kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:54 PM

G'Day,
The other day I come across this add........

"A rare 4 cylinder overhead cam factory model 1800 cc (Victor/Bedford) engine. Body very straight, original colour, only minor rust. Little work needed for WOF. Recent headwork to engine and cambelt replaced. Comes with Holden workshop manual.
Model ID; LC82869M. Reference, GMH Identification manual shows this as "Torana LC Deluxe 4 door 4 cyl with 1600, 1800 OHC manual. Diff ratio, 3.89.
Wheels (magazine) Road test of October 1972 page 60 indicates...."from 30 to 60 mph, the OHC was up to 2 seconds quicker than the 2250 six".
Posted Image

They want $1200 for it.

Were there many of this model? Are they rare? I am not up with the play on my LC's so just thought I would check and ask a bit more about them. I suppose for $1200 you would get a lot of parts anyway.

Edited by kudu, 05 July 2006 - 08:57 PM.

#2 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:26 PM

My Elsie is one of those but auto. Apart from that I cant help u, but 2 secs quicker will b a bonus for the 4 banger.

Posted Image

this one has been resprayed, was white. has the red interior. Very hard 2 get used to this combo. We paid $500. Had been left under an oak tree for 5years, uncovered, which is hard 2 understand as they had it fully resprayed. :fool:

ps thats me on the right, b4 I cut all my hair off.

#3 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:05 PM

I thought the LC had the Vauxhall 1200 push rod or the Opel 1600 OHC.
The later layed over towards the passenger side.
the LJ only had the Opel four.
The Opel with the 4 spd was vert quick but heavy on fuel, wouldn't have thought it was faster than 6 but maybe, the Opel was an absolute mongrel to take motor
out or put back.
My middle daughter had one as first car.

#4 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

it would be fun with a snail hanging on to the motor.................

#5 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:43 AM

Hi Guys.

There were no Opel motors used in HB/LC/LJ/TA 4 Cyl Toranas, they were all Vauxhall.

The original HBs were 1200 (actually 1159 cc), these carried thru to the LC & LJ. During LJ they became 1300 (1256 cc) & this was carried thru to the TA.

In mid 1971 the 4 Cyl Deluxe model was introduced to replace the SL 4 Cyl. The engine used in the Deluxe was the 1600 (1599 CC) OHC Vauxhall 'Slant' 4 Cyl, which is the little brother to the 2 Litre slant 4 Cyl used in the Bedford CF van. prior to the 6 Cyl Holden version. Partway thru the LJ series the 1600 OHC was replaced by the similar, larger 1760 (1759 cc) OHC & this was carried over to the TA. Likewise all the manual gearboxes were also Vauxhall sourced.

The only Opel engines or gearboxes seen in any Holdens are the Opel M20 4-speed seen in HR/HK/HT/HG/LC & the 1900 motor used in the LH/LX/UC Toranas & Sunbirds.

Dr Terry.

#6 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:07 AM

i heard those little ohc motors they used to put in some of the early toranas make great cray pot ankers :rockon:

#7 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:21 PM

Hi Guys.

No, they're too light, Ford Clevelands are much better for that usage.

Dr Terry.

#8 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:38 PM

i heard those little ohc motors they used to put in some of the early toranas make great cray pot ankers :rockon:

The opel gearbox also makes for a very nice boat anchor ;)

I had an HK with 4 on the floor and yes you guessed it Opel box. It actually peformed very well speed wise.
Not only could I blow the gears in it but during my last session I created a hairline crack completely around the box. (Spirited takeoffs, ie I launched it)
My solution was to fill the box with STP and quickly trade it in before it leaked out.

The used car dealer complimented me on having such a nice smooth changing gearbox and gave me top dollar.

Cheers
Herne

#9 _finer70_

_finer70_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:27 PM

The opel box in the 4 cyl was a totally different beast to that used in the 6 cyl Holdens.

#10 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

Hi finer70

This is my point precisely. Myths that continue to prosper.

What 'Opel' box are you talking about. The only Opel gearbox used in Holdens was fitted (optionally) behind 6 cylinder motors in HK, HT, HG & LC.

Are you talking about the Vauxhall boxes in HB/LC/LJ/TA 4 cylinder cars or the GM-Philipines (Torquemaster) box in the LH/LX/UC etc 4/6 cylinders.

There is no '4 Cyl' Opel gearbox in Holdens.

Dr Terry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users