Gilly's LX Torana Sedan Project

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a fairly new member but a long time Torana lover. I've finally bought myself an 1977 LX SL to turn into an SLR mock up with an EFI V8, and I'm going to start a build thread to show you all what I'm doing and to get much needed advice along the way. It is my first project and I'm going to need a lot of your help haha!

Here are some pictures of it. It has a 202 in it which runs apparently. I had a crack at wiring it up to get it going but had less than no idea what to do with the birds nest of wires under the dash that someone has cut to hotwire it so that's a project for another time. It also has a supra 5 speed and I'm pretty sure everything else is stock except the fact the rear guards are rolled to fit bigger tyres in. The interior is pretty limited; its got two front seats, some door cards, and some of the dash haha. There is a random hole cut in the boot firewall too...probably for a sub, and that along with the other dings and stuff in that firewall will need to be fixed. (Sorry if the photos are big)

IMG_3044_zps4ed6428d.jpg

IMG_3060_zpsa9c0f5bb.jpg

_575_zps5678b673.jpg

_5710_zpsbd4d19b4.jpg

Let us know what you think! 

Also, the big debate I'm having with myself is whether to put a 304ci Holden in it or go straight to the LS1. I know the LS1 will require a lot of things to be replaced but that's fine. I've found a wrecked VX SS with a 140xxx km LS1 in it for under $4000. Would this be a good option?? Would I be able to get brakes, diff, and exhaust parts out of it and use them too?

Throw some questions/suggestions/opinions at me!

Cheers

#2 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

I should probably give a run down of the plans for it so you can have a better idea of what I'm doing

Body:

Strip paint off (hopefully don't find much rust!) and spray either white or yellow with SLR blackouts

SLR kit with flares and scoop etc

Drop tank

Drivetrain:

EFI V8 (either LS1 or 304)

Manual (5 or 6 speed, depending on what fits best and/or the deal I can get)

LSD of some sort

Exhaust:

Extractors

2.5 inch with a nice sound

Brakes:

Anything that will stop it nicely

Interior:

Fairly standard with a good sound system

Any advice is much appreciated and needed haha. 

#3 _roxzey_

_roxzey_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

that's a great looking project, it looks very straight. what is it like for rust?

#4 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

It looks like it may have a bit of bog in a few places but I did the old magnet check around the sills and problem areas and it seemed fine. Around the windows and the floor pans look good and I'm hoping I won't run into too many surprises!

#5 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Nice...looks like a good start for your project....well done :D

#6 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

Awesome man. Go the LS1, six speed combo and keep those rear wheels with no flares.

Paint it white which ever way you go.

#7 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Haha thanks Brad. It does look good without flares...I've always wanted one with a kit though. Do you reckon the donor car is a good way to go? I can get the whole car for $3500.

#8 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

I vote LS1 of course, ha ha..

Looks like a good project! :spoton:

#9 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

I vote LS1 of course, ha ha..

Looks like a good project! :spoton:

Hi Jeff, haha it is an obvious choice for yourself. What do you think about the donor car idea? $3500 for a written off VX SS with a 140xxx km LS1 and 6 speed manual in it. What parts could I use off it for the Torana? (Brakes, diff, exhaust etc)

#10 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

I can't really say what the VX would be worth...need a local to help with that, ha ha.. Don't really see how you could use the diff, and the exhaust you might be able to chop up, use some of it, and piece back together but pretty much just going new custom stuff from a good exhaust shop is the way to go I reckon. The brakes are not going to just swap on of course either.
But that said, what you don't use you could probably ? sell back off at least.

#11 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Haha thanks Brad. It does look good without flares...I've always wanted one with a kit though. Do you reckon the donor car is a good way to go? I can get the whole car for $3500.

Yep not a bad way to go if you can afford it, have room to store it and activly look at selling what ever you can off it to get rid of it and recope dollars.

In the end,, free engine!!

#12 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Realistically it's only the engine and box you can use. Depending on if you leave it injected or not will determine whether or nor you need the computer.
Going manual will definitely mean modifying the tunnel, so if your happy to do that $3500 is about what you would expect to pay. If not using the manual, not worth the hassle. You can buy the engine for around $1500 - $2000 and no need to store another car and strip it.
Brakes are no good to you, diff not worth the muck around. Depends on what wheels/stud pattern you intend on using.

My best advise would be, get a well thought out plan, and do your best to stick to it. Will save you a lot of $$$$, and plenty of time! You should base your plan on your skill level if doing it yourself, along with budget, and Your budget if paying others to do it for you.

Good luck

#13 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Grant that's the sort of advice I need. 

I will suss out the storage options for this car and go from there! It seems pretty cheap and I would make the effort to sell off the other parts and make some money back once I've got the parts from it.

Thanks!

#14 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Ok I'm going with the LS1 I'm pretty sure. Got him down to $3000 for the whole car and more importantly I've got the approval to store the car haha. The engine has 148xxx ks apparently and ran well until it had a low speed prang which wrote the car off. The only thing is that the car won't start as there is an air bag error...does anyone know if this is a problem or how I can reset/clear the error code?

Looks like my little LX will be being pushed along by an LS1 with a 6 speed manual. Bring on the modifications/money!!

#15 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:43 AM

I'm pretty sure that if you grab a wifi/Bluetooth obd2 plug like mine($25 shipped from Asia) & download an app for your iphone/android like dash command, it has a diagnostic scan function & you can check every fault code & even turn that stuff off. But then again I've had a few tonight so I might be totally wrong.

Cheers, Nig.

#16 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

Bit of an update. Got the VX with the LS1 home yesterday after many dramas. I've got instructions from the parents to get what I want out of it asap so hopefully I'll have the engine and gearbox out and the shell gone soonish.

Just a wondering if anyone has advice on things they have used off commodores for their Toranas that I might not think of taking off? I'm gonna take stuff like the power windows and central locking off and try to have a go at getting them in the Torana maybe. I've also heard of people using commodore brake boosters and cylinders.

If there are any things I may not have thought of that might be of some use to me down the track just throw the suggestions this way.

#17 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Save as much as you have room for, particularly wiring harness and electrical stuff.

Fuel pump may be useful if you make a new tank.

Pedals, brakes.

Anything you don't use you may be able to sell and gain some (small amount) of cash back

Good luck and happy restoring

#18 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

I would get it running in the VX before you pull it, then you have a base to start with, rather than pulling your hair out if it doesn't run once installed.

#19 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Ok I will stick to the plan of saving as many bits as I can get off.

Yep that's the plan! I'll try to get it started in the VX and then go from there

#20 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Another good part of a plan would be keep talking to your parents and let them know what is going on with the cars so you don't have to rush things,,

#21 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

G'day everyone. I have a pretty boring update but I'll put some pictures up to make it more interesting! Thought I'd give you a look at the VX SS donor car firstly:

DSC_3199_zpsac40838c.jpg

DSC_3198_zps524b6bda.jpg

I have been disconnecting as many wires, hoses etc. from the engine as possible in order to get it ready to lift out. I have disconnected the A/C compressor and the power steering pump, removed the radiator and undone the tailshaft from the back of the gearbox. 

DSC_3197_zpsbbfe17f4.jpg

I am trying to keep as much wiring as possible from the VX, but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how much I actually need. I've found so many computers and things I never knew existed in the engine bay and under the dash and I have been keeping them all connected up so they'll just lift out with the engine. I thought I should also keep the engine bay fuse box and the one under the dash but I think it will be too hard to do this. How many of the computers and wiring do I need to keep? Here are some pictures of the computers/boxes/fuse boxes I'm talking about:

This one is the "Throttle Position Controller" and "Power Transition Module" or something (top) and what I think is the main computer under it 

DSC_3190_zpsfc9c4c60.jpg

And here are the other bits and pieces I am not sure if I should keep:

DSC_3191_zps67dd732c.jpg

So now I think I am getting close to being able to pull the thing out. Is it possible to pull the engine and box out together or do I need to separate them?? Also, any comments on the wiring I should keep are much appreciated!

#22 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

Motor and box should come out together as front crashed, cut it off and pull motor forward should not have to go up much

#23 _greg2240_

_greg2240_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

throw all the engine modules and computers out and put a carb and hi rise on it, I.M.O, saves lots of drama's, but an auto lecky will let you know what to keep, great donor though, keep up the good work

#24 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:45 PM

Why get rid of the technology that helps make the LS1 such a great package by throwing away all the EFI ? Doesn't make sense to me personally..

#25 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

Because its the Lazy way lol. Would it comply with emmisions without efi?

Why get rid of the technology that helps make the LS1 such a great package by throwing away all the EFI ? Doesn't make sense to me personally..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users