152 replies to this topic

#51 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

Dane , don't ever feel that you should leave your car home ...... it's too nice a car to not be at any events.

#52 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

First of all thanks to the members that have complimented about my award, I was much chuffed but on the other hand I felt very awkward accepting the award after being involved in the judging.

I entered this Event being an entrant and was asked along the way prior to the Event to have an input and be Part of a team to inspect these cars in which I accepted.

It was certainly a task in itself, we were all under the pump for 3 full days.

I learnt heaps over the weekend not only from the other guys involved in the judging but the owners and their cars them self’s, it was certainly a friendly atmosphere the entire weekend and only the people involved in the Event will know.

I can tell you that at no point in the entire weekend any of us were bagging anyone’s car on how it looked or what it had on it. We all had open minds and all talk freely amongst our self’s and also to some entrants regarding their cars.

All we were trying to do was the job that was asked, to identify a model and to sort through what was in our view the best example in each category/class of how it would have left the factory/Dealer.

There were other categories for the other/ less original cars that entered also. There were also number of cars that were not judged because of the owners choosing not to which was fine.

We actually had to convince a couple of owners to have their car judged because we all thought they were better then what the owner was making out. Especially in the unrestored class.

As everyone knew at the Event once a Judges car was up for Scrutineering the owner of the car left the team for the other Judges to inspect their car and it wasn’t spoken about until the final points were counted at the end of the day. And quite frankly we didn’t have time, once a car was finished we had to move straight onto to next.

And still today I don’t know what the other Judges picked that was wrong on my car, all I know there were a few things.

All in all the weekend for me was great and I certainly learnt a lot from it. To the other Judges and I know a couple get on here, it was great to work and get personal with you.

I think in the future for me if I attend another event like this and asked to be involved in the Judging, then I will leave my car at home.

Dane no need to explain yourself mate judging is a tuff gig as I have done it.... your car is a more than a worthy winner absolutely beautiful car mate I to would like to know what was missing from your car as it would be one of the best I have seen....would have liked to have caught up with you on the birdwood display day but I could see how busy you were judging...just a question mate was you a little bit worried about the jacks on the grass under your car because I was lol...

#53 XU-1 RAT

XU-1 RAT

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

congratulations dane,but as you "stated" you were asked prior to the event to be a judge,so with this a event it should have been a case of judge or to be judged can,t be both, and as you stated in your thread about your car that it has restamped block. Is it true that (3) of the cars that won had restamped blocks so really the standard was poor for nationals?

ps boys club  

#54 _GTR69_

_GTR69_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

Great that you brought the car for all to see. This is a part of Australian motoring history, good on you for taking the time to bring it out for us all to see,and to do the judging. I for one would not have seen it locked in your garage. Glad that everyone that attended enjoyed the event and I love seeing cars like this out and about.

#55 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Well done Dane and to others that entered.

Cheers Dave

#56 Captain

Captain

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

Just wondering if this is a forum members car?

I'm curious as to what the interior code is because my car is supposed to have orange houndstooth and was wondering if it is the same code.

20140419_130233_zpsf99498f3.jpg

Hello Potta - that's my old mans car. I haven't posted on here in ages. I ordered the houndstooth fabric from the USA about 6 or 7 years ago. I'll get him to look up the details as he still has the correspondence. The process to get the material was like pulling teeth. It took 1 year from order date. They kept stuffing up the colour (I assume it is dyed from white). Anyway, excuse after excuse, we finally got the product. I think it cost around about $500 back then. I'll get back to you.

Regards
Kirk

#57 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:2005 CV8 Monaro

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

So, where & when's the next nationals?

#58 Captain

Captain

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

Potta,

The trim code for the Indy Orange Houndstooth is: 1808-40L.

It was purchased from SMS Autofabrics in the USA. (I'm not sure if this contact info is still current)

350 South Redwood St,

Canby, OR, 97013 (I assume OR is Oregon).

PH: (503) 263-3535

www.smsautofabrics.com

[email protected]

We dealt with a guy named Doug - Who I'm not sure is still there.

They initially sent a sample of the fabric, which was perfect and received quickly, then for whatever reason it took 1 year to perfect the order. I will say that the final product was very good.

Here is a link to an old thread (I hope this works)...

http://www.gmh-toran...pictures/page-2

Let me know if you need any further info.

Regards

Kirk

#59 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

So, where & when's the next nationals?

2016 dont know where though....

#60 lx308

lx308

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:2005 CV8 Monaro

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Daryl. WA hopefully.

#61 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

Thanks Kirk, very helpful.

Has that car been in WA at all?

I took some pics of a very similar one at Whiteman Park a few years ago, before I was even thinking of buying a GTR.

#62 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Dane , don't ever feel that you should leave your car home ...... it's too nice a car to not be at any events.

Thanks.

Dane no need to explain yourself mate judging is a tuff gig as I have done it.... your car is a more than a worthy winner absolutely beautiful car mate I to would like to know what was missing from your car as it would be one of the best I have seen....would have liked to have caught up with you on the birdwood display day but I could see how busy you were judging...just a question mate was you a little bit worried about the jacks on the grass under your car because I was lol...

Hi Daryl

Thanks mate, yeah would have like to have met you to in person aswell but as said it was a full on day.

I only just had time to zip through the Museum just before they closed at the end of the day.

Regarding the jacks under the car I didn't really look at it to much until a guy came up to me late in the day and said you better get the jacks off, when I went over my eyes almost popped out of my head because of the lean on the front jack. lol

Great that you brought the car for all to see. This is a part of Australian motoring history, good on you for taking the time to bring it out for us all to see,and to do the judging. I for one would not have seen it locked in your garage. Glad that everyone that attended enjoyed the event and I love seeing cars like this out and about.

Cheers it was a great weekend.

Well done Dane and to others that entered.

Cheers Dave

Thanks Dave.

2016 dont know where though....

Goulburn 2016 has been mentioned, but until someone takes the rains and organises it then it may not happen.

#63 DMLC71

DMLC71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name:Daz M
  • Car:1971 LC 4 door

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hi Potta, I had my seat trim done in black and white hounds tooth. It was done by Supertrim Coburg Vic 9354 1275. It was 5 years ago and I was deciding on orange at first and they had the material. By the way they trimmed my whole interior and perfect and top blokes
Daz

#64 peterd

peterd

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Name:Peter

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Danes car won the Gold award for LJ XU1. There was gold silver and bronze awards in each category. The Top award which was for Excellence went to Ted Walkers GTR from Qld. If you had been there and seen it you would have understood why he won the award.

The judging was done using a points scoring system and it took into account the items mentioned like wheels etc. Points were deducted accordingly if seven inch rims were used vs steel rims etc. At the end of the day the total points awarded by the judges determined the cars placing so it was not open to favouritism.

All the judges did a fantastic job and as an entrant I would go to a future event  judged by them as I found them completely beyond reproach. The fact that some of their cars won awards is completely coincidental. Under the points system if the car was good enough it won an award. To infer favouritism is unfair these guys they do not deserve that.

It is amazing that we had such a great event, all the participants had a great time, there were no politics and certainly no nit picking yet we now have to see these sort of comments on the forum. If you was not there or cannot offer constructive comments then don't say anything at all.

#65 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

diddo Peter .

not everyone could be a winner. i saw all the cars that won  and they all deserved to win. end of story !

they were all of the highest standard and way beyond anything i have seen before.

G

PS even the ones that didn't win deserved a medal even getting to the event was epic in it's self.

#66 GTR469

GTR469

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

Everyone who entered was a winner. Those who did not enter, missed out on a great event with great people and great cars.

Congrats to Dane, you certainly deserved an award after your attention to detail.

#67 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Especially, all the Torana's were winners,

not everyone has one, and the carpark had some good one too, from what I seen in this Thread. Dave I

#68 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LJ XU1 V8 (SALAMANCA RED)
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

Had a great time, with great people & great cars, a memorable event.

#69 nstood

nstood

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Name:Neil Stoodley
  • Car:1970 LC GTR Verdoro Green

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

It is hard to pick some of the greens apart, can someone identify a verdoro that actually represents the way it looks in the flesh please?

#70 _Tangey_

_Tangey_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Looks like it was a great weekend and quality cars. Would of liked to go but couldn't.

When the judging is carried out in the right way it makes no difference if some of the cars are owned by judges.

It can be expected that people with great experience and knowledge will own cars that should be entered and judged.

The point system when used correctly allows for the most correct car in the category to win, that's it.

So good on every one for making it and having a great time. Really lovely looking cars. 

#71 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Does the points system change from event to event or is there just one protocol per club as my thinking it would be a huge list to knuckle everything . anyone have a list of it or is it too secretive     :lock:

must say some very nice cars in the pics , thanks for posting , looked like a great weekend for you guys.

#72 _Pfitzy_

_Pfitzy_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:54 AM

Hi All,

Credit must go to Todd and Lucille for their hard work organising the event as they had many problems. Had a terrific weekend meeting new people, herd many stories with perfect weather.

"Happy Days" Greg.

#73 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

Re - Judging ,   having had a very long experience with car shows one common thing always appears , judging and awards always bring out the worst in some people when their pride and joy does not win an award.

'His car shouldn't win because i spent six times the money on mine ' , óh he's mates with the other judges that's why his car won '   yada, yada, yada ......  who gives a flying rat's fuck ..... seriously get over it or step up to the plate and get involved with the process or just shut the fuck up ......

This event , forum is about cars not fucking personalities .... yeah cars , remember them ?????

Laz

#74 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

I think that is a bit harsh Sagman ,as it wasn't just a car show , it was the Nationals .

#75 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

Ok I have come up with a very simple solution to the judging side of things for our all torana day this year all entrants must bring their own trophy on the day that way no one can bitch about who wins what lmfao....

in all seriousness though people should just be glad the cars are out on display for all to see as without the cars you have no show maybe just maybe there should be no judging that way only the true enthusiasts will come...

I know from having attended 4 monaro nationals the amount of other entrants and public bagging other people's cars because they thought another car was better ect ect was absolutely amazing its about the cars not a frOcking $12 trophy....

Back on topic now to all that entered and took a trophy home well done amazing cars every single one of them...

Edited by bullitA9X, 26 April 2014 - 11:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users