Expectations

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Over the next few weeks I intend on giving my Torana a blast down the 1/4. It's basically a stock LS2 6 litre with a very mild cam, 224/232 by memory. It's a manual T56 with a 4:11 diff. I have taken a few people for a drive and have had mixed ideas on the outcome, or at leat their thoughts on my times. It's fair to say that I can drive, however it has been a long time since I have taken a car down the strip. I intend on using a street slick on the rear to help with grip. I have had thoughts from low 13's to high 11's. I'm guessing/hoping for a mid to low 12.
My question is; Are my thoughts realistic? Should I be able to get better? Will slicks make much of a difference?

I have herd people say how fast they think their car is, but have never taken it to a track to find out. I don't think running a 12 is very easy, but every one I speak to thinks their car is an easy 11. Seems some people's expectations are quite high.

Ant thoughts? I'm just curious. Weather permitting I will find out on May 6..

Cheers

#2 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Craig from our club has a camed LS2, with 420hp at the wheels, at eastern creek his best run was low 12's at 120mph. Could not get it out of the hole with street tyres (225 x 17). There is a lot more to it than just having good power. Slicks make a huge difference!

#3 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

Mine only made 370hp at the wheels. I understand HP is not everything, a proper setup goes along way.
When warming up a slick, how easy is is to over heat and start to melt them? I know it's not that hard with a street tyre

#4 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

I agree, mid to low 12 is very achievable with your car.

What size slick could you fit?

#5 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

I will answer that next week. I bought some off eBay but haven't picked them up yet. I may have stuffed up in that department. I pick them up on Tuesday

#6 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Ah ok cheers.

#7 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

If you can get traction I reckon you're good for 12's Grant.

I'm hoping to go low 13 but honestly haven't a clue what to expect. Car feels like it launches plenty hard but we'll see...

#8 _to4turbo_

_to4turbo_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

what it runs,it runs.

#9 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

Oh and to measure the difference changes make, I'm running it as is now and again after I make some mods so it'll give me a baseline. Really looking forward to it actually

#10 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Just be sure you match the rear tyres to to fronts as you'll come unstuck near the end of the track of you have radials & rags. It happened to me & I shit myself. You need to run the same yep of tyre on the front aswell as the back.

Cheers, Nig.

#11 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Hi Grant,

The lightest Rims help with spooling up, it is the pick-up speed you need ( everything rotating freely ), the less friction the better. Dave I

http://www.gmh-toran...e-2#entry809627

#12 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

what it runs,it runs.

I agree, but am qurious all the same.

Dave the rims will be commodore interceptors. It's pick up on the street is remarkable, had a giggle the other night with a Nissan GTR. After the first short stint he wouldn't even come back beside me he he he he.

I think the biggest factor will be my clutch control off the line, then my gear changes.

Daz, I think you may be surprised at your times.

#13 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hey Grant,

Sounds like low 12's coming up, and tuning all the bits together to lower for better times.

btw, could you weigh a Commodore Interceptor Rim ( without tyres if you can and with tyres too ) for the Wheel Weight thread please. Dave I

Dave the rims will be commodore interceptors.

#14 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

I can weigh the wheels complete, they come with the rims already to go.

#15 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

That will be nice Grant

#16 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

i found with et street radials they only need a hazing no need for a smoke show and they hook up fine

#17 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

i found with et street radials they only need a hazing no need for a smoke show and they hook up fine

That's good to know, I thought slicks needed a decent warm up. I will keep this in mind

#18 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

What tyres will you be running?

#19 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

I will let you know. I am picking them up on Tuesday, but I may have stuffed up on size
At this stage Mickey Thompson Sportsman, street radial. They come complete on rimes, but they are a 28", got a funny feeling I jumped the gun when purchasing. I think 26" may be the tallest I can run. Time will tell

#20 fatslr

fatslr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Name:Garth
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Everyone likes a smoke show but :3gears:

#21 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

Picked up the tyres today. Thankfully they are 26x10x15 so they should go straight on. I will find out tonight but the rolling diameter is only 635mm so should fit no stress. Now I just need it to stop raining so I can get it out and feel what difference they make.
They are Mickey Thompson Sportsman's. I think by looking at them they could be wider but this gives me a good starting point

#22 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

i think the sportsman are just the mickey thompson street tyres not sure how they go on the strip

#23 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

Now that is something I should have put a lot more time into checking before now!
I have had mates with them and used them on thevstip, not as good as ET Radials, but better than a street tyre.
I will confirm for you once I hit the street, then the track.
Well then again if they feel the same as my normal street tyres, I will be out buying a set of ET's next week!!!!!

#24 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Got any pics of them?

#25 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Aren't the Sportsman pros a cross ply tyre?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users