed to black im sure i put photos up years ago on the no 5 chassis torana

gong was pretty much on the money

regards  aldo

#7 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

As the others have said Les, it's unlikely that you'll find anything official on this. I also believe that it varied greatly from factory to factory. 

AFAIK all HT GTSs got the black vinyl wheel from day 1 (June 1969) & the LC wasn't released until Oct 1969. HB Brabhams built between June & Oct (if any) also had the wood-rim wheels. So it looks as though any excess stock of HK/HB wood-rim wheels were used up on early LC GTRs. However none of this appears on any official paperwork !!

I've seen several very original Oct, Nov & Dec '69 LC GTRs with either black or wood-rim steering wheel fitted.

Dr Terry

#8 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

dr terry hi

as i said earlier the ht come with the black wheel

i also said that most of the 69 gtrs had the wood grain  wheel      MOST GTRS       as for paper work id doubt it,   as they were just getting rid of the exess wood grain wheels and yes ive also seen many unmolested  early lc gtrs with both wheels

regards  aldo

#9 _pantah_

_pantah_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

hi from what i know and been told by guys that owned them and friends who had dealerships in that era was that
the wood grain s/wheels were the left overs from the hk gts monaros as the ht were getting the black rubber s/wheels
so the early lc gtr 69 model cars most would have got the woodgrain wheel
bazzas gtr has the black wheel, not sure what date build his gtr is
as 1 of my friends ownes the 1st adelaide lc gtr built which was owned by gmh had the woodgrain s/wheel then was painted in weird colors to look like an xu1and the steering was changed to black im sure i put photos up years ago on the no 5 chassis torana
gong was pretty much on the money

regards  aldo

Gidday,Aldo......
I'd love to see that steering wheel and the car it's attached to.......
What's the state of play.... Last I saw was pic pic on the site of it as a rolling shell..... how is it comming along ?
Would love to put mine next to it and get some shots......they would make quite a pair, wood grain steering wheels and all...ha ha ha
Cheers

#10 _Skiids_

_Skiids_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Either way looks tuff with em

#11 _pantah_

_pantah_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

They do look good......

DSC_1034-1.jpg

#12 kerm74

kerm74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Nice work pantah, are we seeing this puppy at the gtr gathering at Easter? Nice trim too!

#13 _pantah_

_pantah_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Yes.......It will be in Adelaide complete with trim.....It actually looks good , but it will be going back to houndstooth when I find the right material...

I wonder if Aldos mate has his 5-A ready to run,because they would make a perfect pair.....

#14 kerm74

kerm74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Bazza, hope to see your gtr there, colour?

#15 _pantah_

_pantah_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Bazza can't make it this year.......Too bad

How about John Gong...? coming?

Aldo?

There are a couple of beautiful GTRs in Melbourne.....I know a Kashmir white one I saw at Hanging rock one time. Two Lone O Ranger's ....I hope they come....

I believe one of them is a 69....may have the lovable steering wheel....?

I believe that particular car was spotted driving around the North Essendon / Strathmore neighborhood last year...?

#16 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

I'm confused. Are we talking steering wheel or band? I was under the impression all lc gtr had the hk type? Rare spares sells this steering wheel as HK/LC GTR. What other variations were there?

#17 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

Jacob some had the black vinyl band not timber band

#18 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Selling them as HK / LC GTR has just recently occurred after advice from this Forum, previously we sold then as only HK.

Les

#19 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

How recent we talking les? I'm thinking at least a couple of years. But despite that, I'm still surprised it was not exactly common knowledge. In fact I had to prove this to a few holden nuts by showing them the website on the rarespares website.

So was it just the band colour between hk and lc or the dimensions of the wheel? Did LC GTR have any other style wheel ?

#20 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

we the forum covered this about 6 years ago.

no lc gtr did not have another style wheel

pantah

Bazza can't make it this year.......Too bad

How about John Gong...? coming?

sorry mate i hope to travel with the toranas one day but for now im committed to kids and there sports.

but i will say in this pic here

DSC_1034-1.jpg

it put my theory to bed about the gold and black dash combo with the Steering wheel

les

Selling them as HK / LC GTR has just recently occurred after advice from this Forum, previously we sold then as only HK.

Les

if i had a antique gold dash in a 69 gtr, i would be buying one of these bad boys.

cheers gong

#21 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

After the last few posts now I'm confused.

Are you guys saying that LC GTRs only ever got the timber steering wheel ?

Les' problem is that the parts catalogues say that only the black HT/HG GTS wheel was fitted, which would make sense because the LC was released several months after the HT & they shared many parts. Les wants to list these correctly.

To my knowledge it was only some '69 GTR got the timber wheel, so it was assumed that these were left over HK stocks that were used up until they went over to the black wheel.

My recollection of that era (& I worked on these in 70/71 when they were new), was that they had the black wheel.

Is that how you guys see it.

Dr Terry

#22 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

^^^ Agree Dr Terry

Imitation wood grain plastic rim wheel for beginning of LC GTR production in '69 and changed to the black vinyl rim HT wheel sometime later in '69.

Apparently most motoring journo's back in the day commented on the GTR's anachronistic imitation woodgrain steering wheel.

Cheers

Dave.

#23 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I'm confused too. If we know they shared the same wheel, and rare spares has listed it as such, why is this question being posed? Or are we trying to figure out the colour of the band specifically?

#24 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

judgelj

I changed the description earlier this month

#25 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

Oh wow that is recent. Fair enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic