LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:31 PM

Well after living and breathing Torana's for a decade or more, kids have now entered my life - and so these days the spanners don't tend to come out as often as I'd like. Instead, it seems that cubby building has become a priority! My boys are 4 and nearly 2, so the latest project at my place is building them a backyard cubby house.

The master plan goes something like this: kids go to cubby and play - and leave Dad alone. Dad then goes to garage to work on Torana, without the "help" of the little mechanics. Will it work? Only time will tell.

I'm sure anyone with kids will agree - their help is great and often very entertaining, however productive effort decreases to approximately 25% at best. Something that used to take 2 hours to complete, now takes an entire day. So with both boys hell bent on helping with the cubby build - this could take a while!!

Anyway, let's get into it. I've already been getting stuck into this project for a while now, so I'll start at the beginning and walk through the build. It may interest others who are keen to tackle something similar. Anyone can walk in and buy a kit cubby of course, however when I looked at our local display centre I couldn't believe the prices!! We wanted an elevated platform (cubby on top, sandpit underneath), with decent slide, ladder and verandah. You can spend as much as 6 grand!! Add more if you want forts that link up etc...

Money is beyond tight for us these days, and my Dad is the King of hoarding stuff (especially timber) that "could be handy one day". We both love building stuff together so it was decided we would design and build this cubby using as much recycled (free) timber as possible. This would also make it a bit different and no doubt add some character.

Ok so here we go.... we have a decent sized backyard so we chose a nice spot along the fence-line but up towards the back... here's our blank canvas:

kids_cubby_01.jpg

For the main supports, we went for these old round treated pine posts. Funnily enough, I think these were removed from an old playground of a church many many years ago...

kids_cubby_02.jpg

Time to dig.... and it's all-hands-on-deck with my little helpers. Kids love dirt cos dirt is awesome!

kids_cubby_03.jpg

6 x stump holes at approx 700mm deep. Here's 1 year old Cruz working the post hole digger...

kids_cubby_04.jpg

And here's Butthead.... oh, I mean my eldest... Brock.... kids also seem to love holes...

kids_cubby_05.jpg

And here we are.... a completed platform standing 1.5m off the ground....

The end & inner beams are all 2nd hand hardwood, it's absolutely rock solid...

kids_cubby_06.jpg

kids_cubby_07.jpg

Dad wasn't happy - I went to Bunnings and bought some big gauge screws! I don't want this thing falling apart, so we can't skimp on everything. Total money spent thus far is now around $35.

kids_cubby_09.jpg

I would have bought yellow-tongue chipboard for the floor, with decking only on one edge for the verandah, but ended up using merbau decking boards for the entire floor - simply because good old Dad had a stash of 2nd hand boards that were recovered from the next door neighbours old deck. Far from perfect, but they'll sand up nicely...

kids_cubby_08.jpg

That ends part 1. More to follow soon.

Edited by LXCHEV, 04 May 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#2 _Borninsteel_

_Borninsteel_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

hey, I'd love to help But I persony hate working with Wood unless I have to burn it, them I'm in.
Speaking of, there's a A/ hole who lives behind me that loves wood. He worked for years making furniture for out Parliament House in Cambarra.
Still a nosy Fk a/hole that complains about whatever Is happening over the other side of the fence.
so...
have you got permission to build this cubby house because if a similar, nosy, back stabing A/hole lives next to you, you'll be pulling it down soon, unless its less that 6 ft high...

#3 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

Mate, he sounds like a fantastic person!! haha. Luckily for me all our neighbours are absolutely awesome. They give our kids Easter eggs, Christmas presents etc... and I don't mind a beer with them when time permits too.

Anyway, the floor was quickly finished, so next up was some wall framing. Pretty much stuck to 70 x 35 and 70 x 45 treated pine. All old timber that both Dad and I have collected over the years from tearing apart old structures, the majority from my house actually where the previous owners had built a weird extension from a bungalow to the house - which I completely replaced.

kids_cubby_10.jpg

kids_cubby_11.jpg

kids_cubby_12.jpg

kids_cubby_13.jpg

kids_cubby_14.jpg

We experimented with a few different angles for the roof, before settling on this one which looked just about right. Exact window sizes to be worked out later when adding more studs/noggins, but we allowed for approx 600mm, plus a decent sized door opening of course. Still haven't spent a cent yet on timber.

kids_cubby_15.jpg

#4 Covert

Covert

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Car:LH

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Nice work, would like to build one for my little critters, will be following your progress.

#5 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

Next up was the roof. We built this slightly different to the norm. 2 frames were knocked together, and then one side (the under-side) was cladded in 7mm plywood. It was always my intention to fully line the inside of the cubby including the roof, so by doing the roof at this stage was much easier, and as you'll see in the pics, gives a great result without the need for fiddly cutting inside, outside, eaves etc..it's all just one nice piece.

The downside... I started spending money as we didn't have any 2nd hand plywood. Just shy of $200 for a heap of sheets - hopefully it's enough to complete the internal cubby walls too.

kids_cubby_16.jpg

Roof panels going into place...

kids_cubby_17.jpg

Inside view, nice and neat...

kids_cubby_18.jpg

kids_cubby_19.jpg

Mmmmm power tools!!

kids_cubby_20.jpg

Another thing always on the cards was a nice new Colorbond roof to match our house. I love Colorbond! But more money.... oh oh, the snow-ball begins! This is starting to sound just like a Torana  build, haha :) Just under $200 again for roofing sheets and ridge capping.

We also had leftover sisalation (roof sarking) and insulation lying around, so we went all out and installed that too (insulation is only around $27 a roll anyway). The sarking should help with controlling condensation in Winter and also keep leaves and insects out. Overkill? Yeah probably.

kids_cubby_21.jpg

kids_cubby_22.jpg

Looks a million bucks from the top...

kids_cubby_23.jpg

kids_cubby_24.jpg

Crazy kids again.... the sisalation roll became a running track. 10 points for imagination...

kids_cubby_25.jpg

Edited by LXCHEV, 05 May 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#6 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:24 PM

Backyard Bar!! umm yeah cubby house. looks like a top notch job!

#7 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:20 PM

Cheers Stinga - I couldn't agree more, all I need is a TV, bar fridge, bed etc and I'll be set! I should seriously consider getting permanent power connected to this thing perhaps?

Ok so moving on I braced the walls with additional studs/noggins and builders strapping... it all made a huge difference in making the overall structure really solid...

kids_cubby_26.jpg

kids_cubby_27.jpg

kids_cubby_28.jpg

Wrapping it up prior to cladding.... I'm really glad I did this as the external boards tend to end up with gaps, so this should prevent bugs and spiders from taking over the boys room..

kids_cubby_29.jpg

kids_cubby_30.jpg

And finally it's time for the boards! Definitely the fun part. I looked into all sorts of cladding options... full size house weatherboards, cedar boards, panelling, blue-board... but ended up going for traditional old cheap 150mm treated pine fence palings.... I think they're perfect for cubbies & suit the landscape nicely.

kids_cubby_31.jpg

kids_cubby_32.jpg

kids_cubby_33.jpg

More pics tomorrow.

Edited by LXCHEV, 05 May 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#8 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,101 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

Great work Brett they will get years of enjoyment with that

#9 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

Wonder if the council will ask if you have a building permit ??? Lol.
The bastards here would

#10 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

That's the plan Ice, if they get 10 years of good use out of this I'll be rapt. My secret fear is that they'll lose interest once construction finishes, haha.

As for the council, apparently ours allow cubbies up to a certain height. The peak of ours would break this rule, so if they ever got that anal and hassled me I'd need to pull the height down a tiny bit. Good excuse to go underground and build a Batcave :) She'll be right. Wait till the council see what I have planned for my garage!

#11 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Awesome cubby!

#12 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

Solid and neat job. Once the kids get bored of it, store your Torana parts in it.

Marty

Edited by sibhs, 06 May 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#13 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

Good job Brett looks great. Personally I wouldnt have the fence paling as they just end up like your fence, either way they'll last 10 years easy.

You must live on a real slopey block as the floor looks crooked in a few pics lol. Nice job bud.

#14 shadey1963

shadey1963

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:5/72 LJ S 2 door Model
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

3 generations working on a project  GOLD

#15 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

From a couple of shots it looked abit like Ettamogah Pub.

Wish I had something like that as a kid.

Excellent job.

#16 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

Cheers for the comments guys.

Marty - I have absolutely no doubt that this will eventually become a storage shed, LOL. It should be fairly weatherproof by the time we're done.

LHSL308 - yeah I really wasn't keen to use the fence palings, but was struggling to settle on something else. I do plan to oil these once they've weathered in a bit. Either a natural oil or a stain. No idea what people use, but hopefully that will held extend their lifetime a bit. And yep - we're on a slopey block. It's drops 200mm just within the width of the cubby, but rest assured, it's level (my 4 year old promised me when checking the "floaty thingy"). He actually thinks the level is a weapon to fight off the Joker. Amazed all my tools haven't been broken with all their 'help' :)

Steve - 3 Generations alright, and it's bloody fantastic! Nothing better.

Rob - regarding the Ettamogah Pub - that would make a great cubby (as an exact replica).

Anyway, here's the latest shots for now...

kids_cubby_34.jpg

kids_cubby_35.jpg

kids_cubby_36.jpg

kids_cubby_37.jpg

kids_cubby_38.jpg

It's not even finished yet and they've already moved in!! The wife found this table & chairs online for $20...

kids_cubby_39.jpg

Time for some window & door frames - nothing fancy, but just machined down old hardwood. These will come back out again at some stage to be grooved for window runners...

kids_cubby_40.jpg

Getting close now, but ran out of palings. Also fitting up the main verandah posts... 2 old bits of cedar, and 2 old bits of something else. Once cleaned up, they look a treat. Remember, free is good!

kids_cubby_41.jpg

And finally all the external cladding is finished! All up, exactly $100 - by far the cheapest option.

kids_cubby_42.jpg

kids_cubby_43.jpg

Getting stuck into the internal cladding with more 7mm plywood, much more homely than a bare frame... not sure if I should paint it or leave it?

kids_cubby_44.jpg

kids_cubby_45.jpg

Window frames came up a treat...

kids_cubby_46.jpg

"Daaaaad - can you lift me up?" I'm so sick of that question - stairs must be next priority!!!

kids_cubby_47.jpg

And there's where I'm currently up to. Not a lot of time lately, and the weather has turned to crap, but progress will hopefully keep edging forward. Need to build stairs, front door, work out the windows (will be perspex sliding panels), buy a slide, and knock up some kind of handrail and balustrade. Bought more Colorbond too (some right angled fascias) which will finish the roof edges. For those interested, this now owes me around $750, maybe nudging $800. I never really had a budget in mind, but I'm happy so far.

Edited by LXCHEV, 06 May 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#17 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,101 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

All looks good brett but you just ruined the floor with that ugly mat
burn the bloody thing in the fire lol

#18 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

Great Ground up Construction Brett,

The only concern I see, is a need for some cross bracing at the supporting Poles, but they are in the ground deep though. Dave I

just a thought, lucky Kids, well done

Edited by TORYPOWER, 06 May 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#19 BIG KEV

BIG KEV

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Car:LHSLR5000 and The 6LT Project

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

Brett it doesn't matter what the cost or budget the time spent with your family ...father...son ...and kids is priceless when its all finished and the kids are playing and you sit back and watch them ....Top job and at the end of the day when the kids grow up and don't use it any more you can always cut it off at ground level and sell it on Ebay to someone who is not as handy as you ....Well done

#20 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

Just a suggestion.

Get some shade cloth and pin it up underneath the floor.

Will help stop it becoming a mozzie habitat.

#21 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

Gene, glad you like the mighty Hawks rug, it's a fantastic addition alright ;)

Dave, I've thought about bracing the lower section, but am yet to finalise what it will be. If the whole area becomes a sandpit, I'll box in the bottom with sleepers which should add a little bit of rigidity. I've also thought of enclosing one side with a wall, or even dividing it in half and making a storage / garage area on one side. Still undecided.

Cheers Kev, totally agree it'll be worth it no matter what. Watching the kids have fun in it already is very rewarding. If I can keep it in good condition, hopefully it's very sell-able in 10 years time, good idea.

I like the shade cloth idea too Rob - hadn't thought of that. As there are gaps in the decking boards, I've been trying to think of what to install to eliminate the gaps. Probably should have just bought some chipboard flooring really.

Cheers.

#22 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

That is a great effort by all.

#23 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,582 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Thank's for the Feedback Brett,

Sound's like you are on the Ball. Dave I

#24 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

Hi Brett, that is brilliant what you have made. It reminds me of the one I build in Adelaide for my daughter before I moved to Perth. She had a great couple of years playing in it before we left. The only timber I bought was the posts. Everything else was recycled from timber pallets and packaging timber from work. I even made the door from scratch myself.

Attached Files

#25 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,101 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Hate the bloody hawks Brett there so bloody good it shits me lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic