- - - - -

Gilly's LX Torana Sedan Project

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to keep it electronic to stick with the modern technology. LS1 Hatch do you have any suggestions as to what wiring to keep for dash and other parts? How did you go about wiring everything up?

#27 _old man torana 3_

_old man torana 3_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:29 PM

For wiring you could contact justin from ultimate conversion wiring he does a lot of LS1 conversions into different vehicles is also based in sydney and used to own a torana hatch not sure of his prices but you can check out his facebook page hope that helps a little

#28 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

I've been slowly dismantling my donor car and getting rid of it/storing the parts I need. Almost ready to get the car removed from my driveway finally!

Got the engine and gearbox out the other weekend:

LS1_zpsec069054.jpg

Does anyone know if it is worth cutting the transmission tunnel out of the commodore to weld in the Torana? Is this possible?

I've been getting distracted from my Torana progress by my newest toy: VS series III Maloo 195i:

IMG_4180_zps7c13ea19.jpg

IMG_4182_zps13633386.jpg

#29 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

You will only need tunnel mods if running the 6 speed

#30 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

Yeah I'm using the 6 speed so I thought it might be possible to weld the commodore tunnel into the Torana rather than make a tunnel from scratch? 

#31 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

So in the last 4 and a half years (wow) the Torana has moved around from storage place to storage place to finally land in my own garage last year as I finally bought a place with an over sized single garage. I've been accumulating parts when I can afford them and tools as well. Now I've bought a welder and some grinders I want to start doing bodywork, but first I wanted to ask a few questions:

1) Any suggestions on how to strip paint? I'm going to start on the engine bay and I have seen many different methods however I'm still not sure which to use? I'm leaning towards an angle grinder with a flap wheel on it but not sure how that will go getting into the corners etc. Paint stripper sounds like a nightmare... 

2) I'm not ready to buy a compressor and spray gear yet, so when I'm cutting rust or going back to bare metal, am I able to use a spray-can primer to protect the small sections in the mean time? What product should I use if I want to paint in 2K eventually?

Cheers

#32 _tj81_

_tj81_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:14 PM

Just a word of advice, take it with a grain of salt.

Your rear parcel shelf, to me, looks like the speaker holes have been cut out for 6X9's or something, if so, then you will need to address that for a RWC, along with that sub hole in the back seat. Might be a prick of a job so id be preparing to deal with that too

#33 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:17 AM

Strip discs are better than flap discs.

My suggestion would be to buy a compressor now.

As you strip areas, etch prime them as you go.

Im using a 2 pack etch on my latest project.

For the hard to get corners, a cheap sand blaster will be handy.

A cheap compressor and cheap spray gun will do for starters, and upgrade as you can.
Seems silly to spray with something that will likely need to be removes again later.

#34 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

Yeah I want to fix the dodgy holes in the parcel shelf and behind the seat too. Wasn't aware it may be an issue with the roadworthy so thanks for that!

Thanks Rob, I'll look into strip discs and I will keep looking for compressors but not sure how the funds will stretch for a while haha. 

#35 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

I know you all like photos so here's one of the rear seat I miraculously scored recently

IMG-0178.jpg

Edited by Gilly91, 23 January 2019 - 08:45 AM.

#36 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:08 AM

Check the usual places like ebay.

I started off with a cheap compressor from supercheap.

Direct drive piece of crap. Was only a couple hundred new on special from memory.

Bought a cheap spray gun. 40 or 50 bucks.

That will be good enough to get you started.

What paint you will be laying down will be covered up anyway.

I got Protec 2 pack etch primer from Wollongong Industrial Supplies.

Lay it on, but dont worry about trying to smooth anything until you are ready to do the high build primer etc.

Even that stuff can be laid on with a cheap gun, because it will be rubbed back anyway.

In the meantime, save up for a good belt drive compressor and a good spray gun to do the final stuff with.

I only just sold my old direct drive compressor for 50 bucks.

Nothing wrong with it either. Just wanted an up grade.

#37 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

Welcome back Daniel, look forward to seeing what you can do with the new space and tools. :)

#38 Big_Red

Big_Red

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:LH Torana

Posted 26 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

Definately don't use flap disks for removing paint. Some people use paint stripper but personally I'm not at all a fan of it. It's horrible stuff to use, a pain to clean up and have to use gloves etc. My dad as many, use a rotary sander/polisher. A makita one will set you back around $350-400 or you can buy cheaper brands which still have warrenty. Along edgings and like around the gutters etc you can buy wheel attachments and use a power drill, different to wire wheel which tends to polish the metal too much.

When we where doing my Toyota I brought one of the bigger compressors that could be used with a 10amp outlet (check what your shed has before buying!). It was a spear and Jackson brand one. It's direct drive and likely a Chinese unit, however it's bigger then your typical $199 supercheap unit so keeps up for spraying and does alright with high volume air tools. It had ran for +30mins constant without self destructing. It's about to do a second car. Peerless is the brand to get of you can afford it. I considered bit but the specs where much the same as the cheaper one I brought. I also wasn't convinced that the cheap/smaller pearless where not Chinese anyway just twice the price.

Dad just brought another new spray gun. It velocity brand one that our local rarespares stock, I know other paint shops also sell them to. Dad feels it's a good entry level gun and has had one in the past also. He sprayed my Toyota with it at home and I was extremely happy with the results.

Good to hear you have got some space of your own. Always a tough gig doing major stuff at the parents place. Thankfully mine have always been pretty supportive of my passion.

#39 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

BTW I don't know how likely it is that a RWC guy is going to give a shit about whether there are speaker holes in a parcel shelf. If you're worried and don't want to weld them up, you could also very readily put a plain panel on either side of it.

#40 _Gilly91_

_Gilly91_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

Ok an orbital sander/polisher and a compressor are definitely on the list of things to buy but paying this bloody house off is slowing the buying of anything down a lot haha. I've got a 15A circuit getting wired into my garage for my welder so I'll be able to use that for a big compressor if I get one. 

I will probably weld a new rear shelf in or at least clean the holes up because whoever cut them had no interest in doing a neat job. 

I've been busy doing another project the last few weeks which is a fibreglassing job on my hard cover for my ute. Hopefully I can get a compressor soon so I can have a go a spraying on that! 

#41 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

I use a poly strip disc and wire brush, both fit on angle grinder

the poly disc takes paint off like crazy but real messy

the rotary wire brush gets into the corners and grooves

I buy them online

there is a Brumby brand that M10 Bunnings sell but more expensive.

they are blue, black and purple and think different grades

work faster and last much  longer than flapper discs.

#42 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:26 AM

Under the new rules you dont actually need a seperate circuit.

Provided that the circuit is protected by a circuit breaker, and not a fuse, it will be okay.

The term is something like.. limited by circuit breaker.

The old rules of only x number of points per circuit, and dedicated circuits for 15 Amp are gone.

You can have 30 plus power points on a circuit now and still be legal.

The older rules were definitely a better way of doing it in terms of reliability etc.

Newer installations will have homeowners going and resetting breakers all the time as they load up the circuits.

Makes it cheaper for the initial installation, but the way most dumb house basher electricians wire houses these days, it will be very difficult to split circuits in the future.

#43 Big_Red

Big_Red

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:24 AM

Ok an orbital sander/polisher and a compressor are definitely on the list of things to buy but paying this bloody house off is slowing the buying of anything down a lot haha. I've got a 15A circuit getting wired into my garage for my welder so I'll be able to use that for a big compressor if I get one.
I will probably weld a new rear shelf in or at least clean the holes up because whoever cut them had no interest in doing a neat job.
I've been busy doing another project the last few weeks which is a fibreglassing job on my hard cover for my ute. Hopefully I can get a compressor soon so I can have a go a spraying on that!

So long as you can afford the repayments maybe don't stress to much about the mortgage. I'm looking forward to getting my personal loan paid off for the Ute, but since buying my house I've still been able to use the drift car a few times, buy a 3rd fun daily driver and now a 4th project (Torana). All about not biting off too much and prioritising your money I guess.

Im pretty sure a previous owner used a hammer to make the holes bigger for 6x9s in my drift car. Why people insist on butchering things is a mystery. I don't recall seeing anything about speaker holes as being a reason for rejection for rwc. But different states have different laws.

#44 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:05 AM

Aaron, you need to remember that there was a time when Toranas in particular were nothing special.

Most cars were just a daily driver, particularly for the younger ones whp wanted better stereos etc.

Some of the cars that these days fetch ridiculous money, were once available for a carton.

It was quite common for people I knew to write off a car, or blow an engine and just get another car the next day.

My mates wrecking yard had many cars that were just dropped off. They werent worth anything. But today................

Often he just didnt have the room for them, and they just took the car to the local tip.

Getting the stereo working was more important than finding something to cut a neat hole.

#45 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:23 AM

We installed speakers in mates girlfriends front doors on her datto 1200 which she was off going around Australia in. Soon to realise we couldn’t wind down the windows. Big fat clarion or pioneer slung underneath. If it had a loudness button then it was top of the range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#46 Big_Red

Big_Red

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:17 PM

Getting the stereo working was more important than finding something to cut a neat hole.

Yeah I still don't get that. I can't say I'd hack holes to put in speakers, even in a shit box. If it takes 5mins to make a shit job of it, or 10mins to make a half respectable job, I know which I'd do or not bother at all :) plenty of folks don't think that way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users