fire extinguisher LX hatch

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 _whitey355_

_whitey355_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

gday fellas, just wondering who has installed a fire extinguisher into an lx hatch and where abouts would be the best location for it. cheers

wayno

#2 _Mint_

_Mint_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

i have wayno an probably the best and easiest place to get at in an emergancy is the passenger side kick panel

myinterior003.jpg

Edited by Mint Julip, 27 January 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

Mine was attached to the passengers kick panel

The other was attached to the floor directly infront of the drivers seat so was easy accessible and your legs don't get in the way

#4 _whitey355_

_whitey355_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

thanks guys ill go ahead with that then. cheers for the pic too, ill make it a solid setup like yours. thanks again

wayno

#5 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

Mine's at the back under the floor, not quite as accessible but not too bad and I figure a lot better than none.

#6 _DIAMOND GAZZA_

_DIAMOND GAZZA_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

I notice a lot of the forum members have fire extinguishers in their toranas. Do you expect them to catch fire, or is it a law that you need them?

#7 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

No we carry em so when stumbling across "Other makes N models" that are burning on the side of highway we can do the decent thing and stop, lend a hand... Thankfully it's mainly those nasty things with blue oval badges attached that seem to go up in smoke, Maybe everybody just stands back and let those kind burn......

#8 _DIAMOND GAZZA_

_DIAMOND GAZZA_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

Ha ha, alrighty then. ;)

#9 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

More and more these days I see the Torana as being basically irreplaceable, there's no reason whatsoever that it would catch fire by itself but then again I'd hate to watch it go up in smoke for want of a cheap extinguisher. Also general use and a little bit of the above, I do the odd bit of drag racing and out of town trips every now and then. I got two for the price of one when I bought one for the shed (where things do tend to catch fire occasionally) so thought I'd put it somewhere sensible.

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

Best place to reach it is just on the LHS of the trans tunnel IMO, but some people probably don't like the look.
1174576_10151771230801548_1770330174_n.j

#11 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

I would like to install one as well but I have been afraid of adding to the potential defect factor.

My reason for the hesitation is that back in the good old days, you could be defected for a dangly on you rear view mirror (yeah I know cars now have the front window plastered with GPS's, phones, note pads and permit/entry stickers). To have anything mounted in the passenger or drivers foot well or under dash was also naughty i.e. extinguishers/equalizers/CB radios (remember them).

I wonder what the stance is in this respect now?

#12 _whitey355_

_whitey355_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

cheers 76hatch, basically in my opinion these old cars should have one. for others safety and my own. if something was to go up, at least i can do something about it and save my pride n joy. i like that spot too heath. hmmm decisions now! thanks for the help fellas.

wayno

@thabaron, my old mans got one mounted next to drivers seat and his mate is a pit inspector in WA and they said they dont mind at all in the older cars as long as its mounted properly and does not obstruct with driving the car or using anything on the car. eg, foot pedals, handbrakes etc. something like this is safe for everyone so thumbs up from the pit inspectors. but tha boys in blue will say anything they like. good or bad. end of the day the inspectors honestly dont like tha boys in blue, due to giving them rediculous defects days on end. cheers

Edited by whitey355, 30 January 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#13 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

I put mine here. Instantly available and hopefully never needed.

Attached Files

#14 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

cheers 76hatch, basically in my opinion these old cars should have one. for others safety and my own. if something was to go up, at least i can do something about it and save my pride n joy. i like that spot too heath. hmmm decisions now! thanks for the help fellas.

wayno

@thabaron, my old mans got one mounted next to drivers seat and his mate is a pit inspector in WA and they said they dont mind at all in the older cars as long as its mounted properly and does not obstruct with driving the car or using anything on the car. eg, foot pedals, handbrakes etc. something like this is safe for everyone so thumbs up from the pit inspectors. but tha boys in blue will say anything they like. good or bad. end of the day the inspectors honestly dont like tha boys in blue, due to giving them rediculous defects days on end. cheers

Thanks for the reply.

#15 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

I done the same as Rexy, mounted in between the seats, I've so far used two extinguishers from that spot :-)

#16 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

If you have no console I agree its the easiest access place to mount one. As I have a console I have mounted mine on the passenger side kick panel. I did initially have mine mounted on the side of the console but eventually it broke it with the vibration from the worked engine lol. Not recommended.

Edited by LHSL308, 04 February 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#17 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:35 PM

Have also been thinks where to mount this red devil. Thinking maybe a quick spay job (Black) with some silver stickers that match the dash. Place it in the passenger kick panel. With the sticker I was thinking (Emergency Exit) or (Emergency Handbrake) or (Emergency Whoop Ass Carby Fed). Any ideas ? Being no law on having one in your car, painting my own property shouldn't be a problem. Maybe leave the relevant info on it ?    Ray

#18 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:17 AM

If you're gonna paint it, paint it blue...

NOS-Extinguisher.jpg

#19 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

Cheap insurance to have one. Anywhere is better than not having one. One of our club members saved his car from total destruction because he had one handy. I've had smoke come out from under the steering column when a wire rubbed through to earth. I've also noticed that the fuel line and pump are awfully close to the alternator on LX/LH V8's. So you have high potential there for a fire.

#20 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:19 AM

Was trying to match the interior lol. Is that ford blue Andrew ? Think I already have enough New Old Stock in my car lol.

#21 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:22 AM

Hey Steve, is that a EH Special in your profile pick ?

#22 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:17 AM

I had an engine backfire years ago which spewed fuel through the air cleaner top, if it was not for a taxi stopping with an extinguisher, my car would have burnt to the ground. Never leave home without one now, at the base of my seat for quick access!

#23 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:06 AM

I put mine here. Instantly available and hopefully never needed.

The only problem with the install in your pics rexy is the fact that it is backwards. Any scrutineer would pick you for that and tell you to have the base facing the front of the car. The clamping system won't hold the extinguisher in a sudden stop (read crash) the way you have it.

Oh, and by the way.........that car is disgusting!!!!! :D

#24 koalasprint

koalasprint

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LX SS Hatch

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:53 AM

Hey Steve, is that a EH Special in your profile pick ?

Yes, but not mine. Long story but koala sprint, the hand, Holdens and midnight oil all go back a long way.

#25 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:29 AM

Only had one fire, XB two door back fired through the carby. Lucky a passer bye stopped with there extinguisher or it would have burn to the ground.  Ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users