Photo

Castlemain/Waddintons - Steer clear, pack of idiots.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#1 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Car:LH SLR5000

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

If you know whats good for you steer clear of these idiots.

i don't know who they are run by or what their game is but even getting something as simple as a bolt pattern right on a engine mount is a challenge, welding skills are very questionable and the way they have made the pick-up tube for the LS sump is almost criminal... welding dags and swarf hanging ready to kill oil pump at every join.

After Waiting 4 months for a front end, engine mounts etc, then being forced to buy their overpriced sump because there is f all clearance to work with... AND IT ALL DOES NOT FIT TOGETHER.

A phone conversation with them is like an book of excuses and i duuno's, bolts missing from kits, it takes them 2 weeks to post you a parts that are "leaving today".

Now they are trying to slap band aids on the problem that will not work leaving me no other choice but to modify and fix the god dang problem my f'ing self if i every want to get the car finished before i'm too old to drive it.

Now after enough was enough and speaking to management and telling him how i felt and demanding to know what went wrong and why this over priced shit does not fit together... they finally admit they #@$^%& up the crossmember.... but still want me to reposition the engine with different mounts to make it clear.

Steer clear of these idiots, they don't deserve your hard earned, if you have another option for a part go with it, quiet frankly if you have the skills with a welder equivalent to a chicken shitting you could just make the part yourself and do a better job in 1/10th of the time.

What a bunch of jokers !

#2 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

well i'll add to that,i recieved my outer sill for my lj torana only to find out it has 2 lines running through the sill,from one end to the other,so i told them it was rubbish and who checks there shit after making it,they have said they give me a full refund,thats its it .no sorry for stuffing me around or anything,i have asked them for another but to no reply,they also want me to return it at a cost to me.so that will be 110 ive lost for postage.they are very ignorant and dont give 2 f@#ks about their customers,i have no choice but to keep the piece of shit and try to get lines out.if they treat all their customers like that well i reckon sucked in the bad publicity they get,

Maz

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 26 February 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#3 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

I have been doing this hotrod/restoration thing for a very long time and in my experience 98% of businesses in this industry are pretty much as useless as t#ts on a bull. I would be lucky to name 5 businesses that I could say you will not have an issue with.

I thought I had used Waddintons but it was an inquiry not a purchase.

So I will take note of what you have said.

#4 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

How can people run a business like that and still make money .....

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Well CRS did go into recievership.....Waddingtons purchased it with grand plans to fix the issues.....

#6 Oversteer

Oversteer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Car:LH SLR5000

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

What makes it worse is the attitude of the "management" dude Heath(iirc) .... he did not give 2 shits about the problem and it seems i was annoying him with my effort to get something i can use....for my $5500+ i had spent ! He even at one point took the time to mention that he had send me another set of engine mounts(which i still have not seen for almost 2 weeks) with-out charge to try get it to fit.... like he wanted to be thanked for making any sort of effort to solve the issue.

I had to insist on knowing WHY the shit did not fit and tell him "would it not be a good idea to actually work out why this all doesn't work rather than band aiding shit to get it to work with-out knowing the cause"....that is when he out of frustration spat out that the cross member was made wrong with-out a scallop to clear sump !

Irony also is that when i ordered the kit i spoke to the sales guy and mentioned that there had been some issues with the front end in torana's...specifically not clearing engine/sump combo`s that they say are supposed to fit..... even told the guy there was a post on gmh-torana.com.au where dramas abounded! Of course i was assured that that was an early version that had been redesigned and all issues sorted.

.... I took the angle  grinder and cut a 35x35mm scallop into the crossmember the arvo...then lowered the engine onto it, and ffs the back edge of the crossmember all the way to the bottom of the sump is hard up against the crossmember now it goes down enough to sit on the engine mounts. Just bloody awesome...now not only do i have to re-work/fab the crossmember...but also move the engine back on the mounts to get a little clearance.

All this is stopping me doing any trial fit of engine, cross and T56 to start cutting tunnel to suit while the car sits up on a rotisserie.

Arrrrrgh.

#7 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

I'll add my 2c, got some door skins for my lx hatch after being assured they will be perfect, first thing was the hole for the lock was out by 15mm, looks like they measured to edge of hole instead of centre. The top edge that sits flat along the edge of the window rubber was folded at totally the wrong angle. The pressing for the door handle was also not the same as original. On a positive note they did replace them for me and the new ones are better but still the pressing for the handle is not correct. Now after being assured they have originals to copy off and they will be perfect etc I was left a little disappointed. But as I said they did replace the first set so they at least attempted to rectify the issue so can't complain too much about the customer service.
But like oversteer said, who is making these and who is letting the stuff out the door. If your selling a premium product at a premium price it really should be a premium product.

Edited by tuxedoss, 26 February 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#8 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Gees I must be one of the lucky ones then.  I just purchased a speedo corrector for a T700 and it works perfectly.  And the service was proffesional too. Lucky me I guess :-)

Nothing worse than poor service, but as said above, a good percentage of the trade don't give a rats ar@e any more!  Glad I am still not in it.

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Yet they jump on a current affair and the like and winge and bitch there business is going overseas. 

Generally even China gets shit to fit. 

Cheers. 

#10 350mick

350mick

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:Lx Torana

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

Does anybody know of a shop that would be able to make a subframe that works and is legal for road use?

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

There maybe some fitting issues from car to combo but there is absolutely no excuse for poor workmanship.

How can you even let something go out the door that is sub standard.
FMD it is not hard to achieve a satisfactory outcome when you follow correct procedures.

#12 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

This is a real shame. When CRS was still owned by Rod you were always able to get him on the phone. He was always very helpful.
I bought lots of stuff from him over the years and never had a problem.

#13 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

Yep gone severely downhill since he sold the place.

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

^ he got out while the going was good.

#15 _NewsuxLX_

_NewsuxLX_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

This worries me very much as i have s set of hatch door skins from waddingtons hangin on the wall waiting for my hatch, but i bumped into a guy at the ballarat swapmeet who said the skins are crap which sort of ruined my day:(

#16 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

I got a waddingtons drivers door skin with no lock hole so there was obviously no issue with it's location.  The radius on the top edge is wrong though and the weatherstrip will not line up against the glass properly by a long way if left like that - I am hoping I can massage it into shape properly with a hammer and block of wood but yeah a little annoyed.

#17 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Everything I have bought has been modified or throw in the bin. Last time I rang them about a gearbox crossmember and was told to cut it and re weld it so I throw it in the bin. I'm thinking of trying them again for Torana/Toyota 1jz mounts.

#18 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

My crossmember took over 3 weeks to come from CAE... so its not just CRS

My mates LS1/T56 conversion kit from CRS went back 4 or 5 times before they got it somewhere close to right

#19 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Have a look in my build thread for their "quality" work.

Never again.....

#20 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

gee the list is getting bigger everytime i look.time will tell how long they stay open .

Edited by madtoranajzedded, 27 February 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#21 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Everything I have bought has been modified or throw in the bin. Last time I rang them about a gearbox crossmember and was told to cut it and re weld it so I throw it in the bin. I'm thinking of trying them again for Torana/Toyota 1jz mounts.

How many times are you gunna slam your balls with a hammer before you figure out where the pain comes from?

#22 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

If i do it will the 4th time. The only reason i have been thinking about buying from them again is they are building LC 1JZ at the moment.

#23 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

gee the list is getting bigger everytime i look.time will tell how long they stay open .

They have been building shit for a very long time and the doors are still open. When Rod Hatfield own the business and you rang complaining he would start screaming at you intil you hung up the phone, he was a prick who was always right.

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

If i do it will the 4th time. The only reason i have been thinking about buying from them again is they are building LC 1JZ at the moment.

Have you seen the picks of it?

The engine is sitting no where near where it should be. 

Cheers. 

#25 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

they cant even get a 308 in an LX in the right spot, how do you think they'll go with a 1JZ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users