HDT166

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:Lx 2 door, VC HDT

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Ok my lx ls1 conversion is almost done and I have been offered one of 2 supercharger set ups.
Harrop htv1900. Or vortech v1. . Now I haven't even driven it with ls1 yet and I'm torn between leaving just ls1 or chucking on super charger. I'm building this car as a cruiser and was hoping to get it all engineered so no hassle from la policia . Any one out there got any advice, I always wanted a supercharged car but the grown up inside is reminding me of the hassle of yellow stickers. I don't want to have to tub the rear end and I want it to still be turn key go reliable . Supercharger noise is replaying in my head!

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Votec if at all

Keep it all under the bonnet and less hassles

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

You cannot register an LS1 with forced induction in a Torana.

In WA under the NCOP assuming that in the best case scenario the WA DPI accepts that the heavist Torana is the A9X at 1306 kg. A forced induction performance engine installation (code LA2) is limited to around 4.0L and naturally aspirated performance engine installation is limited to around 6.5L.

The NCOP does allow fitting forced induction to a optional factory engine under code LA1 as long as the power increase is under 20%. In theory this makes a forced induction 308 based engine possible.

http://www.infrastru...1jan2011_v3.pdf

NCOP_EC.jpg

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 23 February 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#4 HDT166

HDT166

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

That's what I'm worried about. At least with the harrop I can just swap manifolds over for pits.

#5 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

With the right set up you won't need the charger anyway. Would be great for looks, but for a cruiser you can set it up to do all the fun things NA.

Good luck with your choice

#6 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

As Grant says you can get plenty of legal grunt with the right mods.

That's what makes the Gen 3 so popular.

#7 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

It would be worth finding out what the penalties are in WA if you were caught.

It would also be worth finding out what effect it would have on the state third party insurance and your comprehensive insurance if you were involved in an accident.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 23 February 2014 - 08:27 PM.

#8 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:33 AM

Given the choice of having it legal 6l or bigger would be the way to go.

Correct cam to suit,shaved heads to up the comp car will still be docile enough to be daily driven or if set up properly for racing quick enough to require a rollcage with people cracking 10sec timeslips in heavier cars.

One good thing if you do go supercharger route is lot easier to just do manifold change & pass t again lol.

Prefer the harrop over vortech,instant boost is right there whereas vortech requires revs.

#9 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:16 AM

Some of you blokes are old bloody women.

Cross the tees...dot the eyes...You're worse that the beaurocrats that invent these fanciful regulations.

A bit of civil disobedience against our pointless registration restrictions is a good thing.

Live on the edge, Aaron.

Bolt it on.

You are dead a long bloody time.

#10 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

I would like to have a,supercharger on the LS1 I am putting in my LX however the engineer said it is not allowed. 

Don't need one but would like to have a supercharged engine in something. Am sure I will be very happy with the performance of my naturally aspirated LS1 

When I was a 1st year apprentice one of the other guys in my year at TAFE had a hot commodore and crashed into a very expensive car.

As his mods were not approved he was not covered by his insurance. That was 20 years,ago so he has probably paid it off by now.

#11 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

As said you'll have more than enough hp for a cruiser with an un-opened ls1. Iv got a LS1/T56/4.11's out of a VX clubby in my HX ute & all it's got done to it is a mail-order maffless tune based on the GTS 300kw car & that lights them up in 3rd without even dropping the clutch.

Iv also got a LS1 with a intercooled Harrop 112 blower that's going in my torana....bits that's because I like going fast.....real fast.

Cheers, Nig.

#12 HDT166

HDT166

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

Some great advice from every one, but it is playing out just like in my head! Every one is making sense! My arse always pucker when I see cops! But super charger noise is just soooo hot!

#13 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

500hp with a cam, ported heads and a few other goodies.

And reasonable economy as well.

Why would you need more in a 1200 - 1300 kilo vehicle ?

#14 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

Why would you need more in a 1200 - 1300 kilo vehicle ?

....because you can. That roots type blower whine is so addictive, I used to change up a gear to really load it up & scream past bus stops or people standing there & you can almost hear their necks snap as they turn to see what the hell was that haha.

But as I said it'l be more than enough with the un-opened LS1.

Cheers, Nig.

#15 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

go see Eddy at Active Autos in Canningvale.  Wont need a blower when he is done!

#16 _Blackxu1_

_Blackxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

I'd go the harrop it makes power instantly where the v1 you gradually make power

#17 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

Some of you blokes are old bloody women.

Cross the tees...dot the eyes...You're worse that the beaurocrats that invent these fanciful regulations.

A bit of civil disobedience against our pointless registration restrictions is a good thing.

Live on the edge, Aaron.

Bolt it on.

You are dead a long bloody time.

:iagree: Never a truer word.

Now if your going to cut donut's and act like a complete idiot and put others in danger then you deserve to go to jail.

But Christ almighty I am way too old and I am just sick of all the nanny BS.

So what if you have an 8 litre supercharged BB in an 800kg car as long as everything like brakes, tyres etc match then go for it - well that's what I say.

I have lost dozens of very good mates way too young to cancer to worry about all the stupid nanny crap that some people waffle on about. Its like if you don't do it via the rule book, then you might just as well walk down the mall with a gun and kill everyone you passed.

You are just a Criminal that is not fit to live in society ...... if your car has a few extra cubes over the legal limit. ........ LOL

Common Sense is all that's needed. Almost every cop that pulls me over is 2.5 - 3x younger than me ..... so at times its bloody hard not to clip him over the ears if he says something stupid.

LONG LONG LONG TIME DEAD. (not wrong)

Edited by LXSS350, 25 February 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#18 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:50 AM

Getting a defect is just a little inconvenient.

The question is what happens if you are involved in an accident?

Insurance policies typically include clauses that state the vehicle must be registered and road worthy. If the vehicle can not be legally registered then is this enough to give either the compulsory government third party insurer or your third party property damage insurer the option to refuse a claim?

If either insurer can refuse a claim then you need to decide if it is worth putting all your assets on the line.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 26 February 2014 - 02:54 AM.

#19 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

If either insurer can refuse a claim then you need to decide if it is worth putting all your assets on the line.

Wrap yourself up in cotton wool and dont leave your house, for if you breathe who knows what could happen to you.

Your dead right they should put you before the firing squad for not doing everything by the book. You deserve to be castrated for not following the rules right down to dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Like all car enthusiasts those who dont do this are all hoons, outlaws and anti social scumbags.

#20 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Iv been a criminal ever since I got my licence, I'm sure of it.

Ever since they stopped making leaded petrol about 10yrs ago I've secretly been putting unleaded in all of my cars & I've never bothered to fit a catylitic converter...... I'm pretty sure that the law states somewhere that any car running un-leaded fuel must have a working catylitic converter fitted....shhhh don't tell on me.

Cheers, Nig.

#21 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

Think that's only post 1986 ish? Or if you've put a later model (post 86?) engine in.

#22 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

LOL

Your going to have to become Big Bubba's cell play-thing for a few years.

That might teach you a lesson for being such a misfit of Australian Society.

No doubt for destroying the ozone the greens will want you castrated and your body parts put on the Harbour Bridge to send a message that breaking the rules will not be tolerated in Australia.

We are sick of loose cannons ruining this country by not following the rules right down to the last decimal point. :stirpot:

I don't have a permit for any of my mods and with some of the cars putting out over 1000rwhp and 1200kg and being litres of the NCOP limit I guess I should be in jail with bubba as well LOL.

At my age I feel like I am 18yo again and am taking a big risk by driving around with rims that are 1" over track.

Hell I am driving with 4" over legal rim width now.

Too funny.

#23 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

I hear what your saying LXSS350, but it's up to everyone to make their own choice. As long as you can sleep at night that's all that matters. I have tried to keep my Build inside the guidelines and have stretched the truth where I can. But that's a risk I take. It's not for everyone.

Hope you don't hit anyone and come unstuck! ( me too for that matter )

#24 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:27 AM

These are once a month cars (if time prevails) and if they are to be driven in anger I hire Wannaroo round up my mates and blow out some cobwebs. I am way too old for street racing, but not too old to dive into a corner fast enough that my scrotum retracts like a scared turtle.

Improving a car so it can lap faster is the one joy I get in life. What most here do to their cars is what I did many decades ago and that holds no interest. Drag racing also has never held any interest to me, I would rather see if its possible to put a KERS system on a Torana which would be interesting. I have seen all the other stuff done hundreds of times.

Edited by LXSS350, 27 February 2014 - 01:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users