#1 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

I had a discussion with a work mate today about the 4 door Monaro and how he believed they actually weren't Monaro,s   at all ,I believe the HXGTS and the HJGTS were badged Monaro and are even identified as Monaros on the ID plate HZGTS are just that a GTS.Funny he believes the LE's  were Monaro's but no where on the LE it has Monaro ID,interested in any thoughts .Paul. 

#2 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

4 door was GTS, 2 door was Monaro. Everyone knows that... at least everyone worth talking to. :driving:

#3 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

I thought the 4 doors were still monaro's and badged so

But i'm no expert

#4 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Wanta-be Monaro's, real Monaros were 2 door the others were GTS's im my book.

#5 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Holden built them.

Holden put Monaro badges on them.

But what the frOck would they know ?

I get my knowledge from drunken bogans down at the pub.

Truth is where you find it.

#6 Talking Toranas

Talking Toranas

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:1977 Absinth Yellow LX SLR 5000, 1977 Flamenco Red LX SLR 5000 A9X

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

I have a GTS/4 we rebuilt it to as close as showroom as we could. It came out of the factory with a Monaro badge on it.

That's good enough for me.

#7 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Funny he believes the LE's  were Monaro's but no where on the LE it has Monaro ID,interested in any thoughts .Paul. 

HX LE's were never badged a Monaro - why? who knows

580 made from left over shells from the HQ HJ runs

They were sold as a HX Limited Edition  - basically a two door statesman 

#8 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

The HQ SS Kingswood was not a Monaro, but people still call it the SS Monaro, any part on ebay that's from a Kingswood that will fit a Monaro model is a Monaro part on the add on ebay lol.

HJ 4-Door Monaro's are Monaro's for sure

Edited by xu2308, 20 February 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#9 Talking Toranas

Talking Toranas

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

Now the HQ SS was based on a Belmont body, with arm rests basically. No Kingswood at all. If I knew how to put up pictures I would for you. HQ SS my favourite car.

#10 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Now the HQ SS was based on a Belmont body, with arm rests basically. No Kingswood at all. If I knew how to put up pictures I would for you. HQ SS my favourite car.

HQ SSs didn't get armrests as standard kit, they were an optional extra.

Dr Terry

#11 _Trentm_

_Trentm_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

HQ-HX are Monaro GTS, HZ are GTS only. From memory HX LE's were all left over 2 door shells from the HJ series that GMH dressed up in limited edition numbers as GM H put it in order to flog them off ASAP.

#12 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

HQ-HX are Monaro GTS, HZ are GTS only. From memory HX LE's were all left over 2 door shells from the HJ series that GMH dressed up in limited edition numbers as GM H put it in order to flog them off ASAP.

A common misquote. Could you imagine how much storage space 600 odd fully built coupe body shells would use up ?

What they had was an excess of the panels which are unique to the coupe body style, e.g. turrets, rear quarters, doors etc. etc.

They built the bodies as required during LE production, which actually used HX firewalls, not HJ.

I'm probably being a tad pedantic, but you now how myths are born.

Dr Terry 

#13 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

It isn't a myth Terry, the shells were built as HJ bodies in white (bare steel with protectective coating). The firewalls were cut out and changed to HX firewalls when the LE design dragged out for so long and HX rolled around. A close look at an LE in its undies will reveal the firewall change, plus the Pagewood firewall numbers are so erratic and out of whack with chassis numbers on LE's that you start to see the complications and delays with them. There are also big holes in HJ firewall numbers (I think it is late 1975) possibly explained by the missing HJ coupe shell firewalls. Where they were stored we have yet to work out. I know the maintenace foreman from the Pagewood plant and he doesn't remember where they all were. He does remember large volumes being built and a cold snap one night smashed lots of rear screens on the completed cars out n the weather.

Edit - Beat you by one minute Col!

Edited by yel327, 20 February 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#14 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

just when you need him....yel327?....where you hiding?

#15 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Agree, HJ-HX GTS sedans are Monaro GTS's, HZ are GTS although I think there are owner's manuals around with Monaro on them. HQ GTS sedan and HQ GTS350 sedan are not a separate model like a HJ-HZ Monaro GTS sedan, they are a special vehicle option package (XV4 and XW8) on a HQ V8 Kingswood just like a HQ Sandman is a special vehicle package option (XX7) on a Belmont or Kingswood. Difference is the Sandman wore Belmont or Kingswood badges, whereas the HQ GTS sedan was meant to be seen as a separate model like a HX-HZ Sandman and wors no badges from the vehicle it was based upon.

#16 _UCLX_

_UCLX_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

All 4 door gts except hz were badged monaro.

My dear old dad had 5 of them in succession.

73 & 74 hq

75 & 76 hj

76 or early 77 hx, I don't remember the actual year.

The hx was very thirsty, and got sold within the first month.

He kept the 76 hj, which hadn't yet been sold, until approximately 1995.

I briefly (2 years) owned the 73 one. It was purrpull with white paint outs on the bonnet & boot.

Cheers,

Daryl.

#17 _1072_

_1072_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

So myss427 are all 4 door GT Falcons 'wanabe GTs' And only 2 door GTs are real GTs

#18 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

It isn't a myth Terry, the shells were built as HJ bodies in white (bare steel with protectective coating). The firewalls were cut out and changed to HX firewalls when the LE design dragged out for so long and HX rolled around. A close look at an LE in its undies will reveal the firewall change, plus the Pagewood firewall numbers are so erratic and out of whack with chassis numbers on LE's that you start to see the complications and delays with them. There are also big holes in HJ firewall numbers (I think it is late 1975) possibly explained by the missing HJ coupe shell firewalls. Where they were stored we have yet to work out. I know the maintenace foreman from the Pagewood plant and he doesn't remember where they all were. He does remember large volumes being built and a cold snap one night smashed lots of rear screens on the completed cars out n the weather.

Edit - Beat you by one minute Col!

Leo Pruneau told me that a quantity of early LE were as you describe (converted HJs), but most were just panels in storage. Why in heaven's name would GM-H built 600 un-ordered coupe body shells & where do you put that many shells ?

Dr Terry

#19 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

"Despite the lack of a Monaro badge, Holden were unwilling to let the legend lapse, and just like the HX LE Coupe, the GTS Sedan was, at least to our mind, very much a member of the prestigous Monaro family "

http://www.uniquecar...n_hz_monaro.htm

#20 Talking Toranas

Talking Toranas

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

You are dead right my good Dr.

Funny thing is all 3 of the ones I have, have the arm rests. I went and checked. Could be later they stuck them on or ordered at the time.

#21 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

Leo Pruneau told me that a quantity of early LE were as you describe (converted HJs), but most were just panels in storage. Why in heaven's name would GM-H built 600 un-ordered coupe body shells & where do you put that many shells ?

Dr Terry

It is Leo who maintains that the bodies were built, and other evidence has come to light on it. Where they put them is a bit of a mystery that is not yet solved. I'll talk to you more aboutit next time I see you.

#22 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

nooooo. lets talk about it now , i love  a good mystery.

:D

#23 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

Where were all the LE Monaro's built, that would be a clue where they were, one would think

#24 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

All HJ onwards coupes and Statesmans were Pagewood. We think we know where they were stored, but only have one witness account so far.

Remember coupe body production ceased before the end of Feb 1976, so any HJ coupes still in the schedule would get built using already completed bodies but the 2 x models were discontinued on 1/3/76. The LE was supposed to be HJ special vehicle package option code A8Q added to the HJ Production Option Availability documents on 22/12/75. The LE prototype is an 11/75 HJ GTS. We think the LE bodies were produced about this time, and firewalls changed maybe when HX sheetmetal was available in April 1976. There was also at least 1 x HJ GTS coupe shell in spare parts in late 1980, possibly more so at least one got kept plus possibly one converted to HX got kept too as there is a part number for a HX coupe shell with a part number earlier than the rest of the HX range spare part shells.

Unfortunately John Bagshaw is gone now, RIP, but he would have known exactly what/where and why the HJ LE was delayed into HX. Maybe they simply didn't want 580+ of these hanging around into a new HX model release? If that was the case they were wise as there were V2III GTS-R's hanging around into VZ release which were hard to shift. 

#25 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

interesting how some ,now desireable cars, were almost impossible to shift back in the day.
Unless my memory fails me, I can still recall the local Holden Dealer in Newcastle city, had a few Walkinshaws that were there on the showroom floor for that long they were up for long service leave!!.
I have a funny recollection that they were 42k when released, but were HEAPS discounted after many months....make that many many many months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users