Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hi All,

Firstly to all the other forum members that have already posted build threads and info on the forum, thank you! There is a great amount of information on here that makes resto work easier.

I have been on the forum for a while taking it in and throwing my 2 cents worth here and there and decided it was time to start my build thread. So here is the history up to present on my build.

I am restoring a 1977 Torana Sunbird or Holden Sunbird or just Sunbird depending on what you want to call it.

My Dad was a Trading Post Dad, got it every Thursday morning and circled all sorts of things by the time I got to it at the end of the day.

He was most disappointed when it went out of print and became online only but before it that happened he bought this car because it was in good nick and he likes to buy stuff. I understand it was a 2 owner car as a young bloke had bought it from his Grandad, had 96000km’s and faded paint, manuals in the glove box and pretty original etc.

It was registered and available to be used so I did use it and one day when the oil pressure dropped in the Starfire 4 cylinder and it ceased to turn I spent a weekend swapping in a 308 and Turbo 350.

I used it for about 6 months before I got the traveling bug and went overseas in 2000. It then sat in a garage for a few years with another of Dad’s Trading Post purchases, an MG from 1966.

When the garage was no longer available the Sunbird sat in a yard and the grass grew around it until June 2011 when I decided it was time to restore it.

Thought I could get it running and have a paint shop touch it up and back on the road for $10,000. Well as many of you will know I was very wrong and it is still in resto mode and the $10,000 mark was passed long ago.

The pictures will show the work but at present it sits in a mate’s garage with new paint, front and read screens installed and a new roof lining from Cools Auto Trim. Has a new 9inch diff and needs everything else to be put back in it.

I am trying to fit an LS1 and T56. Engine and gearbox were in and out about half a dozen times early on as I tried to work out how to clear the rear cross member near the shifter hole and have enough sump clearance up front. I am still trying to work it out. Did have some trouble with the Tuff mounts allowing enough clearance to the cross member and after talking with Jason from Velocity Auto have just received a new set of arms I am yet to try but hope will make it all fit.

I plan on modifying the original loom and buying the HP Tuners software so I can get it running without VATS and tuned to suit the installation. I will probably make the extractors using one of the 4-1 kits from DiFillipo exhausts.

I have a short extension housing for the T56 I got from Mal Wood Automotive that also I have not finished fitting but hope it makes all the difference around the rear cross member.

Once I have the extension housing fitted to the gearbox and the new Tuff Mounts I am hoping it fits and lines up. I don’t want to have to cut the tunnel and if it means cutting I may go back to the 308 or spend the cash on a TKO600, will wait and see.

Wheels will be Walkinshaw 5 spoke, brakes will be VN or later, interior will be fairly standard looking with material inserts in the chamois vinyl, paint is original Aquarius

Pictures below should show the work sequence. Hope you all enjoy and thanks for the help so far as I have learnt a lot without having to do it.

Progress from here will be a little slow as I am working overseas for the next few months but hope to get into it later in the year and be driving it before Christmas (although I did originally think the whole project would only take me 6 months).

Cheers, Tom

Guess it was more than long grass

Attached File  22 june 2011 (1).JPG   165.41K   29 downloads

Cut the grass

Attached File  22 june 2011 (5).JPG   167.78K   28 downloads

Rats had made a nest under the brake booster

Attached File  22 june 2011 (3).JPG   164.44K   27 downloads

Spiders had made babies inside

Attached File  22 june 2011 (4).JPG   170.83K   27 downloads

In the shed ready for the resto

Attached File  P1000800.JPG   168.43K   28 downloads

#2 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:32 AM

Started stripping it to get it blasted

Attached File  P1000808.JPG   164.26K   24 downloads

Attached File  P1000836.JPG   153.62K   26 downloads

Then all of a sudden it looked like this

Attached File  P1020284.JPG   162.99K   23 downloads

One of the 1st attempts

Attached File  P1020356.JPG   152.99K   22 downloads

Plenty of room here

Attached File  P1020356.JPG   152.99K   22 downloads

#3 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Looks like it was a great body to start with. What model are these? Is it an LX Sunbird?

#4 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

And now it looks like this

Attached File  P1080104.JPG   160.31K   21 downloads

Attached File  P1080096.JPG   154.81K   20 downloads

Yes it is an LX Sunbird

The i.d. tag says LX Torana so guess it is the Sunbird model of the LX

#5 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Not 100% sure but I thought the sunbird LX was the 4 cylinder model???

#6 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

8UG69???

#7 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Wow!
I had an lx sunchook same colour and trim combo. Mine had the opal 4 banger in it.
Your car brings back some memories!

#8 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Nice to see another LS powered car coming together :)

And that sure is tall grass! ha ha..

On the trans, I used a camaro box in mine, and did need to raise the tunnel along with some other trimming and plating here and there. Along with making my own crossmember of course too. Quite happy how it all came out in the end though and as you'll see...plenty of fun to drive!

#9 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

Awe cool. I love how you've stuck with the original colour too. Be sure to share plenty of photos of the rest of the build.

#10 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Sunbird only came in LX series didnt it? body looks like it came up okay after a blast. :)

#11 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

It was originally the 4 cylinder 1.9L with floor shift auto

Same cross member as the rest so was easy to go to 308 

I was not sure about the colour as I really like Barbados green and the Brock blue from the 85 VK but once I made 

the decision to go with the original colour never looked back.

It looks more green in the flesh, can't get it to come out right on camera

Hardest part is being away for work and not being able to do anything for the next few months

#12 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

That looks cool ...well done

#13 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Not sure if the Sunbird was LX only.

Trimmer and diff shop thought it was a UC being a Sunbird but it definitely is an LX.

Can't remember the engine code and won't be able to access it for a few months

Glad the colour and LS1 are appreciated by others, thanks

#14 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Just for your info, the LX and UC Torana used the Sundird option, it was the 4 cylinder variant.  LH's 4 cylinder version was the Torana 1900.  Hope that clear things up :-)

Nice car by the way.  Love Aquarius....

#15 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

Bloody hippies...............

#16 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:31 PM

Time for an update

Put the pinch weld on around the door frames and 2 of the door rubbers, need to drill some more holes in the other 2 doors as looks like they were welded up in the rust repair process

I bought a shorter gearbox extension housing from Mal Wood and have fitted it to the T56 and put the engine and gearbox in again. Got some new Tuff mounts from Velocity as the ones I was originally sent were different lengths.

Had to disassemble the gearbox completely to change the shift rail for the shorter extension housing. Might get my reassembly checked and have it shimmed by a professional.

The shifter ends up in a better spot and the cross member behind the gearbox will not need modifying however the tunnel will still need to be raised, can't get the gearbox high enough to fit the rear mount without it hitting the tunnel.

I didn't want to cut the tunnel and am yet to decide if I will. Weighing up best options. Looks like it is the only way if I am to continue with the LS1 and T56 and I think I am past the point where I want to put the 308 back in.

Attached File  P1090109.JPG   151.59K   14 downloads

Attached File  P1090133.JPG   156.63K   15 downloads

Attached File  P1090145.JPG   148.07K   16 downloads

Attached File  P1090158.JPG   154.28K   15 downloads

Attached File  P1090154.JPG   164.3K   14 downloads

#17 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

lol. You can't stop now!.

#18 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

Attached File  P1090180.JPG   157.53K   15 downloads

Some more progress, better buy a MIG

#19 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:59 AM

Nice progress so far, and the floor will come together ok once you get the welder going !

#20 Jay#2

Jay#2

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Car:1976 LX 4 door

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:34 AM

That shorter gearbox housing really makes it a good job, should be easy enough to form the trans tunnel around that.

#21 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:22 AM

It looks similar to the factory F body setup? Here is the one in mine. (Out of a 2000 Camaro) Might be a little shorter still actually.. Street & Performance over here was selling a couple different style rear housings as well from memory..

Attached Files

#22 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:11 AM

You're right it will come together easy once I have a welder

Although I was trying to not cut the tunnel it does make it easier and it will be easy enough to get it back together. Spoke to the engineer and he said any welding on the new tunnel has to have at least a 15mm overlap and I was worried it would be difficult to make a nice neat butt weld so that is some relief

With the short extension housing I did not have to cut the cross member behind the gearbox so although it requires cutting the tunnel not cutting that cross member makes it easier on my skills.

Picture of the extension shows a bit better how much shorter it is

Attached File  P1090133.JPG   156.63K   17 downloads

#23 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

Did some more tinkering, have fitted door locks, inside door mechanisms, front windows and winders with new bailey channel etc and toyed with the idea of using the VZ dash from the donor vehicle.

Had to cut some plastic of the dash housing but might end a realistic option with some more work.

Attached File  P1090239.JPG   177.35K   13 downloads

Attached File  P1090235.JPG   158.76K   11 downloads

Attached File  P1090236.JPG   161.75K   12 downloads

#24 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:38 PM

Nice dash conversion Tom but I predict many hours of fun learning about GMLAN single-wire CANbus modules in your future!

Everything in that cluster is computer controlled over a "Controller Area Network" (CAN) that runs through the whole car, the instruments don't connect to the engine and transmission as with older cars but are instead 'told' what to display by the ECU and BCM. Same goes for the backlighting, warning lights, high beam/indicator telltales and the DIC (the little LCD screen).

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's gonna get mighty technical... maybe you know all this already? At least it sounds like you have a complete functioning donor car (or at least one that was) which is a huge head start, a lot of these CANbus modules are keyed to the vehicle's VIN as well so make sure you record every detail from the donor vehicle in case you ever need to replace anything later.

I'm following with interest as I've thought about transplanting a later model dash myself.

#25 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the info Andrew,

I know it won't be straight forward but am hopeful.

I have the entire loom from the car and both the original ECU and BCM

Hoping that like turning of VATS there may be options for which displays can be used, some time in the future I will plug it all in and see what I can work out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users