No chassis number - QLD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _nowaynicko_

_nowaynicko_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hi guys and girls,

I have done some searching and not found what I am after. Sorry if this is a double up.

I am wondering if anyone has tried to rego a car (torry or otherwise) that is missing the chassis number.

I am in possession of a Torana  and it appears the panel has been ditched for rust repairs and I wasn't given it.

It has all the tags on the car, they have been off at some point though and have been painted.

A PPRS(?) check brings up nothing.

I am in talks with an engineer (good guy/helpful) and he mentioned police check and surrogate number.

Can anyone explain the process? I don't want to do anything dodgy but I really want this car regoed. 

Can chassis numbers be swapped? My guts is saying no but I want to make sure (I have a wrecked torana here unmolested).

Thanks in advance, Nicko

PS I can provide numbers off tags if necessary...its nothing special though

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

QLD DOT do not accept the VIN Plate ID number. They only accept the Chassis #.

#3 _nowaynicko_

_nowaynicko_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:33 AM

So I need to get a new number?

Have you had to get a surrogate number Hanra?

#4 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

No. But essentially the Chassis number is available on your ADR tag if its original to the car.

#5 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

I went through this process last year had no chassis number stamped applied for a surrogate number and transport said no you dont need one because its on the vin plate all i had to do was get a police check on the car to make sure it wasnt a vehicle of interest also make sure transport dont give you a form 5 years out of date what suburb are you located?

#6 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

VIN plate or ADR plate?

#7 _nowaynicko_

_nowaynicko_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

So I went and saw the nice people down at Main Roads after a chat to the engineer.

Sounds like it will be a cinch. I just need the engineers report and application for rego so I can get CTP to drive it to the service centre.

From there they sight the car and refer to police. So I take it to police and they do a check on car and where I got it from.

They issue a new surrogate VIN and I get it stamped (by police I think). Then I go baaack to Main Roads with new number and they issue rego.

Happy days, drop a skid  :nudie:

#8 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

So I went and saw the nice people down at Main Roads after a chat to the engineer.

Sounds like it will be a cinch. I just need the engineers report and application for rego so I can get CTP to drive it to the service centre.

From there they sight the car and refer to police. So I take it to police and they do a check on car and where I got it from.

They issue a new surrogate VIN and I get it stamped (by police I think). Then I go baaack to Main Roads with new number and they issue rego.

Happy days, drop a skid  :nudie:

AFAIK The police can only issue/stamp a surrogate chassis number and not a VIN number as that is the one missing and as said before, the body number should be on your ADR tag which is the one in front of the driver.

Barry

#9 cool72

cool72

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Name:Glen
  • Car:72 XU1 Fe2 O3 HATCH

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi Nicko, I went thru a similar process not long ago with a HQ or maybe WB, different numbers.

Went to local Magistrate court office, it doubles as Transport Dept as well, then up to cop shop.

Police officer came to my house and inspected the ute. After a couple of days I was issued with a surrogate  number.

The who did the roadworthy stamped the new number.

It was a little tedious but worked out well

Good luck mate

Glen

#10 _nowaynicko_

_nowaynicko_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Sounds good cool thanks mate :)

I got the impression it was a bit tedious but thats ok I want it done right.

Definitely given me a shot of motivation to get more done. Got a little bit of coin coming in too so can get some new bits!

#11 cool72

cool72

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

I don't know what happened with my last post, but ,the guy that did the safety certificate / compliance stamped the new chassis number on the chassis 

Glen

#12 _nowaynicko_

_nowaynicko_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

Yeh I got it mate, all good :)

#13 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Is this the same in WA? My Commodore was never issued with a VIN however it was licenced in Victoria when I bought it.

#14 cool72

cool72

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

Don't know mate, it starts with a question and then leads on from there
Glen

0 user(s) are reading this topic