Avg cost to rebuild a Torana

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 _Dee_

_Dee_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Hey people I'm new to this forum and I've been in love with Torana's ever since my sisters ex boyfriend would pick us up in his SLR when I was in year 3(15 years ago). I have been looking to get a good LH or LX Torana with a straight body but with a lot of mileage under her. I just wanted to see how much on average it would cost to get the bodykit with the flares etc, the paint job with the black bonnet and linings, and a whole new engine placed into it so that the mileage would be reset. Was looking to get a 6 cylinder but one that would make everyone take notice of her. Don't know much about cars and engines so it would be done at a shop. If anyone could break down the prices of this it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

How long is a piece of string
anything to do with car rebuilding aint cheap

#3 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:31 AM

Correct the rebuild costs are endless
Expect to blow the budget big time
I would say a minimum of 30-50k providing you dont need alot of body work and thats an estimate seeing you wont be doing the work yourself
Its honestly cheaper to buy a tidy car thats had a decent resto done.
Get someone who knows toranas well (possibly a forum member) to come and inspect prior to purchase

#4 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:00 AM

As above at least 30k
Cheaper to buy one done unless you can do a fair bit yourself

#5 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

In my opinion. In the end it's best not to add up the total you've spent over the years. I myself don't want to know, but all hobbies cost something. And you don't want the household finance minister to know either.

#6 _parsons5000_

_parsons5000_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

hey Dee , try look around for something someone has spent hours and money on , i have spent around 50 restoring my car , 

#7 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

, and a whole new engine placed into it so that the mileage would be reset. 

This is not correct, mileage doesn't get 'reset' just because you fit another engine. Mileage is about the life of the car as a whole. You might replace the motor, but what about the gearbox, clutch, tailshaft & diff. What about wheel bearings, brakes & all of the front & rear suspension & steering parts. Then there all of the electricals, door hinges, door locks etc. All of these have a 'life' & that's what the age & speedometer reading is supposed to represent.

To answer your question regards cost of a rebuild, well it depends on how much you spend on each of those items that I listed above. Also I missed out on the biggest expense of all, body & trim, you can spend $20,000 to $25,000 (or more) on these 2 items alone. I've known people who have spent well over $100,000 on restoring a car (to original, not modified) so the sky is the limit.

You have to decide on not only your budget, but also what the use of the car is. Is it a daily driver, a weekend cruiser, a club race car, historic rego maybe, or an all out show car. If it's to be your daily driver, stop now & work out how much cheaper & more reliable it would be to get a cheap late model (OK boring) 4-cyl car & drive it while you tinker with your Torana properly while its off the road & spend your money wisely by learning to do a lot of the work yourself. Done properly you will get more satisfaction & save heaps of $$$.

Dr Terry

#8 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

The better you buy , the cheaper the rebuild , spending an extra five thousand for a car could save you ten thousand . If it's a first car , just get a reasonable one and add a few bolt ons under the bonnet .

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

As TBM say's spend your money up front and buy a nice clean 6cyl that does not a full rebuild.

If you want people to notice then fit louder mufflers to the car.
Very cheap effective way of attracting attention.

#10 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

My advise would be to shop around and buy something that you like that is already rebuilt /restored to your liking .....

Parts for these older cars are getting thin on the ground so trying to find replacement parts and panels is very hard and the cost of rebuilding a car is endless

I don't keep taps on how much I spent ....but if I had to guess I could of owned a big house in a rich area ???? but then I wouldn't own two SLR's

Keep it real and for your dreams .....

#11 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Take on someone's unfinished project that already has reasonable paint on it.
In 2005 I picked up the hatch for six and a half grand. Ran but didn't drive. Ok paint for me for a streeter. Finished it off and on road for under 10k.
Changed a few things since then.....

#12 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

I agree with Rexy. Buy something that has mostly been done and then personalise it yourself.  My last two builds were budget builds and both cars owe/d me around 35k including paint and driveline.  But I am a mechanic and have losts of contacts which helps a lot. My suggestion is to buy something that has had the panel and paint done to a decent standard for around 15-20k, then go to town as much as you have to spare :-)

#13 _Dee_

_Dee_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Wow I didn't know it would cost that much haha. I thought it might cost around 15k. I was way off. It might be better if I got a normal car that I could regularly drive around daily, and then later on I could get a Torana that has already been restored. Thanks for all the feedback on here. This was a massive help towards figuring out what I should do towards getting my own beast.

#14 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Dude, if you got the money for a half decent torana I'd get in now & just find a place for it up on stands & out of the weather, because the longer you hold off & wait, the more expensive & harder to find these cars will become. Trust me, I sold my 1st car which was a LH for $3k that was mint 10yrs ago, got older & wanted another one & I brought another LH 5yrs ago for $4.5k that wasn't even half as good, then while it was at a shop getting worked on I got offered $10k for it & I basically hadn't touched it. You get where I'm going with this long winded story...

Cheers, Nig.

#15 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

If I was you I would keep an eye out for something that's in your budget as these things are getting rare ...try to buy something complete and running to make your job easier and good luck with your project

#16 _Dee_

_Dee_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

I was thinking of getting one now to store away for a year and then starting to do work on it but as people are saying that it cost around 30-50k to get it going great then I'm thinking I might save up for a year and buy an already rebuilt Torana as that isn't in my price range. I will need a daily car so I might get something reliable like an Omega so that I can keep a Torana garaged if I end up buying one later on. But it's been so hard finding one in Sydney.

#17 _kane355_

_kane355_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

hi Darryl

ive got a nice torana for sale in the cars for sale section...

cheers

kane

#18 _Matvex_

_Matvex_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Take on someone's unfinished project that already has reasonable paint on it.
In 2005 I picked up the hatch for six and a half grand. Ran but didn't drive. Ok paint for me for a streeter. Finished it off and on road for under 10k.
Changed a few things since then.....

Rexy is spot on. I have done exactly the same but unfortunately I had to pay 2012 unfinished project prices.

#19 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

http://www.ebay.com....=item20e0e1eba3

http://www.ebay.com....=item3f31daa3f8

Hi Darryl

As the others have said spend the extra up front and it will save you money in the long run

They are still out there and you just have to be patient and have the cash ready to go when the time comes

The second of the two above is my pick  - yes it is expensive but look at what you dont have to spend and weigh it up against what you would have to doing a resto

You could buy that and not have to buy the second car

Do it up to how you want it without having a million bits laying round

Decent set of tyres and rims and you would start pulling chicks automatically

Just using it as an example - it may not be your colour and yes it is an auto

Welcome to the forum and dont be scared to ask the "silly" questions

#20 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Swarbs.....that looks like a mint condition white sedan ...you couldn't go wrong with that but I think it would be best saved as is .....

#21 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Yeah agree Kev

Hence the "just an example"  - nothing else available i could find

Just trying to get across the benifits of saving for the right car

If the gold coloured one had more photo's and checked out ok body wise etc  - perfect... as it is what he already wants

Not much to go on with the 1 pic though

#22 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

You don't have to spend the 30-50k, thats just what it might cost you to go a full resto, top paint job and new monster 6.

If you are patient you can probably find a nice restored replica for around the 15 k and then upgrade your motor, wheels, interior etc as funds become available.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. (Just a saying, I don't condone cat skinning)

#23 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

I love cats .....DEAD CATS

#24 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

Morning Dee,why don't you do what I did,I got the car and then gradually got a stock of what I needed for the resto,I had a stash of old stationary engines that I sold off to fund most of the cost,I also have a sepparate back account going for the car,I can only access it at the tellers desk,think it's 40 bucks a week which isn't missed and in 12 months you 2 k to play with.
If your not to mechanically minded I'm sure there is a basic course at tafe to get you started,and go from there,the knowledge of the members on this site is amazing and I'm sure if you need help and there are members near you they would come offer some advice
Phillip

#25 _Rod_

_Rod_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

There's a nice barbados green LX on e-bay like new

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users